Auto Brunch Event - St Ives

More threads by c107

Styria

The Godfather
The first car to attract my attention was a beautifully kept (partially restored) NSU RO80. This particular car still spotted a Wankel Engine, and those engines were responsible for the demise, and eventual take over, by Audi. Warranty claims simply sent them broke. I have driven anRO80 many, many years ago, and it was a splendid handler and very comfortable. A lovely large "glasshouse" and supremely comfortable seats. As a kid in Austria, NSU made beautiful Motorcycles, always characterized by their mellow exhaust sound - similar to to the horizontally opposed BMW twins. Note the interior dash layout - very similar to the 1974 Citroen DS23 also featured here. I can't help myself - I love those Citroen models, having driven a DS23 Pallas with push button clutch operation (by solenoid) with Fuel Injection and the torque from the 4 cylinder engine was remarkable. Also, those seats in this car - cloth and unbelievably comfortable. Much more so than leather.

The next car to feature is Bryce's Coupe. Beautifully proportioned and styled, and one won't find too many cars that are blessed with more value for money. Bryce uses his cars, and looks after them in a number of ways, and his Coupe could not find a more capable custodian. Next to the Citroen, a beautifully proportioned Jaguar - I did not look at the model designation, but the styling is exquisite. I should have looked at the interior of the car, but I do know that Jaguar do not cut any corners.
Next was the MGB GT with much modified Rover V8. The mods mainly relate to the intake manifold and location of Carburettors. Lovely sculptured wheels, and a nice collectable. Last in this segment, but not least, is a beautifully restored Armstrong Siddeley. I have never driven one, but I guess it's got to be close to top of the pile as far as the British product is concerned. Regards Styria (Phew !)

OP
c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
That DS has the very rare factory A/C system. You can tell by that upright console and the round vents. Very rare in Australia, most D's that had A/C were dealer fitted units.

That D, being a Pallas model has the upgraded Velour upholstery. My car, being a DS21 (non pallas) as the regular velour upholstery. There are many other pallas improvements to be seen in these photos. I won't list them all but they include the chrome embellishers behind the door handles, the white upholstery above the door cards, the carpeting on the horizontal surfaces, chome strips on the dashboard and much more.

This car is a DS23 Five speed Pallas. generally regarded as a pretty desirable spec. The weber carby is a lot easier to live with than the D-Jet fuel injection.

The semi auto was not allowed to be sold in Australia after about 1970, so you could get either the 5 speed or the BW35 on the DS, or the four speed on the D Special.

The semi auto was still available in other markets, so there are private imports but was never adapted to the new five speed transmission so they were always four speed.

Styria

The Godfather
My apologies for doubling up on some of these pictures. Obviously I haven't gotten the hang of the finer points when submitting pics., but I will get there IN THE NOT TOO DISTANT FUTURE. Regards Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Well thank you, some of the doubles have disappeared - I think. Obviously, I took some other pics as well, and hopefully I will be able to post them Where I have not mastered the procedure is when I try and comment on EACH photo. So anyway, let's try.20210307_093617.jpg20210307_094554.jpg20210307_094651.jpg20210307_094850.jpg20210306_182943.jpg20210307_094554.jpg20210307_093617.jpg20210307_094554.jpg20210307_094651.jpg

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
Well, well, well - in no particular order. Picture of Gleaming Beauty on the morning before I set off for St. Ives. I am still quite smitten by the looks and even colour scheme of Gleaming Beauty She has hardly turned a wheel since last June, Inspection date.
Next we have a beautifully presented Honda S2000. They are fetching quite high dollar figures nowadays. I believe the power from that 2 litre engine is quite exceptional, but I have reason to believe that the overly firm suspension will rattle your teeth - hat's if you've got any !
Time has not diminished the appeal of the MR2 Toyota. This particular example was in pristine condition, although am not totally partial to the white painted rims. Probably the correct colour, but I don't really know.

The next car, the Bertone Alfa, was probably one of the stars of this Show and Shine. Obviously Michel approved (see his cheesy smile), but he may have been swayed by the colour. This Alfa is just totally tops. BTW, it reminds me of seeing a Bertone Lancia Flavia in the Holden Dealership of N.G.Booth at Mosman for the price of $2000.00. What do you say ? Or, to digress unexpectedly, a 1964 Aston Martin DB4 drophead on Parramatta Auto Alley (Thompson Ford) for four grand. Wow, wow, wow.....about the same time frame, say 40 years ago.

The Maserati needs no comments - just gorgeous with twin plugs per cylinder, double overhead cams and a gorgeous body, What more can I say ?
The Mercedes - very imposing looking - impossible to fault and I even like the light grey. Under normal circumstances, with something a little less exotic, you could liken it to Grey Primer, but the shape of the Mercedes takes care of that. A few more to come, but I need a break. Regards Styria

Styria

The Godfather
So, what's next ? Not too much I am afraid. It was one of those days when it was difficult to take photos, but don't ask me why. I was about head off home, but then decided that I might as well utilize my time a bit better and explore what is really quite a magnificent, natural complex. Trees, Grass, Sand green open areas for them horses. It is an equestrian area. Three pictures that, in about sort of a way, stood out for me when I went exploring. First, there was this yellow van, and I had previously seen a picture of this make on a website about nine months ago - but never in the flash. The next was a young girl, about fourteen to sixteen years of age absolutely mesmerized by her mobile phone. She was sitting down, and her horse maintained the pose you see in the picture for the full fifteen to twenty minutes I was enjoying the equestrian activities. You be the judge.20210307_101938.jpg20210307_101950.jpg20210307_103217.jpg

OP
c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
I made it back again today and as usual it was a great event. Huge variety and some really interesting cars. I was parked next to a V12 Toyota Century.

sean sherry

Master
That DS has the very rare factory A/C system. You can tell by that upright console and the round vents. Very rare in Australia, most D's that had A/C were dealer fitted units.

That D, being a Pallas model has the upgraded Velour upholstery. My car, being a DS21 (non pallas) as the regular velour upholstery. There are many other pallas improvements to be seen in these photos. I won't list them all but they include the chrome embellishers behind the door handles, the white upholstery above the door cards, the carpeting on the horizontal surfaces, chome strips on the dashboard and much more.

This car is a DS23 Five speed Pallas. generally regarded as a pretty desirable spec. The weber carby is a lot easier to live with than the D-Jet fuel injection.

The semi auto was not allowed to be sold in Australia after about 1970, so you could get either the 5 speed or the BW35 on the DS, or the four speed on the D Special.

The semi auto was still available in other markets, so there are private imports but was never adapted to the new five speed transmission so they were always four speed.
Get the BW 35 Auto .........Cheap and easy to re-Build .... just ask ...

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Bryce, as usual, some really beautiful and rare cars. Just to recap, I do believe that this even is on the first Sunday of each month - if so, I might just try and make it in July. Thanks for your continued efforts. Regards Styria

OP
c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Hi Bryce, as usual, some really beautiful and rare cars. Just to recap, I do believe that this even is on the first Sunday of each month - if so, I might just try and make it in July. Thanks for your continued efforts. Regards Styria
Yes, that's right.
the St Ives one is 1st sunday and eastern suburbs one is normally last sunday.

Patrick_R

Grand Master
As always Bryce, fantastic coverage & images.

Probably one of the rarest cars there is that burgundy Brock Director.
This was the car that put the final nail in Peter Brock’s coffin.
It was also the car the infamous “energy polariser” was fitted.
Only 12 examples were made.

OP
c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
That car was unused - as in four figure mileage.
As always Bryce, fantastic coverage & images.

Probably one of the rarest cars there is that burgundy Brock Director.
This was the car that put the final nail in Peter Brock’s coffin.
It was also the car the infamous “energy polariser” was fitted.
Only 12 examples were made.

OP
c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
I attended again today.

Always a good event. Patrick you would have enjoyed the fair number of really nice original old cars, like a Chrysler Lancer.

Oversize would have liked the 220kw 560SEL with the rear roller blind and velour seats.

There were two Lancia Delta Integrales.

I took my Citroen DS.

Patrick_R

Grand Master
What a great turn out Bryce.
The Lancer is a gem.
A mate of mine has the very first Sigma, badged Chrysler as well.

Thank you for sharing your fantastic images.
Nice work.

PS
All of your pics from car shows, I still haven’t seen any XW Falcon/Fairmont wagons.
I mainly got be onto a winner 🤓

OP
c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
You will have to bring your car along one you get it registered.
What a great turn out Bryce.
The Lancer is a gem.
A mate of mine has the very first Sigma, badged Chrysler as well.

Thank you for sharing your fantastic images.
Nice work.

PS
All of your pics from car shows, I still haven’t seen any XW Falcon/Fairmont wagons.
I mainly got be onto a winner 🤓

Patrick_R

Grand Master
I will need to mate.
Just having some electrical and parts issues with the electric tail gate glass and the original Super Fringe radio.
But I’m hopeful.