Restoration of my P5 Coupes

Styria

The Godfather
A lot of information has already been posted in various threads pertaining to my Rover 3 litre P5 Coupes. It is hoped that further threads and posts will present a clearer picture of what the hell I have been up to ever since I was twenty four years of age - a neat fifty years ago.....and I still haven't finished. Getting a bit closer, albeit slowly but sure with a purpose....to finish them all ! Rover Ownership for me began when I was nineteen or twenty, when I bought my first P4 Rover 90 on Hire Purchase with the help of Custom Credit Corporation, their Head Office being located in Edgecliff. The price of the car was about $1150.00 - roughly half of a new Holden Price at the time. Don't know why I went to Debiens Motor Auction on Taverners Hill to buy a Rover in the first place - I knew nothing about cars, even less about the fairer sex but I was willing to learn.

Anyway, this is not about P4s such as the referred to 1956 90, nor several Rover 100s (1960 to 1962), or a very rare 1959 105 the story of which I have already chronicled in some details and the story attached to its purchase from the previous owner. The 1956 - 90 was taken to Moree where I had landed a lucrative job with W. A. Flick and Company. Yeah, lucrative for sure.........! The car was a somewhat ill fated purchase as it immediately attracted the ire of the Branch Manager located at Tamworth who told me to get rid of the car and purchase a Ute of some description. What made matters worse that I was in no position to either sell, nor purchase a more "suitable" car to cart around twenty litre drums of Chemicals, White Ant powder, Cockroach stuff etc. - not to mention my sleeping gear. Many a night sleeping at North Star Railway Station, camping beside the road to Garah and Mungindi with my dog Wilkie by my side keeping snakes away and chasing Kangaroos at 4.30- 5.00 in the morning. All part of a learning curve. Phew, never again. Anyway, the Rover 90 on my return to Sydney, marked my first foray into the Rover P5 3 litre Saloon range - 1964 Mark 2A model priced at $1350.00 with a Car Wholesaler at Pymble, and he was prepared to give me $650.00 Trade In, not withstanding piston slap in the engine that I honestly knew nothing about and a front suspension that could not be properly wheel aligned as a result of dropping the car in a half metre deep ditch and a consequent poor repair. I kept this Mark 2A saloon for some time - maybe three to four years, and what a great car it turned out to be. DRB 303 was a great servant, and I sold it to a friend of mine for $2000.00, only to be bought back by myself when he got an accident settlement and bought himself a Range Rover for $14K. All he wanted was $500.00 and I then decided to part out the car. The engine from that car is now in the 1963 Mark 2A Coupe that I am restoring for someone very special right at this point of time.

So now I have three P5 Rovers under restoration, namely the Mark 2A bought in 1971 - four with O/D.
Mark 3 Auto Borg Warner 35 Box, bought about 1979.
Mark 2C Auto Borg Warner DG Box, 1965 bought about mid '70s.
The best market nowadays seems to be the Rover P5B Coupes/Sedans, but I am not particularly fond of the British Leyland made P5B Rovers, with plenty of corners cut, and rust issues that can be worrysome to say the least. More to follow. Regards Styria

N.B. Looking for Thread on the Mark 3 started 24th February, 2018

N.B. I think this has got to be it and, whatsmore, I am hopeful of copying and pasting the thread.

Last edited:
OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
You see, just goes to show what even a "dumb cluck" like me can be capable of (holding deep breath). As can be seen, that Mark 3 thread was started just short of three years ago. Furthermore, as can also be seen, much to my chagrin, that preciously little progress has been made since that initial thread. I have had the necessity brought upon me where I had to move my goods and chattels to Seven Hills, and it has been a hell of a job getting started, getting organized, and then finally recommencing the task of restoration.

One or two of the pictures date back to September and October 2021, and they were taken by C107. Since that time, I have primarily been occupied with a complete rebuild of a 1965 Rover Mark 2C engine with a number of issues that required major remedial action, and that engine belonged to, I am reluctant to relate, an ex-friend of mine. More about that elsewhere in due course. In addition, I have also spent an inordinate time on a 1979 Australian Complied 6.9 that found its way up from another state. Again, more of that, elsewhere in the fullness of time.

I think it is fair to say, that the colour scheme I have chosen can only be considered as exceptionally attractive to the extent that a fellow Rover Owner with a P5B now wants to copy the scheme. It should be pointed out that he has already painted the shut door body areas in an attractive Green with a White roof......I would have to think about that one. Anyway, that's how much he likes the colour scheme of my car. Back about two years ago, I exchanged documentation with a prospective purchaser for the sale of the car on completion in the mid thirties range, but that deal fell through on account of ill health (on his part, not mine) and he has been unable to complete the purchase - it should be borne in mind that he was about 76 and had nearly died of a blood clot.

The car was painted in 2-pack twenty years ago, as was the upholstery refurbished in the finest Austrian leather. There is a reasonable picture of part of the back seat in one of the photos. The twin back seat is shaped like two individual buckets and the quality of work is just gorgeous - all done by award winning Parks who has his workshop now at North Gosford. Leather was used not only on the bucket seats, but also on all door trims and some sundry Interior fittings. Even in those days that long ago, a hide would sell for about $AUD 100 per square meter, and the amount of detailed restoration work is mind boggling. Some of you may know that I have always disliked the BW 35Automatic trying to move a heavy car like the P5/P5B Rovers, and I have taken it upon myself to modify the transmission arrangement by the fitting of a 4 speed with O/D box - a much, much nicer and more responsive car from a driver's point of view. Cruising on the Open Road. There are also Rostyle Wheels as fitted to the P5B models, and they are worth about a grand for a set of five, plus beautifully machined Centre Caps from solid brass. They cost a fortune many years ago - they are unique - world wide no less. Pictures will follow in due course. There is also a sliding Webasto Sunroof that I bought new for two grand God knows how many years ago. All in all, quite a car - once it is finished.

I have been working on various aspects of these cars over the last five to six working days. A long time ago, I had all Radiator cores fully rebuilt, but they became shop soiled over the period. There was a big refurbish/clean up/dismantle day of all radiator components and it involved the removal of fourteen bolts, nuts, flat and spring washers and painting of all components. Most, if not all, bolts and nuts are in stainless steel and no expense, nor time have been spared, to achieve a satisfactory result. Regards Styria20220117_113724.jpg20220117_162441.jpg20220117_162450.jpg20220117_162645.jpg20220117_162649.jpg

Last edited: