Poor quality genuine motor mounts

More threads by c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Back in 2019 I had the motor mounts changed on my SLC.
I stumped up for the genuine mounts, as a lot of the aftermarket rubber parts are rubbish. Had Lemforder been an option, I would have taken it (they are on the 126), but it was Meyle or genuine, and so given the quality of Meyle, I went genuine. These were not cheap, USD $165 per side before taxes, shipping etc. You're probably talking at least AUD$300 per side.

I figured at least that will give me a solid 10 years out of those mounts, and since i'm not doing the job myself, the labour is the expensive part. Also had the little engine shocks done at the same time.

Just had the car in for a check over before my 4,000km road trip to the national rally and I was informed the mounts are flat. I've only put 6,000km on the car in that time.

I'm pretty disappointed. I read somewhere once, the 126 mounts can be used and I want to research that, as the lemforder units are about USD$20 per side and holding up well in my 126 cars.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
That is disappointing.
I need to check the condition of my engine mounts on my 500 SL.

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Bryce,
Just because a mount may look flat, doesn’t mean they are unserviceable.
Is the person checking them highly qualified in the MB product?
Have you seen them with your own eyes?
The workshop manual would indicate what a worn or damaged engine mount should look like or should measure at.
I can’t see genuine items failing at 4,000k

OP
c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Bryce,
Just because a mount may look flat, doesn’t mean they are unserviceable.
Is the person checking them highly qualified in the MB product?
Have you seen them with your own eyes?
The workshop manual would indicate what a worn or damaged engine mount should look like or should measure at.
I can’t see genuine items failing at 4,000k
Yes, they were shown to me by an experienced independent Mercedes mechanic. I had been noticing some vibration, but had ruled out engine mounts because they were so new.

OP
c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Another data point. I think the car had fairly new mounts when I got it in 2003. I don't think they were changed until 2019. The car had a lot of work done by the previous owner in 2002 at the MB dealer, which may have included the mounts.

OP
c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
I'm a bit of a loss as to what to do next, as the only other brand is Meyle which is terrible, and these mounts are reported to last about 6 months before they turn to jelly.

I would like to see a 107 mount compared to a 126 mount, as there are very good lemforder mounts available for the 126. I wonder if they would fit.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I'm a bit of a loss as to what to do next, as the only other brand is Meyle which is terrible, and these mounts are reported to last about 6 months before they turn to jelly.

I would like to see a 107 mount compared to a 126 mount, as there are very good lemforder mounts available for the 126. I wonder if they would fit.
I buy a lot of my Benz parts from ASV Eurocarparts.
They're not the cheapest, but I've never had a problem with parts quality.
Give them a go.

Styria

The Godfather
Bryce, I have several 'NEW' engine mounts on hand that you may wish to consider or have a look at. However, I am unable to confirm which model. Somewhere, there must be some schematic drawings that would illustrate shape and size of various mounts. You should also take into consideration that the cast iron 450 engine block would be considerably heavier than any other engine cast of Alloy. I know of one 6.9 owner (close to 450s) that bought engine mounts for a 300 Diesel and fitted those to his 6.9. All he had to do was use some suitable spacers. I am not even sure if one could purchase, say for that matter, any 6.9 or even your standard 450. Regards Styria