M116 won't start

More threads by mathew

260ebenz

Master
Hello Mat what's the latest with your 420SEL is 'The Governor', going again?

Cheers mate.

Tony66_au

Great hint Kunbarrie!

Those Sneak a peek scopes are getting cheaper all the time mate, Aldi had the buggers for a tad under $100 and I missed out.

Im wondering about your Nickname though.......

My guess (Tell me if im wrong) is that it has something to do with distance?

Maybe Near-Kunbarrie or Far-Kunbarrie? (A Geographic thing ofcourse) lol

OP
mathew

mathew

:):D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D;)

Well gang I am one very happy camper this afternoon! So upon receiving my second hand airflow/fuel housing it looked very dusty and old but well wrapped up. So I cleaned the entire assembly both inside and out with carby cleaner, wow there was some crud in there. Then I removed the unions on the divider and gently flushed it out with fuel and carby cleaner. The I blew extremely low pressure air through it to dry it all out.

I fitted it to the car after having flushed all the fuel injectors out with high pressure metho spirits (don't ask how:eek:). Once it was all fitted I turned the key expecting it to take a while to start but no she fired to life instantly with one cylinder missing. As it warmed up that problem faded to almost unnoticeable. I turned him off found three leaks which I have fixed and one injector needs a new seal which I have just ordered. It's been running for 20 minutes and all looks good thank God I was on the verge of complete despair!

I was so happy I sat there with the engine running, the heater on and listening to music thinking how much I love this old car and I wasn't even going anywhere in it lol.

Thanks for all your help guys. My old system will be heading to Melbourne for a rebuild so I have a spare.

Cheers Mat

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Great to Hear Mathew best of luck with your cars :D

Oversize

Grand Master
Yay!! Great to have some good news! Happy to help. Now get outta the garage and fly the flag.... :)

OP
mathew

mathew

Well guys I decided I would have crack at rebuilding the fuel distributor myself, yes I know what your thinking:p:p:p:p Anyway turns out I had two faults a failed potentiometer in the throttle butterfly, it was worn and at certain points giving false readings to the ecu. Hence it was flooding at random.

The other problem was that the distributor itself had a sticky centre piston which coupled with the above fault pretty much made the fuel system inoperable. The chance of both failing at once is almost impossible alas of course it happened to me lol.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

So I searched the web and come across this site:

http://www.porsche928forums.com/download/manuals/CISRebuild.pdf

I followed it to the letter except for the EHA valve set up, as the 928's didn't have that, but the distributor operation is all but the same. Word of WARNING unless you have fine hand skills a whole lot of patience and the attention to detail to really criticise your own work and be prepared to pull it apart several times over to make it perfect, then DO NOT attempt this job. I brought two second hand ones off ebay and from three I built one that works perfect. The tolerances are almost laser like:( I kid you not, but get it right and you will be wrapped!

The Gov is now pulling like never before:D:D:D:D and I feel I have really achieved something as a result of my persistence to solve a problem no none in Wagga could:):). So I've sent one of my spare damaged ones off to Melbourne to be rebuilt and kept as a spare as I'm never parting with the 420SEL. Thanks to all for their help and thanks must go to the MB Classic centre in USA for pointing me in the right direction. Word of warning anyone looking to store one needs to spray WD40 into it and then seal it up in a vacuum tight bag otherwise everything will seize in it and dry out and leak.

Cheers Mat

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Thank you Mathew for keeping us upto date you have every right to feel proud of your hard work.:)

260ebenz

Master
Well guys I decided I would have crack at rebuilding the fuel distributor myself, yes I know what your thinking:p:p:p:p Anyway turns out I had two faults a failed potentiometer in the throttle butterfly, it was worn and at certain points giving false readings to the ecu. Hence it was flooding at random.

The other problem was that the distributor itself had a sticky centre piston which coupled with the above fault pretty much made the fuel system inoperable. The chance of both failing at once is almost impossible alas of course it happened to me lol.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

So I searched the web and come across this site:

http://www.porsche928forums.com/download/manuals/CISRebuild.pdf

I followed it to the letter except for the EHA valve set up, as the 928's didn't have that, but the distributor operation is all but the same. Word of WARNING unless you have fine hand skills a whole lot of patience and the attention to detail to really criticise your own work and be prepared to pull it apart several times over to make it perfect, then DO NOT attempt this job. I brought two second hand ones off ebay and from three I built one that works perfect. The tolerances are almost laser like:( I kid you not, but get it right and you will be wrapped!

The Gov is now pulling like never before:D:D:D:D and I feel I have really achieved something as a result of my persistence to solve a problem no none in Wagga could:):). So I've sent one of my spare damaged ones off to Melbourne to be rebuilt and kept as a spare as I'm never parting with the 420SEL. Thanks to all for their help and thanks must go to the MB Classic centre in USA for pointing me in the right direction. Word of warning anyone looking to store one needs to spray WD40 into it and then seal it up in a vacuum tight bag otherwise everything will seize in it and dry out and leak.

Cheers Mat

Good outcome Mat that's what we like to hear and Gov back to his best as he should be!

Cheers mate.

OP
mathew

mathew

His running sweet Tim, I took him South of Wagga yesterday and stretched his legs right out:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:eek:
Cheers Mat

OP
mathew

mathew

Thought I'd take some pics on the test run this arvo, the old boy still sports a good look.

DSC_0008-Copy.jpg

DSC_0011-Copy-Copy-Copy.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0019-Copy-Copy.jpg

DSC_0022-Copy.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

DSC_0036.jpg

DSC_0026-Copy.jpg

Last edited:

260ebenz

Master
His running sweet Tim, I took him South of Wagga yesterday and stretched his legs right out:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:eek:
Cheers Mat

Blowing out the carbon woops I mean cobwebs out of the Gov were you Mat? LOL. :D

Joke Mat!

Gov looks beaut Mat!

Bright headlight globes fitted to the Gov what wattage are they could I fit a set of those globes to the 260E perhaps?

I see you have the wheels off Boyd's old 280SE W126 fitted to the Gov they look good.

Cheers mate,
Tim.

OP
mathew

mathew

Mate they are standard wattage don't go any higher! The H4 globes are Osram 80% bright white but standard wattage of 55W. The park lights are actually LED globes which are a far lower wattage so safe to fit and they look pretty good.

Cheers Mat

260ebenz

Master
Mate they are standard wattage don't go any higher! The H4 globes are Osram 80% bright white but standard wattage of 55W. The park lights are actually LED globes which are a far lower wattage so safe to fit and they look pretty good.

Cheers Mat

Thank you for the info Mat.

Cost of the Osram 80% bright white globes?

80% bright Osram globes won't cause a fuse to blow no strain and won't upset the alternator or battery?

260E lights are bright but could be brighter.

Speak to my Auto Electrician this week about the Osram 80% globes.

Oversize

Grand Master
Matt, how did you go getting the spare rebuilt??