Clear coat restoration

More threads by mathew

Tony66_au

Mark im not a huge fan of buffers mate, I have a nice Hitachi Buffer and to be honest I use it far more as a sander.

I think that proper car detailing is an art best learnt by oneself and then practised on ones own cars with products you are used to.

The product companies like Meguires and autoglym often have tutorials on their websites that will help you on your path Grasshopper..........

Failing that theres usually something available in Auto stores but your mileage may vary so its best to absorb it all and go with what feels best for your paint type and condition.

And as always Grasshopper, Use your hands.

OP
mathew

mathew

Mothers make an orbital buffer called wax attack, it's safe to use an any hands. Now you can have the vest wax in the world but if your clear coat has oxidised then your wasting your time. Hence I paid for mine to be done properly and have just waxed it every three months since and it still looks like the day I picked it up. Waxing is safe at home paint correction is something one shouldn't really attempt themselves.

Cheers Mat

Styria

The Godfather
Polishing's always been a bit on a mystery to me. I tried it many years ago and after hours of elbow grease my XE was shinier, but some marks remained. Newer products are available now, but even with an electric polisher, but I'm still wary of cutting through the clear, creating swirl marks, damaging surround trims and generally making a mess and a real hash of it.

I had someone who could've shown me how and she posted here for a while, but sadly she moved on.... :(:confused:

Does anyone have someone they can recommend in Victoria??

Mark, I hate to be cruel, don't want to be corny, but she may come back one day - no ? She'd have to be worth it with her polishing skills. Regards Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Tony, Grasshopper ? Is that Mark's nickname ? Any reason why he is called that ? Does he hop over grass ? You guys have obviously known each other for a while. Did you grow up together on another forum ? Just having a bit of fun. Regards Styria

Oversize

Grand Master
Styria the romantic in me hopes you're right; I really do... If there was a tears icon I'd probably use it right now. Truth be known I let her go and I didn't know what I had until it was too late. I was obviously deranged and now devastated (even 6 months later); I wish there was an end to the hurt. :confused::(

Last edited:

Tony66_au

Tony, Grasshopper ? Is that Mark's nickname ? Any reason why he is called that ? Does he hop over grass ? You guys have obviously known each other for a while. Did you grow up together on another forum ? Just having a bit of fun. Regards Styria

Its a pop culture reference to an old American TV show called Kung Fu starring David Carradine.

Grasshopper is what the young shaolin monk was referred to as a boy while being taught by the venerable older Monk and its something you really had to know of to understand.

Or..... its me being my usual cheeky self.

BTW Mark? You never ever know mate, Bended knee, flowers and abject grovelling helps.

I once lost a really good sort and years later ended up marrying her.

True dinks!

Oversize

Grand Master
No Styria, Tony and I didn't grow up together but I did know exactly what he was talking about! It does appear we're on a very similar wavelength....

No amount of grovelling or stalking (!) will work while she's with someone else. As always it was (and still is) very complicated. But I am working towards making my life simpler and I should be far happier as a result. I guess I'll just have to wait and see...

260ebenz

Master
Come on Mat we all know you only use Morning Fresh to wash the 420SEL no wonder the Gov is so damn 'shiny', lol. :D

Just joking mate Governor looks in tip top condition!

Cheers Tim.

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
If you get bird droppings on your car, remove them immediately. The most convenient way of doing this is to leave a 3 litre bottle of water near where you normally park your car. Pour some of the water over the dropping to wet it, and see how much of it will just flush off.
Most often, some of it will remain, and that will have to be physically removed. I use a soft saturated cloth, kept aside for just a job, and rub the remainder off. Flush the remaining stains off with more water from the bottle.

I get very annoyed when I have to do this, because you HAVE to wash your hands. Bird droppings can carry dangerous pathogens. Psiticosis from parrot droppings is one of the most notorious. Salmonella is another, which can be activated by water.

Nevertheless, you will save yourself some expensive detailing and paint restoration bills and that is worth the personal cost of getting annoyed.

Bird droppings left on the paint have the potential to permanently damage it.
The damage can be visually removed, but this is at the expense of thinning the top coat at the site by the detailer. Far better to remove the offending droppings in the first place.

OP
mathew

mathew

Autoglym make bird poo removal wipes they are cheap and work exceptionally well all my cars have a pack in boot.

Cheers Mat

260ebenz

Master
Hi Mat,

AutoGlym make good car care products and I am not just saying that I have used two of AG's products before AG SRP and AG auto glass polish both excellent.

Question is Mat is the AG bird poo remover available from auto parts suppliers like Repco, Supercheap etc?

I have looked before and never seen the AG bird poo remover for sale.

How much does the AG bird poo product cost?

Cheers Tim.