The Rover P5/P5B

sean sherry

Master
Manual Rover 2000..... I stayed away from all Manual G/Boxes in my Automatic only Workshop. Burnt Clutches and damaged G/Boxes claiming Warranty by incompetent Drivers ! The Clutch Pedal is a Foot Rest >:eek:

sean sherry

Master
Re: The Rover Automatics

Just another experience with Jaguar XJS Automatics.. Even in 100KPH Australia the T 400s gave trouble .. we always found the the earlier fitting of:p Cast Iron BW12 was a better Transmission in these cars. We fitted a front Band from an American Rambler to stop the sliding shift to the 1-2 upshift. The original Band material was to hard which had a lower coefficient of Friction.

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
I think Styria’s ears are burning!!! :D
I do like the backbencher comment. Brings to mind a Tory backbencher of the 60s with his bowler hat and moustache.

The fictitious Jim Hacker MP had to live with an Austin Princess!

Would you believe that my lengthy reply has gotten lost because the system logged me out. Will have to come back to this. Regards. Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
I am not certain which model Benz Boy refers to. He mentions P5 3500 so I presume that he refers to the car normally known as the P5B, the car with the V8 engine introduced to the large bodied P5 that had been current in various guises with the six cylinder engine introduced in 1959, and ending in 1968. I think Benz Boy's assessment of the handling/roadholding/cornering refers to the 3.5 litre V8 model. If the truth be known, and I have expressed this on a number of occasions, British Leyland only scratched the surface of these P5Bs by way of technical developments and improvements. Front suspension unchanged resulting in a much stiffer ride and less re-assuring in cornering, the BW 35 was no match for the car's weight and power etc. etc.

However, come to think of it, the Rolls Royce Silver Shadow Mark I also handled like a dog's breakfast, and would behave like a drunken sailor bobbing in the Australian Bight the moment it would encounter a round about. I know, because I did drive one on a number of occasions. Come to think of it, a Rolls Royce Silver Cloud III would outhandle the Shadow I under any condition which I was able to experience over a period of some nine months.

The Rover 2000/2000TC - I wouldn't mind discussing that model in another thread. I know enough about them, ranging from the engine and gearboxes, to the front and rear suspension, very familiar with some of the mechanical foibles, various performance and handling quirks plus, whichever of the P6 range, would be the most desirable. Question I ask of Benz Boy - has he driven many 2000s (single and TC), 3500 and 3500S, as well as any of the 2200 models. Let's open up the topic. Regards Styria

N.B. I wonder what changed Benz Boy's mind. Interesting.

http://www.topklasse.org/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=45856

N.B. I couldn't help but throwing in this video of my favourite Rolls Royce - bar one. (psssst.......the Bentley Continental S3)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpfYH93e8h8

Last edited:

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
You and your Rovers Styria are almost but not quite as bad as my friend Stoo in Coffs he has a Jensen Affliction has 3 and one is FF . But then he does work for Shannon's

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Geoff, I am a Rover and Mercedes 6.9 tragic - can't get away from that. Your buddy Stoo - I am jealous - he probably got all of his at the right price.Regards Styria

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Most likely first interceptor he bought late 80's still has it

BenzBoy

Grand Master
In brief, having had extensive driving of an original and well-preserved 2000TC manual, I am delighted by the handling and response. So much so that I have to review my attraction to a P5 3500.
More later, connectivity is slow at 30,000 feet.
Regards,
Brian

c107

and 111/116/124/126
In brief, having had extensive driving of an original and well-preserved 2000TC manual, I am delighted by the handling and response. So much so that I have to review my attraction to a P5 3500.
More later, connectivity is slow at 30,000 feet.
Regards,
Brian

I find the best P6 model a conundrum - the P3500S has the best spec, but I feel the earlier cars are far better. Better built, better looking, nicer interiors etc.

In some ways for a very early 3500 with a 5 speed transmission swap out of a rover SD1 may be the ideal P6.

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Brian, I wish you'd call it by its appropriate model designation, i.e. P5B 3.5 litre. It's perhaps an anomaly, but it would save any possible misunderstanding by those that are not familiar with the cars. There is no such model as a P5 3500. Best Regards, Styria

......and I will elaborate further on the P6 range in due course. I do have an opinion as well, having owned various 3500/3500S/2000SC/2000TC and 2200 Automatic with, for that car, the excellent BW35 transmission.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Hi Brian, I wish you'd call it by its appropriate model designation, i.e. P5B 3.5 litre. It's perhaps an anomaly, but it would save any possible misunderstanding by those that are not familiar with the cars. There is no such model as a P5 3500. Best Regards, Styria

......and I will elaborate further on the P6 range in due course. I do have an opinion as well, having owned various 3500/3500S/2000SC/2000TC and 2200 Automatic with, for that car, the excellent BW35 transmission.
Dear Michael, we all make errors! I'm in transit so you will have to berate me at another time.
Designation is always tricky; it is Shadow and Shadow II but between friends does it really matter?
Regards,
Brian

sean sherry

Master
Yes Michael, the Shadows 1 and 2 did corner on their Door Handles..... but there was a kit available from the U. K., Springs and Shocks, that made them stay upright. And with a Transmission Vacuum Modulator from a Pontiac they also drove much better... clean precise upshifts.

Jimb

Distinguished
Hello Styria.
I have two new old stock rear shock absorbers I bought and never fitted for the P5 Rover.
I will include some photos. They are yours if you want them.
Kind regards Jimb.
20190701-140844.jpg

20190701-141031.jpg

20190701-140831.jpg

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
New and Free are Styria favourite things

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Not only have I seen this car at one of the All British Days at the Kings School, but its owner was quite willing to let me photograph some of its more salient features. There is no way that one could really criticize any aspect of the car - it is beautifully kept and in A1 condition bodywise.

There is only one aspect that would stop me from buying the car - it is a Mark III with the dreadful BW35 transmission that just cannot handle the weight of the car. Additionally, and whatever it is, it is not a touring car for the open road. The reason ? An absolute slug, cannot get out of its own way, and being a Mark III, you would be lucky to get 18mpg on the open road. It is a totally frustrating model. Nowhere near the same as Mark IIs, especially with a four speed manual with overdrive box. Regards Styria

This P5 MKIII Coupe is in lovely condition. For sale on the rover club homepage. Asking price $32,000.

https://www.roverownersclub.com.au/classifieds/

Last edited by a moderator:

sean sherry

Master
:eek:The fault is Rovers in fitting the cheap over stressed BW 35. The original design was American for 2.5 litre engines in much lighter Bodies.. The American versions were much more robust than the UK and Australian productions. Heavier Gear Sets to handle the Torque. The non American built units also had fragile case hardening. They were ok in Hillmans , Cortina 4 Cyl etc. Behind a V8 and 4 litre Jags .. fraud could be used to describe this choice.

c107

and 111/116/124/126
:eek:The fault is Rovers in fitting the cheap over stressed BW 35. The original design was American for 2.5 litre engines in much lighter Bodies.. The American versions were much more robust than the UK and Australian productions. Heavier Gear Sets to handle the Torque. The non American built units also had fragile case hardening. They were ok in Hillmans , Cortina 4 Cyl etc. Behind a V8 and 4 litre Jags .. fraud could be used to describe this choice.

Interestingly even Jaguar had their limits. During the development of the 420, they decided that the BW35, which they had recently placed behind the 3.8 liter in the S-Type and MKII instead of the DG was not robust enough for the 4.2 liter engine and so they went with the BW8. I understand the BW8 is stronger.

Jaguar lied about the power outputs of their engines, but the 4.2 as found in the 420 is probably only slightly more powerful than the 3.5 v8 in the Rover.

We know the S3 XJ6 4.2 with bigger valves and electronic fuel injection was rated about 200hp net HP. My guess is the version in the 420 was more like 170-175.