Clear coat restoration

More threads by mathew

mathew

Well guys since moving to Wagga Wagga I have been flat out, it's a Mercedes lovers paradise down here they are everywhere from the old classic W126's through to an E63, I'm in star heaven I tell you. Having spotted a black C63 at xmas it looked so good I felt compelled to ask the owner what he polishes it with. The answer was not sure mate Custom Car Care Wagga detail it, well I decided as good as I am at waxing I can't get that look so off I went. I got the 420SEL done then the S280 a paint restoration on the clear coat followed up with DODO Juice wax and the results are stunning!

Feb2010026.jpg

Feb2010029.jpg

Feb2010030.jpg

Feb2010024.jpg

Feb2010020.jpg

S280detail005.jpg

S280detail006.jpg

S280detail008.jpg

S280detail010.jpg

S280detail009.jpg

S280detail003.jpg

For more images go to:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=331174&id=23421922064&fbid=10150165309622065

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...set=a.423230707064.198462.23421922064&theater

Cheers Mat.

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
Looks like the old Ming paint sealing system. Remenber Ming? Ming used to make claims that it lasted for years. Those claims were probably extravagant, as are most claims for current paint sealing systems in terms of longetivity.

With the Ming system, the paint was cleaned and spray painter's clay blocked. A hard wax is then buffed into the paint surface with a sheepskin buff to seal it.

This system is not used commercially now, because of the amount labour required. For home use, canuba wax is preferred, because it is much faster to buff in, or can be diluted with a liquid polish and rubbed in by hand.

I can't say what system is used here, because the final result immediately after the job has been completed is equally good with either of the two paint sealing systems.

Any paint sealing system has a big ask to protect paint over the longer term. The paint seal is very thin afterall, and with an un garaged car that may be left in the sun, ultra violet attack and heat can be remorseless.

260ebenz

Master
G'day Keano,

Good to hear from you mate and good hear all is well at Wagga.

Both Governor and Princess looking immaculate!

All the best Mat and look forward to catching up with you sometime this year at a Club event.

Cheers mate,
Tim.

OP
mathew

mathew

No paint sealer for this MB lover I would never curse my beloved auto's with that wretched stuff lol lol:D:D:D:D

No boys the clear coats were restored with Manerza polish (German) this can take up to 10 hours to get exactly right, they removed three crows feet I had and there is absolutely no trace of them. Then all the rubbers were taped up along with any plastic fittings and the DODO Juice Purple Haze Canuba wax was applied to the black car and the Silver one had DODO Juice Super Natural white and the results are smashing!!! Cleanest two Mercedes in the Riverina.

Cheers Mat

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Mat, I want to throw a query at you regarding the availability of the German Polish, but more so the ten hours it takes to carry out the job. Your cars are looking great, but then again they always have, haven't they !
Regarding the time factor, one would have to enquire as to the cost involved.

I had Gleaming Beauty resprayed by Michel almost six months ago, and I haven't touched the paint - well, I haven't wanted to, except one polish with Carnuba wax. Naturally, I am keen on preserving the quality of the job, such as it is, and I am wondering if you have any specific suggestions. You don't believe in paint sealer ? Just not sure if I understand properly. Nice to know you have settled in well - like what I see of the house and surroundings, plus the nice, large double garage.

As a matter of interest, your pal D.Gobert is battling on well with the new 'hobby horse" he has taken on, but I don't envy him for the task he has been saddled with, and the obstacles that some want to place in his path. Stay in touch with him as he needs all the support he gets. Regards Styria

BenzBoy

Grand Master
No paint sealer for this MB lover I would never curse my beloved auto's with that wretched stuff lol lol:D:D:D:D

No boys the clear coats were restored with Manerza polish (German) this can take up to 10 hours to get exactly right, they removed three crows feet I had and there is absolutely no trace of them. Then all the rubbers were taped up along with any plastic fittings and the DODO Juice Purple Haze Canuba wax was applied to the black car and the Silver one had DODO Juice Super Natural white and the results are smashing!!! Cleanest two Mercedes in the Riverina.

Cheers Mat
Hmmmm - I'll have to pit my Crystal Rock against your Dodo Juice at 40 paces and see who can outshine...:D:D:D
Regards,
Brian

260ebenz

Master

Cheers Mat

More gloating how unlike a Battleship owner! LOL.
:D

Two beaut looking Mercedes Mat look after them!

Cheers Slim.
cleanest W124 in Port Stephens!

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
Strictly speaking, anything that prevents the paint surface from oxidising, and thus loosing shine, is a paint sealant. Almost all modern paint sealants are wax based. Canuba wax is a good exapmle of that.

The job of a wax or any other paint sealant is to stop the oxygen in the air from getting at the paint surface.

The best protection for any car is to garage it. A dust cover over the car in the garage helps, because over time in the garage, if there is no dust cover, some of the dust that may settle on it, and can slowly imbed itself into the paint, thus making the paint surface feel rough after time. A dust cover prevents this.

With any paint sealant or wax on the surface of the paint, it is only be a very few microns thick, and that is also subject to ultra violet attack from the sun, and also is subject to breaking down.

The ultimate maintenance for paint is to wash it minimum every three months, block the paint and polish it, then drive the car to dry it out before garaging it with a dust cover.

E200K

Hi Mat, I want to throw a query at you regarding the availability of the German Polish, but more so the ten hours it takes to carry out the job. Your cars are looking great, but then again they always have, haven't they !
Regarding the time factor, one would have to enquire as to the cost involved.

I had Gleaming Beauty resprayed by Michel almost six months ago, and I haven't touched the paint - well, I haven't wanted to, except one polish with Carnuba wax. Naturally, I am keen on preserving the quality of the job, such as it is, and I am wondering if you have any specific suggestions. You don't believe in paint sealer ? Just not sure if I understand properly. Nice to know you have settled in well - like what I see of the house and surroundings, plus the nice, large double garage.

As a matter of interest, your pal D.Gobert is battling on well with the new 'hobby horse" he has taken on, but I don't envy him for the task he has been saddled with, and the obstacles that some want to place in his path. Stay in touch with him as he needs all the support he gets. Regards Styria

G'day Styria,

The product Mathew is taliking about is called Menzerna. It's available at a number of places but I got mine a while back from Mike Rafael at carcareproducts.com.au Here's a link ... http://www.carcareproducts.com.au/products/menzerna

I used a selection of the cutting compounds with a random orbital and various pads to restore the W126. Really easy to do and great results if you top it off with a good wax. I tend to only use PO60 as an all-in-one on the newer W210.

I've got some Menzerna that I'm struggling to use up. More than happy to provide some sample pots for people to try.

Cheers,

OP
mathew

mathew

The ten hours is easy to explain mate when you see what he does, every bit of plastic is taped up the rubber seals are protected and then the work begins, it's a painstaking process which is all about attention to detail. Iv'e never seen anything like it before but I can assure you you can see where the ten hours went. The moment I drove it into Mercedes-Benz at Wagga they wanted to borrow it for display on the showroom floor and when you see it in the flesh you can see why!

260ebenz

Master
Mat is that 10hrs spent on both cars or just one car?

What an honour to display your Mercedes on the showroom floor at the MB Dealership at Wagga!

Cheers.

Last edited:

E200K

The ten hours is easy to explain mate when you see what he does, every bit of plastic is taped up the rubber seals are protected and then the work begins, it's a painstaking process which is all about attention to detail. Iv'e never seen anything like it before but I can assure you you can see where the ten hours went. The moment I drove it into Mercedes-Benz at Wagga they wanted to borrow it for display on the showroom floor and when you see it in the flesh you can see why!

Mat, I'm sure the guys in Wagga are good but taping the car up is pretty much standard practice. I think that virtually all detailers will tape up trim on the car before machine polishing. You should consider getting hold of a dual action polisher and having a go yourself.

What was your paint thickness like?

Cheers,

450SE

In my experiences, I would prefer to give my detailing job to somebody who will take longer to do the job 'right'.

Twice, I have been silly and gone for a company based on price and cursed on both occasions. They were basically only glorified car washers with access to a buff and too caustic cleansers.

In short on one occasion occasion, my car at the time (Audi A4 Avant) was returned with grot including leaves in the tailgate water channels and marks on the beige rooflining. I wasn't happy.

Far less happy was I with the results of the 450SE. Chemicals too harsh for the 35 year old interior were used, resulting in discolouration on the side of the centre console, steering wheel hub and damage to the woodwork across the glove compartment.

Thankfully, this has all been rectified, but the detailer still does not acknowledge damaging the interior of my car.

When I bought the E220 recently, I was aware of a burn in the bonnet from bird soil not being washed off some time before. I knew it could be removed wihout having to resort to respraying, but I did not have the skills to buff it out.
Two detailers said it was not possible and would have to be resprayed. One of these detailers was linked to a panelbeating shop.
The other detailer did not fill me with confidence anyway.

My third choice of detailers said it was possible to cut out - but would take time and care.
I figured if this guy were to muck it up and I had to respray the panel, so be it - it seemed that nobody else wanted to do the job anyway. It was all too hard.
The result?
Buffed out without a trace. I then decided to be smart and take the car back to the other two 'detailers' because, suffice to say, I will not consider using them in future.

So - ten hours? Yeah, I'd be willing to pay that for a job well done. Sometimes it boils down to quality over cost.

Just my opinion though...

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Ten hours is nothing compared to the risk of someone getting it wrong. I have to agree with 450SE here - quality remains long after the price is forgotten. I prefer to do my own buffing and polishing but there is a time in every car's life when it needs the care of a professional and a true professional is worth his (or her) weight in gold.
I've seen a car that was not masked and the paint was beautifully buffed but the adjoining rubber was marked with ingrained white compound that was impossible to remove and the stainless steel was scored with marks from the over-run of the machine. Repair would have been very costly.
Never, ever, ever allow a detailer to win your custom based on price alone. The cost of rectification could easily be traumatic.
Regards,
Brian

OP
mathew

mathew

The choice to give it to a pro was easy and I can assure you guys it is more than just mask and taping his attention to detail is painstaking. Pretty much though I figured it was a 22 year old car and never in it's life has it had a professional detail so I figured, $50 an hour could be justified. I simply didn't want to use cutting compounds myself I'd cry if I stuffed it.

He explained that you want to cut as little as the clear coat as possible so they like to go over it a few times with a softer compound rather than a one of hard compound, he explained the objective is to get the maximum reflection whilst retaining maximum amount of paint/clear coat. Sounds logical but he had a black Audi A8 that had been "Detailed" down the road and if I owned it I would have shot this other mob, an amateur job that had only manged to put more swirls than you could imagine onto the car. You get what you pay for I guess.

So yes $500 is a bit of cash I agree but seriously you can't drive this car anywhere in Wagga with out people looking at it. I've lost count of the number of people asking what do you detail that car with, spread that cost out over 22 years and it's not very much. Now all I do is DODO it once every eight weeks and it just looks stunning.

Cheers Mat

260ebenz

Master
The choice to give it to a pro was easy and I can assure you guys it is more than just mask and taping his attention to detail is painstaking. Pretty much though I figured it was a 22 year old car and never in it's life has it had a professional detail so I figured, $50 an hour could be justified. I simply didn't want to use cutting compounds myself I'd cry if I stuffed it.

He explained that you want to cut as little as the clear coat as possible so they like to go over it a few times with a softer compound rather than a one of hard compound, he explained the objective is to get the maximum reflection whilst retaining maximum amount of paint/clear coat. Sounds logical but he had a black Audi A8 that had been "Detailed" down the road and if I owned it I would have shot this other mob, an amateur job that had only manged to put more swirls than you could imagine onto the car. You get what you pay for I guess.

So yes $500 is a bit of cash I agree but seriously you can't drive this car anywhere in Wagga with out people looking at it. I've lost count of the number of people asking what do you detail that car with, spread that cost out over 22 years and it's not very much. Now all I do is DODO it once every eight weeks and it just looks stunning.

Cheers Mat

$500 that's spare change for 'Battleship' owners isn't it?! lol.
;):D

260ebenz

Master
G'day Styria,

The product Mathew is taliking about is called Menzerna. It's available at a number of places but I got mine a while back from Mike Rafael at carcareproducts.com.au Here's a link ... http://www.carcareproducts.com.au/products/menzerna

I used a selection of the cutting compounds with a random orbital and various pads to restore the W126. Really easy to do and great results if you top it off with a good wax. I tend to only use PO60 as an all-in-one on the newer W210.

I've got some Menzerna that I'm struggling to use up. More than happy to provide some sample pots for people to try.

Cheers,

Hey Simon any luck with the sample of the Menzerna?

Cheers mate.

Oversize

Grand Master
Polishing's always been a bit on a mystery to me. I tried it many years ago and after hours of elbow grease my XE was shinier, but some marks remained. Newer products are available now, but even with an electric polisher, but I'm still wary of cutting through the clear, creating swirl marks, damaging surround trims and generally making a mess and a real hash of it.

I had someone who could've shown me how and she posted here for a while, but sadly she moved on.... :(:confused:

Does anyone have someone they can recommend in Victoria??