This Xmas trim job

More threads by WGB

WGB

The last two Xmas' I have re-trimmed the front and then the rear seats courtesy of new Leather supplied by GAHH via Styria.

This Xmas I will be replacing the roof lining and recovering the front kick panels and knee rolls in new black backless carpet.

At present the carpets are in gray with black carpeted front kick panels and black vinyl covered knee rolls.

As the car has the AMG theme this combination seems to suit it's character quite well to me.

Rearseatfootrests.jpg

I already have some gray backless carpet but wasn't happy with either the non-original black vinyl covered knee rolls or covering them in gray so will replace with the black which should provide a good and balanced contrast with the gray carpets.

Roofliningandcarpet.jpg

Here are the supplies of new gray headlining and a metre of black backless carpet which arrived yesterday.

Bill

Lukas

Re the headlining - how are you intending to add the sleeve in the material that the flat metal bar goes though - just a simple fold in the fabric which is then sewn up?

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Looks great Brother Bill....

I like your dedication... :)

OP
WGB

WGB

Re the headlining - how are you intending to add the sleeve in the material that the flat metal bar goes though - just a simple fold in the fabric which is then sewn up?

In the photo it looks like a flat piece of material but in reality all the sewing including the sleeve is already done - ready to install.

Bill

Styria

The Godfather
You know, WGB (Bill, of course) that the knee rolls will be quite straight forward. With the quantity that I supplied you with, and what you need, you may actually have some left over. If you're interested in disposing of unwanted material, please let me know as I could use some for my 450Se I am refurbishing.

As far as the headlining is concerned, if memory serves me right, you just about have to gut the interior, including the possibility of having to remove the front or rear screen in order to remove the sunroof frame from the car - if that's what is required - I just can't presently recall if that is necessary. I did ask Lucas at one stage if he managed to remove the sunroof frame from the interior of the car without having to remove either front or rear screen, but I can't recall getting clarification from him. Anyway, good luck with the job - please let us know how you manage and cope wioth what could be a sizeable job. Regards Styria

OP
WGB

WGB

I think it is impossible to remove the sunroof frame without removing a screen if the seats and doors are in position but I don't expect to have to do that just to remove and replace the headlining.

The previous headlining I removed was simply a matter of removing all the front, rear and side moulded panels and exposing the outer edges where the material is clipped and then easing it off the inside of the frame.

I will check before ruining a passable headlining.

I will see how much carpet is used after the knee rolls are covered but will probably do the side kick panels as well

Bill

Lukas

The sunroof frame removal tutorial is here: TK - windshield removal is not required.

As Bill says, the frame can stay in the car for headlining removal.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
The removal of the subroof raises a further point. Is it possible that the Moderator could create a section called 'Tutorials' - or whatever else is appropriate - where such work as Lukas' could be stored for ready reference?
Regards,
Benz-Boy

OP
WGB

WGB

That is an excellent idea that has been suggested before but never actioned.

I hope it is actioned some time before some of us age/lose interest/grow up etc.:D

Bill

TJ 450

Hi guys,

Regarding the sunroof frame. It can be removed from the car through either of the rear doors. It's easier with the trims removed though. There's no need to remove either of the screens.

Tim

OP
WGB

WGB

I have made a start on the Xmas trim job and have a couple of questions for the experts (Hint Brent).

1) I have removed the sunroof panel trim and have found that my car appears to have had it's headlining replaced at some stage in the past.

Oldheadlining.jpg

The headling appears to be a dirty cream although not damaged it is out of keeping with the rest of the car.

oldandnewsunroofpanels-closeup.jpg

Here is a new piece of headlining lying adjacent to the old sunroof trim panel and there is a difference in colour as well as a difference in the size of the perforation pattern.

Oldsunroofpanelpeeledback.jpg

On examining the old sunroof trim panel it would appear that a new lining was glued around the edges to the old panel. The original panel is much more intricate in that although it is the same colour and pattern as the new replacement it's leading and trailing edges are forced into the metal moulding of the frame with only the sides glued.

The original panel also had rubbing strips heat welded to the original material at point of contact with the frame.

I am pondering this at the moment - but I think it will be easier just to glue the new panel on in the same way as the previous replacement.

2) I have removed the two front knee rolls and the kick panels as shown here with the intention of covering them both in black "backless" carpet.

Oldpanels.jpg

After stripping both the knee rolls of their vinyl and the kick panels of their original carpet there remains on all panels a residual that appears to be the powdery remains of the rubber backing of the backless carpet as well as a thick layer of glue beneath.

Oldpanelsstripped.jpg

I am going to remove this as best I can using paint stripper and/or paint thinners without dissolving the plastic before I attach the new backless carpet.

Any alternative suggestions on what to do with this glue and powder layer greatly appreciated.

Bill

OP
WGB

WGB

Spent an hour in the shed in the cool tonight and made a start on removing the headlining.

Removed the rear, front and side reveal mouldings.

Removalofheadliningfrontview.jpg

View towards the front from rear seat with mouldings removed.

Removalofheadliningrearview.jpg

View towards the rear from front showing the headlining is just a bit in the middle.

removalofheadlining-dropping.jpg

The headlining is removed starting from the rear and moving forwards. The cross bow and the clips it fits into are visible in this picture.

And that is old glue and not rust visible in the pictures.

Bill

Lukas

Speaking of rust, now that the headlining is removed it is a good time to check the sunroof frame drains for rust (on the "outside" of the frame, i.e. the bit that is visible from inside the car), and perished drain hoses.

The trim piece that is glued over the original is interesting - presumably the extra layer doesn't cause too much of a jam in the sunroof rails to stop it sliding.

Parks

I have made a start on the Xmas trim job and have a couple of questions for the experts (Hint Brent).

1) I have removed the sunroof panel trim and have found that my car appears to have had it's headlining replaced at some stage in the past.

Oldheadlining.jpg

The headling appears to be a dirty cream although not damaged it is out of keeping with the rest of the car.

oldandnewsunroofpanels-closeup.jpg

Here is a new piece of headlining lying adjacent to the old sunroof trim panel and there is a difference in colour as well as a difference in the size of the perforation pattern.

Oldsunroofpanelpeeledback.jpg

On examining the old sunroof trim panel it would appear that a new lining was glued around the edges to the old panel. The original panel is much more intricate in that although it is the same colour and pattern as the new replacement it's leading and trailing edges are forced into the metal moulding of the frame with only the sides glued.

The original panel also had rubbing strips heat welded to the original material at point of contact with the frame.

I am pondering this at the moment - but I think it will be easier just to glue the new panel on in the same way as the previous replacement.

2) I have removed the two front knee rolls and the kick panels as shown here with the intention of covering them both in black "backless" carpet.

Oldpanels.jpg

After stripping both the knee rolls of their vinyl and the kick panels of their original carpet there remains on all panels a residual that appears to be the powdery remains of the rubber backing of the backless carpet as well as a thick layer of glue beneath.

Oldpanelsstripped.jpg

I am going to remove this as best I can using paint stripper and/or paint thinners without dissolving the plastic before I attach the new backless carpet.

Any alternative suggestions on what to do with this glue and powder layer greatly appreciated.

Bill

Gday Bill, you are right the trim has been replaced before, I have that vinyl they used in my aftermarket samples..
As far as the glueing of the sunroof panel goes, you should always only glue the edges down from the back.
As far as getting the old glue etc off, just get some really rough sand paper and a block and remove it that way, cos the carpet is thick, it doesnt have to be super smooth...
As for the chalkiness, not sure what that is, just get as much off as possible, but I dont think stripper is needed at all Bill
regards Brent

OP
WGB

WGB

Speaking of rust, now that the headlining is removed it is a good time to check the sunroof frame drains for rust (on the "outside" of the frame, i.e. the bit that is visible from inside the car), and perished drain hoses.

The trim piece that is glued over the original is interesting - presumably the extra layer doesn't cause too much of a jam in the sunroof rails to stop it sliding.

I was planning to check the drains but the car is never driven in the rain and only gets wet when washed.

If the drains come off easily I will check them - especially the rears, but from past experience the rubber tubing can be frozen onto the frame tubes - "Primum non nocere"

Never had any problems with jamming up to now.

Gday Bill, you are right the trim has been replaced before, I have that vinyl they used in my aftermarket samples..
As far as the glueing of the sunroof panel goes, you should always only glue the edges down from the back.
As far as getting the old glue etc off, just get some really rough sand paper and a block and remove it that way, cos the carpet is thick, it doesnt have to be super smooth...
As for the chalkiness, not sure what that is, just get as much off as possible, but I dont think stripper is needed at all Bill
regards Brent

Too late already done - cleaned it off with polystrippa.

Funnily enough the original plastic has the exact same pebble pattern as has been found on modern benzes and is in my MLs and previous 211 E320.

I guess it took more than 20 years to get brave enough for M-B to use it in public.

Bill

Last edited:
OP
WGB

WGB

Anyway here are the fruits of this xmas trim job

Old headlining

Headliningold.jpg

This was dirty and a pale cream colour which was out of place to me in a car with black upholstery and gray carpets

New headlining

HeadliningNew.jpg

Much better match with the carpet and clean and shiny.

Here is the old knee roll that had been covered in vinyl in the past and with sloppy clips was also a poor fit with gaps between kick panel and the bottom of the dash.

Kickpanelold.jpg

Here is the new carpeted kick panel and knee rolls with no more gaps and new trim clips.

Kneerollnew.jpg

I could have used gray carpet but I prefer the contrast between the black and the gray.

And just to honour the Godfather's comments earlier - I have re-fitted my original AMG steering wheel (until I get sick of not seeing more than 80km/hr on the speedo).

AMGSteeringwheel1.jpg

Which only leaves me a reminder to re-spray the steering column shroud.

Bill

Lukas

I don't often see the steering wheel shroud (being hidden behind the steering wheel and all), but whenever I do I am surprised at how MB left such an "unfinished" piece inside the car - just painted black metal, welds and all.

Have you considered covering it in some way? Carpet wouldn't seem right, but a vinyl perhaps?

New trim looks flash, and the car's interior colour scheme is very nice.