220SE Convertible

More threads by Styria

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Michel very true sorry about my spelling need to spot using my phone. Corvairs are good to repower kombi's as well. I once drove a type3 fitted with a corvair engine a lot of fun. :D

Tony66_au

Hi Michel very true sorry about my spelling need to spot using my phone. Corvairs are good to repower kombi's as well. I once drove a type3 fitted with a corvair engine a lot of fun. :D

Subaru Boxer engines are better................ but a brake upgrade is definitely needed

WiSeGuYY

hey MICHEL , loved that car ( CORVAIR ) specially as in pic , LHD , was that in AUSTRALIA or the USA?? Man you have fine taste of WHEELS.

Back the W111 i think it is either 220 S or 250 S depend on the year of manufacture not a SE ( don't mind the badge ) the car have many parts added by the owner like the side chrome and the tail lights which come from other model.

About the front side mirrors -in many places you must have to get the license to hook a trailer ( boat or mobile home) so it might be used for towing one.

I know it doesn't show a back hook but that might be removed too.

there is an article about identical car model in mercedes car fans magazine this week

REGARDS

TAREK

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Subaru Boxer engines are better................ but a brake upgrade is definitely needed

In the mid-sixties Subaru was producing these cars, fitted with a 0.36L engine
You wouldn't have repowered your sewing machine with it :p

Attachments

• 1958-subaru-360-640x440.jpg
    1958-subaru-360-640x440.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 1958-subaru-3601-640x452.jpg
    1958-subaru-3601-640x452.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
hey MICHEL , loved that car ( CORVAIR ) specially as in pic , LHD , was that in AUSTRALIA or the USA?? Man you have fine taste of WHEELS.
REGARDS
TAREK

Hello TAREK,

This pic was taken in the USA the day I bought it and drove it from San Francisco to LA to have it shipped to Sydney.

Oversize

Grand Master
Michel what were you doing in the US? Work, holiday, or working holiday? We did the very same drive earlier this year in a convertible Mustang. What'd you think of the scenery and the car during the trip? Did many stop n stare, or give you the thumbs up?

260ebenz

Master
In the mid-sixties Subaru was producing these cars, fitted with a 0.36L engine
You wouldn't have repowered your sewing machine with it :p

Come on Michel that Subaru in the photo surely would give Red Terror a run for it's $! LOL.
;)

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Michel what were you doing in the US? Work, holiday, or working holiday? We did the very same drive earlier this year in a convertible Mustang. What'd you think of the scenery and the car during the trip? Did many stop n stare, or give you the thumbs up?

That was about seven years ago.
I had organized to buy a Citroen SM from a guy in San Fran and thus organized to come and have a look with the view to sealing the deal there and then.
I was coming from Europe (from a conference and needed to go to Las Vegas on the way back.
But when I arrived in San Fran from Europe, the idiot tells me he had sold the SM - although I must have rang him about 10 times, including just before I left Heathrow.
Anyway... fate had it that as I left where we were supposed to meet, this Corvair was parked with a For Sale sign. So I called the number and struck a deal. The owner needed to get to LA, so he offered to share the drive and the fuel.
Didn't stop much for anything but fuel as I was in a hurry and half way we veered of Highway 1 onto the 5 for a faster run.

WiSeGuYY

What a lucky strike MICHEL , i envy you for manage in such short stay to get a rare find like this , i wonder is it allowed to drive a LHD is australia ? do you still have it ? or just collectable item?

MARK , i still memorize the pics you took in your summer trip to west coast , fine cars in there.

REGARDS

TAREK

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
What a lucky strike MICHEL , i envy you for manage in such short stay to get a rare find like this , i wonder is it allowed to drive a LHD is australia ? do you still have it ? or just collectable item?
REGARDS
TAREK

It was a rare find indeed!
LHD is now allowed (after years of fighting bureaucracy) but only on cars older than 25 or 30 years depending on which State or Territory you live in.

I sold the Corvair. It was never the car to make my heart flutter :rolleyes:

WiSeGuYY

LOL MICHEL , but it is nice to have as part of a collection ( if you have the place ) i don't think i would mind to have it parked.

SHAME that we are not allowed here to import cars older than 2 years from abroad to register but only as spare parts .

REGARDS

TAREK

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
SHAME that we are not allowed here to import cars older than 2 years from abroad to register but only as spare parts .
REGARDS
TAREK

Even as 'vintage' or 'collector' cars?