Anodised trim

More threads by BenzBoy

260ebenz

Master
Another great Kent Bergsma video thanks for posting Brian.

Before and after of the trim on Kent's 300SDL and 300TD is amazing.

Trim on the 300SE is in top condition and I intend to keep it that way!

Oversize

Grand Master
Probably the most interesting thing about this is what didn't work..... Facinating that he found a vibrating power tool which made it a bit easier, but as usual he's selling one of his mystery products, or kits. Thanks for the link!

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
I can't figure what particular poor quality clear coat he was using. The clear coat I use is nothing special. I have never had any of the peeling or chipping problems mentioned in the video.

I clean the anodised trim normally, using a sponge when washing my car.
I then apply clear coat from a spray can directly onto a clean rag and CAREFULLY wipe that over the trim, and avoiding the paint, for obvious reasons.

I repeat the process every 18 months or so, to maintain the new sheen appearance.

For concours presentation, it would be best to remove the anodised trim, clean it and spray clear coat directly onto the trim, rather than applying clear coat indirectly in situ, using a clean rag.
Originally, the anodised trim on my car was VERY blochy and milky, equal to the worst I have ever seen, but the anodised trim on my car now has near new, perfectly acceptable sheen to it.

I think that Mercedes-Benz will actually sell you a clear coat type of product, so that you can maintain the anodised trim yourself.

Last edited:

260ebenz

Master
I can't figure what particular poor quality clear coat he was using. The clear coat I use is nothing special. I have never had any of the peeling or chipping problems mentioned in the video.

I clean the anodised trim normally, using a sponge when washing my car.
I then apply clear coat from a spray can directly onto a clean rag and CAREFULLY wipe that over the trim.

You have to be very careful that you DO NOT wipe any of the clear coat onto the adjacent paint for obvious reasons.

I repeat the process every 18 months or so, to maintain the new sheen appearance.

For concours presentation, it would be best to remove the anodised trim, clean it and spray clear coat directly onto the trim, rather than applying clear coat indirectly in situ, using a clean rag.

Originally, the anodised trim on my car was VERY blochy and milky equal to the worst I have ever seen, but the anodised trim on my car now has neer new, perfectly acceptable sheen to it.

I think that Mercedes-Benz will actually sell you a clear coat type of product, so that you can maintain the anodised trim yourself.

SEL_69L you kindly gave me this same advice at last years Concours when I was talking to you much appreciated.

hoddo

Connoisseur
His kit is $60 and contains a few items not really needed such as gloves, and tape, but he also sells the polish on its own for $14. Could be worth a try at that price.

Oversize

Grand Master
I know this topic has been covered before but I'm wondering if the milky finish is the aluminium oxidizing, or the anodizing deteriorating? It seems that what's needed is a product that's hard enough to polish the top surface, but soft enough to not cut through it into the base aluminium. Obviously a very fine line if the anodizing isn't very thick....

Did MB originally use a clear coat over the anodized surfaces?

Reading the owner's manual from 1978 and it says the 'garnish moulding' is Chromium-plated, Aluminium. Apparently there was 'MB Chrome Care' and 'MB Chrome Cleaner'. Followed by 'MB Chrome Protective Lacquer' and MB Chrome Protective Wax'. I wonder if these products are still available?

Personally I'd like to try trim removal followed by soda blasting, polishing and a professional clear coat. Then again, it might be cheaper just to buy new trim!

CraigS

It is the anodising that causes the problem. The only correct way to resolve it is to remove the anodising with caustic soda, polish and have anodised again.