European 116's

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Well, in Austria, at least or, to be precise, in Vienna. Spotted this 280SEL in one of Vienna's side streets, in used but surprisingly good condition.....just to please Michel, it was in Milan Brown..honestly guys, it CAN be a smashingly good colour..

Mike230.jpg

However, later on another occasion and another place I happened to call in at a museum in a small village called Amerang, which had some of the most fascinating cars I have ever seen - not necessarily rare, but certainly very, very different to the cars I had seen at C. F. Mirbach. Both places located n quite close proximity of each other, but certainly in the middle of 'Nowhere'. More on that later.

Anyway, the place at Amerang featured this, well believe it or not, 6.9. A bit down at the back, no battery, bonnet padding in need of renewal, but certainly a fairly well kept car in the now mandatory colour of, you guessed it, Milan Brown...

Mike118.jpg

Mike121.jpg

...at least, we now know the temporary fate of the Chassied Number of this 6.9
Mike120.jpg

....and its recorded mileage
Mike119.jpg

Regards, Styria. So, this now makes it four in two visits, but I did spot another a couple of days ago, but no camera in sight.

Last edited:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I am truly starting to worry about the Austrians and their love of (Milan) Brown :p

WGB

That high pressure hydraulic line from the new looking pump with the hose clip around it looks very scarey.

I followed a spotless Milan Brown 450 home a couple of months ago - it looked stunning in the bright sunlight. It's just they don't look the same once they get a little "down at mouth".

Bill

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi WGB, I honestly think that Milan Brown, when painted in the latest Spies Hecker or possibly Standox, paint, attains an absolutely stunning and vibrant look, and a superb copper shade in bright unlight.

I do admit that the ORIGINAL Milan Brown, as from the factory, certainly lacks that sparkle needed to appreciate a fine colour. Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Hi WGB, I honestly think that Milan Brown, when painted in the latest Spies Hecker or possibly Standox, paint, attains an absolutely stunning and vibrant look, and a superb copper shade in bright unlight.

I do admit that the ORIGINAL Milan Brown, as from the factory, certainly lacks that sparkle needed to appreciate a fine colour. Regards Styria

Milan Brown from the factory should have been painted either with Standox or Spies Hecker (Herberts) or Glasurit, all of them superb quality paints, thus not requiring any differentiation from today's repaints.

s class

I'm still uncertain about colour choice for trusty rusty, but you guys are doing a good job of swaying me towards Milan. I wonder if the older members can recall what Milan looked like when new - I suspect we have a negative view of it now, as it seems the paint didn't weather as well, or as benignly, as some other colours.

I agree Bill, that hose looks horrendous. Otherwise, the car looks wonderfully free of sun damage - just look at those front indicator lenses.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I'm still uncertain about colour choice for trusty rusty, but you guys are doing a good job of swaying me towards Milan. I wonder if the older members can recall what Milan looked like when new - I suspect we have a negative view of it now, as it seems the paint didn't weather as well, or as benignly, as some other colours.

I agree Bill, that hose looks horrendous. Otherwise, the car looks wonderfully free of sun damage - just look at those front indicator lenses.

Well my Spirit is the R-R equivalent of Milan Brown - just a dash of purple and some extra sparkle - and I like it. I recall Milan Brown when it was around on new cars and I hated it then but love it now. It must be an age thing...:p
Regards,
BenzBoy

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi guys, if I had access to my PC, I would again be able to demonstrate to you just how good the Milan Brown can look in Spies Hecker - quite stunning. Regards Styria

TJ 450

That hose looks fine to me, it's the non-revised version like mine. The revised version has an extra layer of rubber over the braiding.
hosexw9.th.jpg

Tim

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Hi guys, if I had access to my PC, I would again be able to demonstrate to you just how good the Milan Brown can look in Spies Hecker - quite stunning. Regards Styria

I repeat my previous statement.

Milan Brown is the same colour regardless of the brand of paint.....:rolleyes:

oscar

Can't argue that statement Michel however, I've said in the past that I've wondered whether the mica particles are larger now, different colour, maybe brighter ?? than the original used. Parts of the milan brown 280 I have are in very good nic with small sections of unmarked clearcoat and is what first changed my mind about how good the colour can look, but the metallic nature of this original paint seems not as vibrant as newer metallics.

Styria, is this one you were referring too? 6.9 with lareger bundts I think. No point in me showing a good part of the 280. Really have to compare original with a respray side by side and in person I reckon but I love the coppery tone in the sunlight of the car below.

WGB

In my opinion shiny Milan Brown in good condition looks quite spectacular but once it gets old it seems to transform to a dull looking colour.

The dark brown when shiny sets off the chrome beautifully but as both the chrome and the paint dull the effect is lost.

Bill

G

GreaseMonkey

Twenty years ago in London I had a 1966 Ford Thunderbird in a limited edition colour they called "Emberglow". In the right light it looked exactly like that car.
If it would come up as good as that I may change my mind about what colour to repaint the Crayford!
Keep 'em comin',
Chris.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I don't know...
I have just had a look at the best pics of my former Milan Brown 690SEL and i am not convinced...
IMG_6431Large.jpg
IMG_6218Large.jpg

B

BAR

Hey there... Milan Brown RULES. The Big Brown Bitch is Milan Brown and when polished properly has an amazing depth of gloss, not matched by blacks or blues!

Styria hasn't seen here since being Wax Attacked... he'll surely be impressed as it is much better than the Austrian cars.

I aslo had a Milan Brown W126 in Switzerland about 20 years ago and that looked wonderful when polished and like dry dog shi... when covered in salt spray during winter.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Hey there... Milan Brown RULES. The Big Brown Bitch is Milan Brown and when polished properly has an amazing depth of gloss, not matched by blacks or blues!

Each to his own..:p

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Each to his own. ... OK ... Hey, Michel, I just LOVE the colour of your car!

Thanks David,

I hope you refer to the 'new' colour :p