Clean wheels and stick-on weights

More threads by Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
I've cleaned late-ish MB wheels recently (E320) and found the stick-on wheel weights to be extremely frustrating and time consuming to remove. The lead (?) weights are stuck on with foam which is coated with adhesive on both sides. The only way to remove the weights without wheel damage is by carefully using a hammer and screwdriver (or chisel). The pliers that're normally used to remove the other type of wheel weights (that hook over the rim), just won't grab the stick-ons and if you try and slip, you could damage the wheels. And that's the easy bit!

With the weight gone, you're left with a bit of foam stuck on the inside of the wheel with the self-adhesive. Scraping the foam off with a safety razor blade appears to be the only option, but it's almost guaranteed you'll mark your wheels, even if you're careful. If you do manage to get the foam off, you're still left with the adhesive. So far I've tried to remove it with eycalyptus oil with no luck. I've yet to try goo-remover, acetone, thinners, prepsol, turpentine, or white spirits. I am worried some of these might strip the paint from the wheels.... Does anyone know what will work?? Any other ideas regarding these damn weights?

If you regularly balance your wheels and the tyre shop tries to do the right thing by removing the old weights first, you end up with short strips of black foam stuck all over the inside of your wheels. And that's because they're so difficult and time consuming to remove; it's not viable for the tyre shop to do it and they'd probably damage your wheels if they tried. Hence it's a good idea to personally remove your wheels at least every 12 months and give them a good clean; on the inside! It'll also ensure your wheel bolts aren't overtightened the next time you get a flat!

Pix to follow during the cleaning process.

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
What's that??? :confused::rolleyes:

Tony66_au

Found it!

Used to do exactly what you want to do and also removes pinstripes, left over detailing tape and bump strip adhesive etc

ae9dfe2f.png

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Where do you get em??? :confused:

Tony66_au

Any auto paint supplier will have em.

eBay too but it means you have to wait.

I usually buy 2 but they last a while and I removed the 6 stripe pinstriping from the side of a car not too long ago and used barely any of the wheel.

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
There's differeent designs with one that looks like a paddle wheel... Tony I like your tapered one but have searched via Google with no luck. An auto paint supplier; hmmm I'll do some more research....

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
I found the same thing, but it's not tapered.....

Tony66_au

the more industrial paddle style is a bit fragile, I bought one from Paintmobile Dandy a few years ago and its not a comfy thing to use on the end of a drill mate and it will come apart with use too.

Tony66_au

Heat gun and modified wooden scraper (Kitchen) or if you have some hardwood make your own narrow scraper.

Just be careful as most alloy wheels have a clear coat.

Styria

The Godfather
Where do you get em??? :confused:

Nock & Kirby or Macy's. Sorry boys, I am trying to be smart, and I don't think it 's working. Mark, the adhesive left over is a common feature of stick on weights removal. Try kero and prepsol - just keep on rubbing with a cloth. Forget the blade, it's not going to work.

Cleaning of wheels ? I never wait any longer than two months, if not less. Any period much longer than that, and it becomes a chore. Gleaming Beauty's wheels were bought (4) about five years ago - they are still almost spotless save for what ? You guessed right - left over glue marks. Regards Styria

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Sounds like a few of us need to source Tony's suggestion... As does every tyre shop! But if the wheels are dirty, you may find the strip / eraser wheel may pic up contaminants and use them as an abrasive....

Styria if you're using the car every day, I'm sure more regular cleaning would be in order. I try to do it when I'm servicing (every 6 months), as I usually have the wheels off already.

Tony66_au

You too huh!

I used to take mine off once a year and clean them both sides (Wheels).

Im going to take care with the Bundts on Lili and get them stripped and repainted with a nice clear coat over base colour.

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Ask and ye shall receive!!! Note the foam (some coloured white) in several postions. Because the wheels don't have a lip around the rim (front or back), the stick-on weights must be used. They're stuck on just behind the spokes and around the extreme inside of the rim. Front and back weights aren't spaced as far apart as the older style rims with the lip, but correct balance can still be achieved. At least on these wheels I can use Rimskins, unlike the earlier styles!!! :cool:

CIMG7068.jpg

Note the black foam on the left:
CIMG7072.jpg

They're all damn filthy!!
CIMG7071.jpg

CIMG7070.jpg

CIMG7069.jpg

I have cleaned them now using my normal process, but I had to resort to thinners to get off some stubborn stains. The wheels have been refinished before and it was a pretty poor job. I'd say the stubborn stains date back to the refinishing and poor clean-up.

The thinners made removal of the black tyre marks around the outside of the rim quite easy. Acetone did work, but it wasn't as effective. I also tried Shellite, turps, brake cleaner spray and prepsol; none of which worked. Old cut n polish didn't work either! I haven't tried kero yet. I just got some more eucalyptus oil, so I'll have a go with that. More pics when I've finished.

Tony who are you going to use to refinish your wheels?? I've had recommendations for Wheel Solutions in Moorabbin and Advanced Wheel Repairs in Burnley. I've yet to check them on the net....

Last edited:
OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Last edited: