The Rover P5/P5B

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Pictures of the exterior appear to illustrate that the bodywork is in nice condition. Where the gremlins start is with the interior which is showing many signs of unwanted wear and degradation. If you wanted it perfect as far as leather, upholstery, carpets and timber is concerned, add at least another $18K. to the price.

Incidentally, one of the pics. shows details of the various key numbers - it is my understanding that even in England the people that matter are running out of blanks - on my part, I cleaned out two Locksmith Companies of blanks they had on hand. Regards Styria

BTW, I see that I have just reached the 9000 mark. Still a long way to go to catch Michel which, of course, I never will. No problem, as long as my contributions are meaningful and informative.

gurrier

Connoisseur
Hello,

There is a Canadian Guy on YouTube under the title Coldwarmotors (unfortunately a very apt name in the present International situation) who is doing - among other things - a nut and bolt restoration on a 1963 P5. Worth watchIing imo.

Regards,

Bill

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Well, well - some interesting snippets. By the looks of things, the guys are quite taken by this Rover. I suspect that the guys are not terribly familiar with some of the finer points of the car being illustrated. Firstly, that cruise control module is in fact the wiper motor. Rovers didn't have cruise control at any time. I am a little curious about the model - first of all, it is a Saloon and not a Coupe (might have to have another look), and they were curiously surprised by the starting handle. In my opinion, and Lizzie II would agree, the starting handle is just about essential to enable adjustment of the valve clearances. The settings are critical - some mechanics, either home or professional, tend to adjust the settings too close in an effort to quieten an engine. Overhead Inlet Valves set at 6", and Exhaust Clearances at 10' HOT - at least a very warm engine. If the exhaust clearances are too tight, valves will burn out very quickly. To be perfectly frank, if an engine is a bit "tappetty", it indicates wear in rocker shafts and rockers which have Bronze bushes and Roller Cam Followers. Quite an engineering feat - the cost of manufacture nowadays would be prohibitive.

I suspect that the car in question is a 1961 Mark 1 model, as adjudged by the chromed "Rover" lettering on the front guards - in my opinion, an afterthought and quite ugly. Well, that's my opinion and others may disagree. I am just a little confused by the Mark 2 (onwards) Inlet Manifold. Mark 1 and 1A had an integrally cast Inlet Manifold as part of a one piece head, as distinct from the arrangement being shown of the Weslake designed head and Inlet Manifold. BTW, just an experience which is honest and no bull - see the forward facing twin Intake Air Pipes ? Well, picking up a spare engine from the Maitland Area and carting it back to Sydney on my trailer, some accompanying traffic furiously blew their horns and do you know why? The were flames emanating from the Air Filter, how and why, at a hundred kilometers an hour you may well ask ? Simple. Flicking out a Cigarette butt, it flew into one of the Inlet Pipes and promptly set the Air Filter alight. A one in a million chance and, whatsmore, it is a true story. More about the car next post. Regards Styria

c107

and 111/116/124/126
I suspect that the car in question is a 1961 Mark 1 model, as adjudged by the chromed "Rover" lettering on the front guards - in my opinion, an afterthought and quite ugly. Well, that's my opinion and others may disagree. I am just a little confused by the Mark 2 (onwards) Inlet Manifold. Mark 1 and 1A had an integrally cast Inlet Manifold as part of a one piece head, as distinct from the arrangement being shown of the Weslake designed head and Inlet Manifold. a
according to the James taylor book, all P5s destined for north america had that badge. So I suspect that car was originally sold in the USA or Canada, and has remained there this whole time. P5's were not sold there long - they soon switched to the P6 which they felt was a better fit for that market, and never sold the P5B there at all.

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Okay, some more thoughts. As best as I can tell, it is a 1960-1961 Mark1(1A) as evident by the chrome surrounds of the two main Instrument Dials, plus the early one piece Head/Inlet manifold (as best as I can tell) and also the Rover 3 Litre lettering on the upper part of the Radiator Grille. The Interior would require substantial refurbishing (Bank Manager here I come), and a further model "Giveaway" are the adjustable front armrests on the door panels. A car like this, I don't think I would ever touch. Good luck to the fellows. Regards Styria

sean sherry

Master
Rovers ? why not Toyota ...... Article in the New Scientist..... Reader repaired his Flat TV for a few Cents after been quoted 3 Hundred Pounds for a new Circuit Board... Replaced a couple of failed underrated Capacitors ...Manufacturer's way of insuring a short life. I repaired many imported Soarer Dash Boards with the same issues. New Board cost was $1800.. Though they all had well over 100,000Ks It seems that the Cost Accountant is in charge in todays manufacturing. Out of Warranty ???............ On a Wing and a Prayer !!.......

Attachments

• Mother and Sean 1936.jpg
    Mother and Sean 1936.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 4

c107

and 111/116/124/126