How to Clear Hazed Headlamp Plastic

More threads by SEL_69L

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
A quality car like any Mercedes should be should have top quality materials used in ALL parts of the car. That ain't so with current cars, especially when it applies to headlights, unfortunately.
As with all other modern cars, the plastic headlights can haze after a few years.

All is not lost, however.

This problem CAN be corrected.

The area around the headlights need to be masked up to avoid adjacent paint damage. Extensive area coverage is needed to protect the paint.

Rub down the headlight lens with 600 grit wet and dry paper, then 2,000 grit wet and dry paper.
Completely clean and dry.

Select a top quality clear coat laquer.
It is essential that it will not yellow, and be temperature and ultraviolet resistant.
Spray according to the directions.
Remove the masking.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
All is good, except that you need to buff and polish the headlight after the 2000 paper, before applying the clear.

If anyone is in need to have their headlights done and isn't a good do-it-yourself person, then bring your car over to Jerry and he'll fix it for you for a small fee.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
All is good, except that you need to buff and polish the headlight after the 2000 paper, before applying the clear.

If anyone is in need to have their headlights done and isn't a good do-it-yourself person, then bring your car over to Jerry and he'll fix it for you for a small fee.
Jerry is doing mine...:D
Regards,
Brian

OP
SEL_69L

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
With the top quality materials that Mecedes-Benz is sopposed to use (in this case headlight lenses), one would be permitted to think that this sort of refurbishment should never be required.

Sadly, I have often seen clouded and hazed headlight lenses on Mercedes-Benz cars of less than 10 years old.

Styria

The Godfather
It is totally co-incidental that It is only today that I came across a Benz Sedan at Car City who are located at Minchinbury. After reading this thread, I should have paid attention to age and model of the car I saw. What really took my eye was the deplorable state of the headlight lenses - they were smoke in colour, well almost. It would have been a '90s model, and my thoughts turned to my 2007 Holden Captiva - Cappie as he is known sporting headlight lenses as clear as glass after nine years.

Gleaming Beauty of course, now 38 years of age, still spots perfectly clear glass lenses. So, a minus point for the three pointed star models of just yesteryear although, having said that, I have seen many Toyotas with similar irritating shortcomings. Disappointing. Regards. Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
The 'clouded look' is only pertaining to 'plastic' lenses and usually to vehicles from the 90' to early 00's.
As such Gleaming Beauty and other W116s would never be affected

Styria

The Godfather
Fair enough Michel, but I would have thought that a manufacturer, especially Mercedes Benz, would have ensured the fitment of good quality, and better lasting items, in the first place. Really, when one thinks about, it would be unsafe to drive any vehicle at night, on the highway, with headlight lenses that are badly clouded as I have seen from time to time. Regards. Styria

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Fair enough Michel, but I would have thought that a manufacturer, especially Mercedes Benz, would have ensured the fitment of good quality, and better lasting items, in the first place. Really, when one thinks about, it would be unsafe to drive any vehicle at night, on the highway, with headlight lenses that are badly clouded as I have seen from time to time. Regards. Styria
Exactly!
Regards,
Brian

c107

and 111/116/124/126
The 'clouded look' is only pertaining to 'plastic' lenses and usually to vehicles from the 90' to early 00's.
As such Gleaming Beauty and other W116s would never be affected

A lot of cars of that era seem to do this. the 1999 5 series my brother owned was also very cloudy.

Having said that the light output was still better most older stuff!