The most terrible car you ever owned?

More threads by Des

Des

What is the most terrible car you have ever owned?

The car that you would love to take to with a box of matches and a tin of petrol?

The worst thing I ever owned was a Mitsubishi Mirage, 1997 model, I bought it around 2001.

Honestly!

What a horrible, uncomfortable, cramped, plastic ridden, POS that was.

1 owner, 29k's on the clock when I got it, the seats broke 3 times, the locking mechanism for getting into the back, the clips broke on the parcel shelf. The steering was so heavy to drive, only way to avoid this was 40PSI all round in the tires. It was just rubbish,
I would rather walk than drive that.

I have never, and never would own another Japanese car since,

So come now,

What is the most terrible car you have ever owned?

B13

My green 350SE. Don't get me started on it. I made a bad choice and it was a lemon. Surprising then that it didn't put me off the whole W116 / MB thing, but I licked my wounds and got over it and the next car, a red 450SE, was much better sorted, though also hardly perfect, it wasn't rediculously unreliable or worn out.

I.

Styria

The Godfather
I can chime in on this particular topic whilst others might be thinking about it. In my instance, it was undoubtedly a 1956 ROVER 90, that I bought at auction and it was my very first car I ever bought and owned.

I would imagine that lack of mechanical knowledge - I had none at all - contributed in no uncertain fashion to the various problems I experienced during , say, three to four years of ownership. They were prone to burning out the side exhaust valves, unless the tappets were properly adjusted. As well, I had a girlfriend at the time which involved a 180 mile round trip each weekend and I guess the old girl (the car) just couldn't cope.

Being stationed in the country as I was, with gravel or single bitumen roads being the norm, it was only a matter of time before I broke the front screen. It was the only car I know that had to have the screen installed from the inside. I was very glad to trade that car on a ROVER 3 litre 1964. A much better car. Regards Styria

B13

Come now Dear Ian.......details

Engine: required rings / valve guides etc - had no power
Auto: flared on the upchange from 1-2, and it would overheat and lose all forward drive until it cooled down
Wheels: were steel with fake bundt hubcaps
rust in the door bottoms
most front suspension parts worn out
was originally a non a/c model and had aftermarket a/c added

Look it was just a bad buy by a young guy who knew nothing about them, all my experience had been with mazdas and I had to re-learn a lot of stuff. It was a long time ago (1992) and the car was far worse than many of the cars selling for less than $500 on ebay these days. Put me off D-jet for a very long time.

I.

OzBenzHead

Master
I've had some rippers, some snorters, some nice ones, and some utter bombs amongst my 60+ cars, but without a doubt the Lemon Of All Time (certainly my biggest disappointment) was a brand-new HG Monaro GTS. I was 21.

Its predecessor in my stable was a one-year-old Mazda R100 (boy-racer red, of course!) -- a car of impressive finish quality and great attention to detail. Unfortunately, I rotated that rotary at 94 mph and it was history.

The Monaro was alI I could afford after writing off the uninsured Mazda.

In the Monaro's first 1000 miles (at which point it went in for its mandatory first service) the following things went pear-shaped, and I arrived for first service with a list of 48 items to fix. Amongst those were:

* misbehaving Traumatic box (kept losing second gear, which left too few options in a three-speed box)

* front alignment made the car almost unsteerable

* the driver's door dropped about 3/4 of an inch and had to be hefted upwards to close successfully

* the driver's seat came loose from the floor

* the paint started to fade; it was "burnished bronze", and I had requested no "go-faster" stripes; after about three weeks (parked outdoors at work) one could see where the black go-faster stripes had been oversprayed with the b/bronze, and a sloppy job it was, too.

* less safety-related, but annoying nonetheless, were the myriad loose thread-ends flopping about all through the upholstery; really untidy work.

It returned from that first service with two things "fixed": the driver's seat mountings and the loose threads (some of them) on the seats: someone appeared to have taken a cigarette lighter to them!

After another three services and a couple of visits to attempt to get things fixed under warranty, the list still had 46 items to be fixed; the alignment never was, so the car was a dog to drive.

At the 8000 mile service, I took the car to town very early (about 6 a.m.), parked it across the dealer's showroom driveway (the major, inner-city Holden dealer for a large industrial city that is not the "S" or the "W" of "NSW" (as in Newcastle / Sydney / Wollongong), wrote "lemon" all over it in toothpaste, and dropped the keys down the nearest drain grate.

GMAC (finance) pursued me for about three years before they gave up; I had refused to finish paying for the PoS, and still owed a couple of grand (the car cost $3700, when a new Kingswood was $2500).

I then bought my first Rover -- a 1960 P5 Mk Ia -- which was dowdy, but a far better car than that Monaro. And then I got my first Rover P4 -- a 1956 90. Unlike Styria's 90, this was a beauty. Quite ordinary looking ("the patina of age and honest work"), that old aunty could life her skirts and run -- once she had built up speed; getting to cruising speed wasn't the most rapid experience, but the car would sit on 90 (mph -- its official top speed -- and its horsepower) all day on a Melbourne-Sydney trip without a rattle, squeak, or complaint (though in those days of rather ordinary cross-ply tyres and cheap retreads, punctures were a common feature of my Rovering).

That car did 520,000 miles before the head came off (gasket), and never let me down in any department other those governed by Lucas the Prince of Darkness. I spent very little on maintenance and just drove the old dear.

PS: I've checked this post for typos, so please excuse any I've missed; I'm having vision problems at the moment and even set large, the text on my screen is really out of focus. Perhaps I need someone to hit me on the head. LOL

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
Probably the most terrible car ever produced would be the Trabant. Has anyone on this site driven one? Incidentally, the first Mercedes that I drove was in the Netherlands. The car at the time was an almost new 230SL.