W108/9 research

More threads by Tony66_au

260ebenz

Master
LOL Well.... He doesn't!

His Missus was looking at buying one of those hybrid Camry's, He said if she did he would Pop over to my place once a week and burn a few tyres on a bonfire to even up any Eco advantage from the Hybrid.

Eco and Hybrid's please they are shockers suppose to clean & green those Hybrid's let the Hollywood Celebs and Greenies buy the Hybrids they are all 'saving the Planet' apparently!

abl567

Super Moderator
The comment I made about fuel use was more to do with tune than economy, as supported by Styria. I only ever do fuel use checks to verify tune status. One does not drive a 6.3 to win economy runs, one drives a 6.3 to shock WRX and Commodore SS owners, and to surprise all those that think all old Benzes are compression ignition:D

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
The comment I made about fuel use was more to do with tune than economy, as supported by Styria. I only ever do fuel use checks to verify tune status. One does not drive a 6.3 to win economy runs, one drives a 6.3 to shock WRX and Commodore SS owners, and to surprise all those that think all old Benzes are compression ignition:D

WELL SAID Ant!:cool:

WiSeGuYY

LOL @ economy run , sigh , people BUY 6.3 for one of 2 reasons, either ENJOY the RIDE or the use is not much to the extend they suffer from excess fuel consumption .

I remember last year me and my brother bought 2 black c204. his was c180 mine was c300 then he came and ask me why the heck i bought the 300 not the 180?? i said simply the c180 equipped with 1600 compressor 4 cylender engine, the C300 is equipped with 3000 cc 6 cylender engine , end of story.
you don't brag with big engines it is not the economical factor who drives you all the time.
Some people don't bother with this issues SOME DO.

REGARDS

TAREK

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Anthony (don't want to call you Ant), why not consider giving Tony a proper run-down as far as 6.9 ownership is concerned ? The things to do, the things not to do, the hard bits to work on, the easy bits to work on, what's involved pulling the plugs, changing filter(s), tightening fan belts, removing water pump etc. etc.

At one stage, some three years ago, I changed the complete backend on Anthony's car - in other words, remove complete back suspension and drive line, and fitted replacement unit. If I remember, the job would have taken about (come on, Anthony) sixteen to twenty hours. Would that be about right ? That time does not include dismantling of the sliding joint on the right rear axle - a very, very tricky job, and time consuming. One should also remember that this sliding joint is a weak point on 6.3s on account of the power and torque. I seem to recall that there are 104 (?) tiny little bearings in that assembly. Anyway, don't want to steal Anthony's thunder. Regards, Styria

Oversize

Grand Master
Personally I think the W116 is very much like the cars of today and the W108, W109 are a much older design. In some ways they are probably regarded as more 'classic' for this reason (and should hold their value better), but some aspects are very quirky and unconventional. This can make them difficult to spanner. Parts are becoming harder to find and more expensive than those for the later cars.

The 6.3 is quite brutal in the way it performs (not unlike a GTHO) and will outrun a 6.9 from a standing start. The 6.9 is more refined with a higher top speed; being designed for the M100 during conception. But as Motec and I know, you can make a 6.9 into a animal if you so desire..... And it'll handle and brake better, plus have the improved safety of the W116 SEL chassis. :cool::D

Of course I'm just a little biased!!!!! LOL! :D:p

Last edited:
OP
Tony66_au

Tony66_au

Hi Anthony (don't want to call you Ant), why not consider giving Tony a proper run-down as far as 6.9 ownership is concerned ? The things to do, the things not to do, the hard bits to work on, the easy bits to work on, what's involved pulling the plugs, changing filter(s), tightening fan belts, removing water pump etc. etc.

At one stage, some three years ago, I changed the complete backend on Anthony's car - in other words, remove complete back suspension and drive line, and fitted replacement unit. If I remember, the job would have taken about (come on, Anthony) sixteen to twenty hours. Would that be about right ? That time does not include dismantling of the sliding joint on the right rear axle - a very, very tricky job, and time consuming. One should also remember that this sliding joint is a weak point on 6.3s on account of the power and torque. I seem to recall that there are 104 (?) tiny little bearings in that assembly. Anyway, don't want to steal Anthony's thunder. Regards, Styria

LOL This sounds like a loaded comment to me!

I already explained to my Bro that I know the W116 and there isn't much that cant be fixed with a minimum of fuss which may not be the case with older Mercedes but he stuck to his guns.

As for labour times?

Try doing the timing chain on a 5.3 V12 Jag in under 3 days, from memory the VACC book quotes 24 hours....

Water pump for same........ 9 hours and so on.

Besides that he will be getting someone else to do the spannering and just wants to enjoy.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Tony, that being the case, he'll be shaking and turning the money pig upside down with a certain amount of gusto ! Still waiting on some further input from Anthony - he is the one that knows better than most of us. Regards Styria

OP
Tony66_au

Tony66_au

A wise man once commented, "You cant put a price on happiness"......

He was warned early on lol and I even had him headed in the 450SEL 6.9 direction but the heart wants what it wants eh?

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Mark Tony &Ant having driven a couple of 6.3 yes i know they are animals . But previously my 6.9 did a 13.1 quarter mile yes it had NOS but it still did this time . My car is now making just under 300 hp at the rear wheels before NOS so the fun thing when it gets back on the road is what will it do or what will go bang :eek:

Oversize

Grand Master
Should we start taking bets??? LOL!! I'll put my money on the stator spline.... ;)

OP
Tony66_au

Tony66_au

Meh..... Mill one up and nitride the bugger.

It will out-live the car.

I have had simple items "turned up" or "Milled" many times when there was an obvious design flaw, even hardened and nitrided when suitable and any decent engineering shop will have someone there with the necessary skills.

These guys are THE guys to use...

Although im not 100% sure about their taking on small jobs these days but it wouldnt hurt to ask.

Hardchrome Engineering
175 Wellington Road
North Clayton 3168 Victoria.
03 9561 9555

http://www.hardchrome.com.au

Oversize

Grand Master
Motec a fully optioned large sedan into the 12s would be a massive achievement!!! And based on your past times, it's entirely possible. Pull the seats (except the driver's - duh) and the spare and who knows??? Low 12s? High 11s??

Tony thanks for the reference. If I get the opportunity I might have one made as a preventative measure.

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Thanks Tony i will keep that address i have a spare auto and the one in my car was rebuilt 50000km ago by prev owner in 99 have reciet was not cheap :eek:. And if all else fails i have adaptor for TH700 . hi Mark when the car gets back on the road i would expect high 12's with NOS but i want a lot more when i put 7.8 litre together as i am looking for at least 500hp . And as the guys who have so far machined my parts and will do final assembly when funds permit build the motor for John Zappia i am confident it will be done comfortably:D

OP
Tony66_au

Tony66_au

No probs and my pleasure gents, But seriously any decent engineering mob should be able to replicate something as simple as that.