Don't start investigating if you don't want to find problems

More threads by s class

s class

In another thread about 2 weeks ago, I enquired about MIG welding sheet steel - I commented that my W140 had a group of rust bubbles below the right tail light. This is unusual - W140's are almost impervious to rust. Initial investigations showed no signs of accident damage. I was wanting to fix this visible rust because its deterring prospective buyers of the car.

Today I removed the tail light and reflective strip that runs horizontally across the full width of the car. This strip is about 50mm wide, and separated from the paint work by a hard foam backing about 1mm thick. This was saturated with water. (the car was last subjected to a car wash or rain a month ago). The paintwork behind there showed lots of bubbles. I tentatively started prodding with a screw driver, and found that the whole area is bog - about 50% of the width of the car - in a band about 60mm high above the bumper - and all this bog was saturated with water (bog 1 to 4mm thick). I easily scooped it off with a screwdriver to find horribly corroded metal and a crappy accident repair with tears in the metal braized together.

By know I was wanting to cry - this was supposed to be a 1-afternoon quick fix to help with the sale of the car - and now I have a whole lot of exposed rusted metal. I set about it with a 3M-stripping disc in the drill. To my relief, most of it has come up pretty shiny, with only some limited areas having deeper corrosion. I think its on the border-line between cut-and-weld versus treat the rust and put new bog on. Given that I'm aiming to sell the car, I'm afraid its going to be the latter.

Not a good afternoon of spannering.

116Benz

Oh I feel your pain Ryan, I really do. I suppose now that you've come this far, you may as well get it fixed. At least then your conscience will be clear with the repairs. Good luck with it, are there buyers for the S500 around?

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
A bit of rust stopper and then decent fibreglass epoxy (instead of all bog) would keep that panel in great shape for a very long time...

Don't despair Ryan...
Life has a way of throwing challenges at us all the time..:rolleyes:

OP
s class

s class

Michel, do I understand you correctly that I should apply a layer of resin first, then perhaps some bog if necessary to get the shape right?

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Michel, do I understand you correctly that I should apply a layer of resin first, then perhaps some bog if necessary to get the shape right?

That is correct, but after you put some rust stopper...

The resin will work better than simple bog and would last much longer.
The putty would be for shaping....