This Xmas trim job

More threads by WGB

Styria

The Godfather
Bill, excellent job - after seeing the pic of the vinyl covered knee roll,I am surprised that it took you so long to recover it in the backless carpet. Other than the steering column which is not all that bad (although a quick coat of pressure pack would do wonders), what is next on the agenda ? AMG cams ? It's gotta be hard, because the car is already so well kitted out. Regards Styria

OP
WGB

WGB

Hi Styria,

I became entangled with a number of other projects this xmas - including helping in painting the interior of the new house I have built for my Daughter and Grandson on our 10 acre block, and repairing a sheared off Cat 1 mounting point on the diff of my Massey-Fergusson - so didn't get the rear diagonal bushes replaced on the 6.9 nor getting the timing chain totally zeroed as I had planned.

After that I will probably import a new HVAC fan motor at some stage later in the year as I am fed up with the intermittent squeals of delight from the present one.

The next two projects are a bit more fiscally taxing and are the front struts (or at least the right one) and then a new rear window.

I now own four rear windows of the correct tint but each one has some problem or other and I will investigate the cost of a new one before I accept a compromise.

Bill

BenzBoy

Grand Master
WGB wrote; "The next two projects are a bit more fiscally taxing and are the front struts (or at least the right one) and then a new rear window.
I now own four rear windows of the correct tint but each one has some problem or other and I will investigate the cost of a new one before I accept a compromise.
Bill"
In that case Bill I suggest you get fiscally serious and buy a moderately run down Silver Cloud or even a Shadow to work on - everything is easy to get at (to take out the spark plugs you take off the front fender on early modelsof Clouds) and you will have the joy of making your own parts!!
Rear windscreens? I priced one for the Spirit since it has one corner that is starting to de-laminate and when the parts house rang back with the quote the gentleman suggested I get a cup of tea and sit down before he told me the cost.
Regards,
Benz-Boy
Edit - I just checked in the UK for the price of a Spirit rear screen. 441 pounds UK or $5000 fitted in Australia. That almost pays for an economy airfare to collect it!!

Last edited:
OP
WGB

WGB

Hi BB,

I have seriously toyed with the thought of an RR many times over the years and close to 20 years ago I nearly purchased a Bentley Turbo R of the sort that broke Des' heart a couple of years ago.

There is only one car other than what I have that stirs me and that is a series 1 4.2 FHC E-type - Five times I have been at the point of applying ink to cheque and backed away for one reason or another.

If something happens to my wife in the next year or two (she keeps on keeping on though) she may be replaced by one of this very expensive, very shiny, e-types that appear in the adds.

Bill

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Maybe it is an 'age' thing but I went and test drove an E Type recently and came away most disappointed - on the other hand, I drove a friend's newly accquired Jaguar MkVIII in original condition and it caused a stir I would not have thought possible!!
Er - um; my wish for you would be that you NOT see a shiny E-Type too soon!!
Regards,
Benz-Boy

OP
WGB

WGB

Anything that causes a stir would be most gratefully accepted:D

The last time I climbed behind the wheel of a series 1 FHC E-type I was 30 kg lighter than I am now and I remember it was a bit of a struggle then so the possible may not be.

On the other hand one of my mentors when I was a fresh faced young medical graduate was a large ENT Surgeon in Auckland who owned several Jaguars including a series 1 FHC as well as a V12 2+2 and he could fit behind the wheel of all of them.

I don't find you own classic cars for the excellence of the driving experience (as most modern cars go, stop and handle better) - it's the dream and the period driving experience that are important.

It just turns "a drive" into "an event" and the fact that a lot of it is my own work adds to it.

Bill

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Now that is true - older cars just don't drive like modern ones and therein lies their appeal. The Spirit is only 8 years older than the ML but the ML feels like a sportcar by comparison - on the other hand, in the Spirit all the inner ciity speedhumps just disappear as if by magic!
When I drove the Jaguar MkVIII I was impressed by the low down torque - dribble down to 10 kph in 4th gear and then floor the pedal and it pulled away smoothly and quietly. I did try a 1954 MG for size but could not fit - I guess we have grown taller (and are a little bigger around the girth) than 56 years ago....:eek:
The one car that does fit me like a glove and drives like a modern car is the Bristol 401 - particularly, the 401 owned by a friend in Victoria. How can I get it out of him?
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
Hi guys, we are getting a bit away from the original subject, but I don't think anyone's particularly worried about it. In fact, I can carry on in a similar vein.

Know of a Jaguar Mark VII or VIII (?) or IX, that's been partially restored. Been resprayed, new upholstery, needs finishing as the owner died some two months ago. Situated at Bella Vista, north western part of Sydney. THe Jag people have been out to inspect and appraise its value and reckoned on about $4k. In case anyone's interested. Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Well I am Styria if you would like to let me have some contact details please?
Regards,
Benz-Boy

You're NOT BenzBoy, ARE YOU????:eek:

You can't drive these cars in summer....:p

BenzBoy

Grand Master
You're NOT BenzBoy, ARE YOU????:eek:

You can't drive these cars in summer....:p
Pray tell why not? Re-cored radiators and electric fans solve most engine overheating problems for English cars and a Gin Sling with loads of ice would keep the captain of the barge happy on the motorway...:p
Does the PII overheat in 40 degrees Celsius? No: it does not!! You have seen the Kevlar shields our Good Friend Garth invented to keep it sweet and happy.
Regards,
Benz-Boy
PS: Help WGB - Michel is trying to ruin one of my dearest fantasies!!

muthaparka

Well I am Styria if you would like to let me have some contact details please?
Regards,
Benz-Boy
Hi Benz-Boy and Styria

Thanks for the interest. The car is definitely available and just for clarification it is a beautiful old Mk X. I am happy to take a call and discuss the Jag in more detail on 0419990009.

Parks

Anyway here are the fruits of this xmas trim job

Old headlining

Headliningold.jpg

This was dirty and a pale cream colour which was out of place to me in a car with black upholstery and gray carpets

New headlining

HeadliningNew.jpg

Much better match with the carpet and clean and shiny.

Here is the old knee roll that had been covered in vinyl in the past and with sloppy clips was also a poor fit with gaps between kick panel and the bottom of the dash.

Kickpanelold.jpg

Here is the new carpeted kick panel and knee rolls with no more gaps and new trim clips.

Kneerollnew.jpg

I could have used gray carpet but I prefer the contrast between the black and the gray.

And just to honour the Godfather's comments earlier - I have re-fitted my original AMG steering wheel (until I get sick of not seeing more than 80km/hr on the speedo).

AMGSteeringwheel1.jpg

Which only leaves me a reminder to re-spray the steering column shroud.

Bill

Good job Bill, a job well done , we will make a motor trimmer out of you one day ;) did you find the job easy enough and self explanitary?

OP
WGB

WGB

Thanks Parks for teh compliment.

Problem areas were

1) I applied the backless carpet on the "cross grain" instead of vertical and it tended to pucker over the tighter concave surfaces - no matter what I did and I tried a coupl of re-glues. There are a couple of wrinkles and I know Styria was wanting to get hold of some of the carpet but I have about half left and if the wrinkles get to me I will re-do it using the vertical grain (weft?).

I carefully removed all the old glue and rubber residue with paint stripper and I am pleased I did as the backless carpet does tend to show any irregularities underneath.

2) The headlining was interesting as considerable force is requied to clip in the central flat rod and next time I would have probably used a little foam to prepare the surface a bit more carefully - but really I'm just getting a bit too picky.

Bill

Styria

The Godfather
OK - Monday is the day to view.
Regards,
Benz-Boy

I am glad you have established contact with No. 1 son. The car ? I think it has good potential. Obviously some work will be required, and I have done a quick look as to what's available in the market place. The selection can best be described as being somewhat 'scant' - not too many about. Anyway, it will indeed be interesting whether the car will meet your criteria.

Could be a 'corker' to get the Gurney Nutting to various shows and displays in style - without having to turn a wheel. I can just visualize you and Stevie having a 'pow wow' as to who is going to take the wheel of the monstrous Jaguar limo. :D

Well, why not ? Regards Styria

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Styria - I had a chat to some of my Jaguar Club friends and they all looked bored at the prospect of a MkX/420G etc saying they are too big and cumbersome and not worth the effort. Seems they have yet to find their niche in the Classic Car world - on the other hand, I like big cars. I adore the MKIX I spoke about earlier so I am certainly very interested.
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Styria

The Godfather
Hi BenzBoy, I had already penned about six lines in my reply, but they got lost. So, I'll try and start again. Well yeah, it is amazing the amount of snob nosed 'knockers' that pervade the classic car scene. Sure, I know that the 'lowly' Mark IX or X cannot hold a candle to the perceived quality, or lack thereof, of a Jaguar E-Type, but then again you are nibbling at a different price range level, aren't you ?

I mean, if the truth be known, the quality of the Jaguar product could quite easily be held to ridicule, yet today's afficionados are still shaking their heads in bewilderment as to how Sir William Lyons could cram so much by way of desirable qualities into the price range he was working on and selling the cars for to the public.

With the large Mark 9 or 10, you get that nice 3.8 litre twin cam engine that makes music under acceleration (unlike the 4.2s), and you have the beautiful independent rear suspension as pioneered on the 3.8S type - don't forget, I used to own one of them. Forget the fixed rear end of the so much 'revered' MarkII - a car with that horrible suspension, yet it attracts the cult following it does not really deserve. In fact, I know a guy that had a very nice MarkII which he swapped for a "lowly" Rover 2000TC - he reckoned he could not put up with the Mark II fixed axle. Anyway, I am digressing - you be the judge when the time comes. Regards Styria

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Never having owned a mark 10 jag i cant really comment but k murphy who i bought my 6.9 of also owned a mark 10 which he was keeping and sold the 6.9 to me so i guess they cant be that bad i have driven a friends xj12 72 model its a lot of fun but then it should be its rego is 454jag:D