from another realm..

More threads by iCat

OP
I

iCat

thanks for posting the pics mark :) yeah, quads on the falc, sounds awesome :)

Oversize

Grand Master
I'll attest to that!!! :D

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I must also give my approval for the colour.

Nice choice :D

OP
I

iCat

the falc has the original factory paintwork, no repsprays there. i do the detailing myself. i looooooove the color red - they go faster, true ;)

Tony66_au

Nice collection!

I have a mate who has a thing for XF V8's and I used to help him out with it a bit.

First one he did was an XD 351 we turned into an XF with the help of a wreck and you couldnt tell it was an XD.

The next 2 were actually XF's, easy enough to do with the heater box being the only pain.

They were made for small block grunt those things.

I actually gave away one of the last XF Fairmont Ghia's about 3 weeks ago, shame coz she was nice except for the blown head gasket and bung heater controls.

Tony66_au

That Ford looks like a Poverty pack Tony! LOL.
:D;)

Just joking Tony!

Ford's not my cup of tea as you may be able to tell.

Bastard............... :D

The Interceptors were Cop cars and the late 79's early 80's were No A/C, No Steer and Vinyl seats plus usually a few delete options like Radio etc.

Pov pack, No.

Ethiopia pack? Yes.

The Ohhh Ahhhhh factor came from (Believe it or not) the 4 wheel disc brakes lol and Detroit locker.

Then they jacked up (Scuse the Pun) and demanded A/C in their cars.

They were/Are Crude rude and very unsophisticated cars sorta like Mike Tyson in a Tux, and they packed the same kind of Punch too.

But at the time I was hanging around Reservoir/Thomastown enjoying the US Muscle madness so youve got to forgive the testosterone feeding frenzy lol

From there I went back to Mother Chrysler (Envision a well worn MILF with norty tatt's on her arms from Industrial Adelaide) and built a late 60's (VF) Ute up by adding a 440 Cubic inch truck motor and 3 speed auto and then laying a 6 inch concrete slab in the back to give me traction stopped by 4 wheel unboosted drum brakes lol

I wonder if they still hold Drags at Industrial ave or Cherry lane........

A few brown undies nostalgia moments there.

Oh and for what its worth?

The XD was slaughtered by a big brown 6.3 300SEL some boys borrowed from their Dad and did a few mods to exhaust and tyre wise.

So it stood to reason id eventually graduate to the 3 point star lol

Tony66_au

thanks for posting the pics mark :) yeah, quads on the falc, sounds awesome :)

Not Quads iCat, Twice pipes!

Sounds better if you say it with a Cheech Marin accent.

Foochie Kapestaaaaaaa, Nice TwicePipes man!

She looks pretty good, make a nice sleeper too.

Upset the rice boys much? :cool:

Oversize

Grand Master
OMG you GAVE a XF Fairmont Ghia away!!!! I'm sure iCat will wanna scratch you baaad for that!!! :p

Tony66_au

Mark, Im about to send an EB II Fairmont Ghia to the scrappies too.

That way I get my $500 without the hassle of having to advertise it.

Anyway how do you know I wont ENJOY a Scratch eh?

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Oh behave you to:D intersting car Mark i sold an xd esp to buy my 6.9 in 2000 it was at the summernats if you can get hold of brute horsepower 2000 video i am the ugly guy near the start of the video in the white xd :eek:

Styria

The Godfather
Well, a bit of a different flavour to topklasse on a Sunday afternoon - that red Ford Resto looked terrific - the amount of work, and dare I say money, would have been humongous. Every once in a while, you get some hotted-up Ford cruising around the area where I live, and the sound of the exhaust can be quite toxic - ahem, I mean stonking. Regards Styria

N.B. I will have a bit of a surprise for you SOON !...it's to do with the All British Day that was held today.

OP
I

iCat

lol, my sedan has had no respray, it's all original 1986 duco that i look after myself. and she still has new car smell inside :) engine transplant was fiddly to keep within the law but managed it and it came from a well maintained xd donor. i haven't done anything with her except service and tune regularly. she gets a fair bit of attention on a sunny sunday.

thankyou for your kind comments :)

Tony66_au

By fiddly you mean moving the heater box so the hoses dont hit the head?

I remember doing this and retro fitting an XD HVAC unit to an XF, fun it wasnt.

Anyway, XD's and XE's are getting light on the ground these days and I still maintain they were the toughest looking Falcons since the XY and if I was ever looking for another balls out grunt mobile it'd be an XD or XE.

OP
I

iCat

By fiddly you mean moving the heater box so the hoses dont hit the head?

no, the mechanicals were fine, yes, firewall was a prob, nothing that a hammer didnt fix, and yes heater box and hoses needed to be moved and modified. the problem was keeping a 1986 ford within the law with old technology. easy to do 1985 back, the adr's were more lenient. proving mine complied with the adr's of the time took some major arguing with authorities and a lot of creative thinking. :)

Tony66_au

no, the mechanicals were fine, yes, firewall was a prob, nothing that a hammer didnt fix, and yes heater box and hoses needed to be moved and modified. the problem was keeping a 1986 ford within the law with old technology. easy to do 1985 back, the adr's were more lenient. proving mine complied with the adr's of the time took some major arguing with authorities and a lot of creative thinking. :)

Wow you went all out!

Im curious to see/hear about the ADR side though, I know it was a minefield when we were doing VolV8 conversions, Pollution was fine because we added dedicated LPG or fitted compliant EFI Crate engines.

Although with the XF you could always raid the XG onward parts bin but not with the engine.

I also had hassles with VicRoads and interpretation of rules but eventually sorted that out with the help of our local engineer.

Or we marked the invoices "For off road use only"l

Oversize

Grand Master
Showing my ignorance here, but did the XG ute ever have a Windsor V8? I'd have thought a Windsor (from an EB-AU) would be far easier to fit into an XF than a Clevo?? And not have as many issues with compliance.... And no iCat, you can't have my V8 for your yewt!! :p

Tony66_au

No they didnt, the V8 didnt return to the commercial lineup until the XH (EF front).

The XG got the 4.0 though and a different bonnet to cope with the taller 6, they also allow an 8 to comfortably sit under the bonnet and we did a 5.0 Mustang (Windsor) engine conversion to an XF ute using the XG Bonnet and XH Rack and pinion conversion which went surprisingly well with a US sourced Thrush exhaust and cat system coupled to the Mustangs 4 speed auto.

We did look at a 351 Windsor and test fitted a block with some jiggling around to fit a decent cooling system and sort a few potential airlock issues and it could be done and engineered but the guy wanted Injection, had the stang motor from a failed Cobra build so we went with that.

The XG was an XF with a 4.0 basically.

We also fitted a US sourced Electric water pump, custom alloy radiator, air con and had the diff guts converted to LSD which was probably one of the highest price outsource parts (Compliments of TransDiff) and try as we might it was one of very few Ford's we ever did unless you count the Ford Maveric.

Last edited:
OP
I

iCat

yes, windsors are way easier to fit than a clevo, in all aspects legal and mechanical. but it's not and never will be anything like the mighty clevo. which is why my xr8 windsor is still sitting on the floor of my mechanics! the windsor is an 8, and a very good one at that. the clevo is just plain and simply legendary in the ford line up ;)

i too looked at the 351w just to be different. but the fuss and bother that went with it wasnt worth the hassle. and sourcing a decent one proved a problem.

the adr's were a huge problem for me, and thinking back it probably took me a good 8 months to sort them out.

that would be what the essence of being a petrol head is all about - working with what you have and not letting the 'experts' tell you what can and can't be done. anything is possible :)

Tony66_au

I think the online forums can have some great and knowledgeable people in them who have often dont what you are doing before and can help with the pitfalls.

And i agree re the 90 degree V, its bulletproof.