motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Styria it is non injected so it is slow :D

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
First of all it is a 250SE (not 220SE)

The tailights are funny :eek:

And it has no brake booster

As well as twin carbies instead of injection as the E in SE tells us.

Oversize

Grand Master
Those mirrors are pretty awful! The rear valance has issues. I don't mind the wheels, but not my wheels of choice. I don't like the wood around the instruments. Is it a manual?

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Michel - Motec 6.9. Well spotted, although I must confess to not knowing how you (Michel) can spot it as a 250. Of course, also, the 220SE never had the chrome strip down the side.

Mark - regarding the timber instrument binnacle. In my opinion, it is one of the finest items on the interior of these early Coupes. The same as on a 300 model (SE Coupe), whilst the 280SE 3.5 Coupe already had to make do with a moulded vinyl item. That's what you call "cheapening the process".

Benz Boy - sorry you didn't like the chromed Bundts. Obviously they are not genuine but, in my humble opinion, that's not too bad a feature. Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Michel - Motec 6.9. Well spotted, although I must confess to not knowing how you (Michel) can spot it as a 250. Regards Styria

The badge says 250SE :eek:

abl567

Super Moderator
And it has no brake booster

If I remember correctly the brake booster is hidden under the mud guard on early finnies, coupes and cabs

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
The tailights are funny :eek:

What about the tailights???

I have never seen a coupe or convertible with full Finnie sedan tailights :confused:

abl567

Super Moderator
What about the tailights???

I have never seen a coupe or convertible with full Finnie sedan tailights :confused:

There was a thread on the M-100 forum about this car, Eddie is a member. I'll try and find it and post a link, the car had many odd additions and changes.

http://www.m-100.cc/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3746&SearchTerms=250SE,Cab

Now to change the subject, I need Sherlock Benz. I bought this 220SE Cabrio on Ebay yesterday for very small money. Couldn't resist it even though it's a "hybrid"
http://picasaweb.google.com/gilmartin.eddie/London220SECabrio
Seller described it as having a non-original 280S engine, non-original trim etc.
Photos are bad quality but I think I see a 250SE badge on the boot/trunk and 280S on the dash (where I'll be putting a nice Ebay Becker).
Then he says the VIN starts 112...
Is there any chance I've bought a 300SE converted to carbs???
Collecting in London next week. Can't wait.
Regards. Eddie.

Last edited:

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Styria laments the move to a padded dash: "rk - regarding the timber instrument binnacle. In my opinion, it is one of the finest items on the interior of these early Coupes. The same as on a 300 model (SE Coupe), whilst the 280SE 3.5 Coupe already had to make do with a moulded vinyl item. That's what you call "cheapening the process"."
Ye, the wood binnacle is lovely to look at and touch - but it failed to comply with safety regulations and had to give way to padded vinyl.
Regards,
Brian

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Isn't it amazing the information one can dig up without even trying. I was totally unaware, the same as 260E Benz, who provided the link in the first place. So, I have had a good read of all details on the M100 site - it's a bit of a mess, or at least it appears that way. What I also find paradoxical is that once the thread was finished, nothing further has been heard of the car since. I wonder how it all ended up.

Strange, yep. Just as an aside responding to Benz Boy - you may well be right regarding the safety aspect of the timber dash. However, do you know when these so called 'safety regulations' were introduced, and in what country ? To take it a bit further. In 1968, Mercedes built a very short lived 300SEL with the M130 2.8 litre engine and rumour has it that the proper M189 300 engine was discontinued on account of costs. I can also verify that a number of trim items, such as locks and electric window switches, plus some sundry items, were somewhat superior in quality with similar items fitted the following year - and those changes had nothing to do with safety aspects. Regards Styria

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Well yes, I am correct Styria. :D
Of course Rove rtook it one step too far and began using Formica imitation wood for the P6. That was a real drop in standards!!
Even before safety regulations demanded the dropping of real wood from instrument binnacles and door surrounds, there were major concerns of splinter damage in an accident. Ralph Nader really put the cat amongst the pigeons in 1965 with his book "Unsafe at any speed" and manufacturers were quick to respond.
Similarly, I would have grave concerns about a wooden steering boss. Wood is most unforgiving.
Regards,
Brian

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi brian tge book unsafe at any speed is located in the fiction section of your library. The victim of that book the Chevolet Corsiar had lift of oversteer issues but was better in this regard than the then current Volkswagons . I have had the pleasure of driving a total off 4 Corsiars over the years as a friend has a collection of them in the ACT . Including the Monza coupe fitted with turbo :D

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi brian the book unsafe at any speed is located in the fiction section of your library. The victim of that book the Chevolet Corsiar had lift of oversteer issues but was better in this regard than the then current Volkswagons . I have had the pleasure of driving a total off 4 Corsiars over the years as a friend has a collection of them in the ACT . Including the Monza coupe fitted with turbo :D

BenzBoy

Grand Master
It might certainly belong in the fiction section but it sure stirred up a lot of feeling and is still quoted as the book that began the consumer movement. My favorite fiction is still the "rally-driving-exerienced" person who claimed her Toyota accelerated to 160 kph without human intervention - and yet engineers could not replicate it or find a cause. There are many fictions and some cause greater harm than others...
Regards,
Brian

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Brian most true some surrounding the spirit on your Rolks Royce by the way your badge would be with black lettering would it not. On your p11 as before Henry left this plane the RR badge was red lettering :D:D

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
There was nothing wrong with the Chevrolet Corvair, unless you thought there was something wrong with the VW and the Porsche of the day.

I had a Corvair Monza convertible and it was a lot of fun.

I think Americans and that dopey Ralph Nader (who was only pushing his own barrow) were simply not used to driving a powerful rear-engined car.

Attachments

• michel-corvair.jpg
    michel-corvair.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited: