W-116 estate

More threads by Des

260ebenz

Master
W116 wagon very rare and it's a very nice looking car.

Turbo Diesel would be pulling some weight W116 aren't on the light slide.

Would that W116 be a Crayford conversion there was a blue W116 Crayford in Australia I believe?

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
There are a few Crayfords in Australia.
One (light yellow) is actually for sale in Lismore (OBH is selling) and needs a total resto!

John Green owns two: one nice blue running and one other for sale!

There was one in WA for sale, but also required extensive repairs and resto.

And then there was a green one (Kermit) that former TK member Greasemonkey owned but then sold to Malaysia.

mrkozzy

Never finished
Saw 1 or 2 black coloured W-116 estate cars some years back, (In Melbourne).
They were stretched etc and used as a herse in the funeral industry.
I remember thinking at the time, it must've cost an arm an a leg for the coach work.
Which gives me the thought......where do all these specially modified funeral/herse cars go to die? HHmmmmmm

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Saw 1 or 2 black coloured W-116 estate cars some years back, (In Melbourne).
They were stretched etc and used as a herse in the funeral industry.
I remember thinking at the time, it must've cost an arm an a leg for the coach work.
Which gives me the thought......where do all these specially modified funeral/herse cars go to die? HHmmmmmm

The funeral vehicles are modified in Australia simply as hearses: no back seat as such and only to carry a coffin.

City funeral cars are onsold to country (funeral) operators who cannot afford new hearses.

Tony66_au

Yes indeed, there is infact a thriving trade in ex Funeral vehicles because they are so expensive new they re sell well second hand with a handful of people who deal in them exclusively.

A mate who collects Hearses worked for such a company and always has a story to tell. :)

Styria

The Godfather
The American car pictured (well, it's the only one) has got a lovely interior. I like the airiness, and particularly the light coloured dash. It really lifts the interior. I carried out the same colour modification on a ROVER 3500S, and it really gave the impression of a certain amount of luxury - the fact that it reflected in the screen was a small price to pay for the boast factor. Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia

Oversize

Grand Master
Yes they're asking decent money for the W116; well above much later model cars. Did anyone notice the rear doors are now missing the door glass and frames? It looks like the doors now open to reveal storage areas....

Tony66_au

Fascinating website!
Amazing number of hearses for sale and wanted and as I suspected in excellent and well maintained condition.
The price on the W116 obviously reflects the popularity and rareness of Benz hearses

I haven't seen many Michel and they tend to work well past their model age too, I did a lot of funerals as a Chauffeur when I had the 300SEL and rarely saw Benz Hearses and a mate of mine has been on my case since I got the Brown SE to put my cars on SV licenses and go back to chauffeur work.

Im told they fall into the Classic Funeral carriage sector and would be quite popular.

260ebenz

Master
W116 green Hearse looks good rare to see a MB W116 used as a Hearse.

Is true when Hearse's are cleaned they sprinkle cornflour over the paintwork then dust of the cornflour that is why black Hearse's are so shiny I was told by a Friend is that accurate?

02.jpg

01.jpg

Last edited:

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Cornflour or baby powder is an old-fashioned way of polishing a car. Each is slightly abrasive - but I would not recommend either unless you want to smell like baby powder....:p
Regards,
Brian

Tony66_au

W116 green Hearse looks good rare to see a MB W116 used as a Hearse.

Is true when Hearse's are cleaned they sprinkle cornflour over the paintwork then dust of the cornflour that is why black Hearse's are so shiny I was told by a Friend is that accurate?

02.jpg

01.jpg

Perhaps in years gone by but these days its easier to call a detailer.

A tip for anyone thinking of buying a funeral carriage or hearse, make sure its been well cleaned out, Bodys leak VERY quickly and there are a lot of cultures that prefer the body not be tampered with, embalmed or stoppered which means soup is a distinct possability and a biohazard.

260ebenz

Master
Cornflour or baby powder is an old-fashioned way of polishing a car. Each is slightly abrasive - but I would not recommend either unless you want to smell like baby powder....:p
Regards,
Brian

Brian you say the cornflour or baby powder is slightly abrasive you mean it can potentially scratch or damage the paintwork of the car?

Something I don't want to happen to my 260E I assume others would be in the same opinion for the car.

As for smelling like baby powder well no thanks.

Funeral Director or Undertaker's job does not sound like fun at all!
:eek:

BenzBoy

Grand Master
You wrote:"Brian you say the cornflour or baby powder is slightly abrasive you mean it can potentially scratch or damage the paintwork of the car?"
Yes. The old trick for faded duco was to mix a little with a liquid wax and then use it to cut the paint - I still use it that way but you need to do that ONLY if the car has duco - and you have a modern paint Tim, so please do NOT try it. The other trick was to use a little on an almost dry chamois after washing and drying the car but essentailly it's a cheapskate way of polishing as it will likely introduce swirl marks in the hands of the inexperienced. An orbital buffer and a very mild cutting oil is much safer but is not often required for a car that is kept in good condition.
Regards,
Brian

260ebenz

Master
You wrote:"Brian you say the cornflour or baby powder is slightly abrasive you mean it can potentially scratch or damage the paintwork of the car?"
Yes. The old trick for faded duco was to mix a little with a liquid wax and then use it to cut the paint - I still use it that way but you need to do that ONLY if the car has duco - and you have a modern paint Tim, so please do NOT try it. The other trick was to use a little on an almost dry chamois after washing and drying the car but essentailly it's a cheapskate way of polishing as it will likely introduce swirl marks in the hands of the inexperienced. An orbital buffer and a very mild cutting oil is much safer but is not often required for a car that is kept in good condition.
Regards,
Brian

Thank you for the advice Brian and no I won't use the cornflour or baby powder rest assured of that.

Cheers Tim.