the shape of quality

More threads by Des

Des

Some people here may or may not be interested in this, a sober reminder from a time when me actually produced things here in Australia, even if it was a German car,

I think it is quite fascinating to watch the jigsaw puzzle come together, the Beetle take shape, honest people working hard for a honest days pay.

vw beetle documentary: the shape of quality (1/3)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNRBfy8ay4E

vw beetle documentary: the shape of quality (2/3)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiCojp22cj8

vw beetle documentary: the shape of quality (3/3)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfvJl8-sdBY

OzBenzHead

Master
Des: Interesting. Thanks. :)

Just gotta love the Old School cinema-newsreel voiceover by J Royle!

And did anyone notice that it was written and directed by an F Schepisi? Not quite The Devil's Playground or Evil Angels, but most interesting nonetheless.

oscar

Flipper must have been chasing bandits on the high seas last time I heard bongos played like that. :D Note there's not one sign of flourescent or reflective workwear or a single helmet. Who needs em anyway.:cool:

They're brilliant clips Des.
First thing, I had no idea that some VWs, let alone beetles, were made in Australia for a period of time. Never knew VW had that sort of presence in this country.

Apart from marvelling at the way they did things it's interesting to note the amount of work to put it all together and the machinery involved. I mean those presses for example, all made in Aus and specialized. Wonder where they are now but when a manufacturer like Holden for example talks about tooling up for a new car it's amazing to think about the number of dies and components that need to be manufactured to make the relevant parts.

It is a sober reminder too how "Made in Australia" is on the decline. I bought chicken wire a few weeks back to put around trees. It looked odd, dare I say cheap, it was thin and not real uniform and wrapped in that brittle plastic. Made in China it was. Not sure of the brand, it wasn't Cyclone but there was no other choice from the BIG hardware store I went to that should have more than one brand. Similary I like to buy King Gee or Yakka stuff to work in at home and the garage. To my surprise, King Gee was my last chance at buying made in Aus apparell and they too now are made in China. :( next thing I s'pose my undies will be made in China.... oh forgot, they already are.

OP
Des

Des

Dear Oscar

there was around 260,000 Beetle's made in Australia,

Volkswagen's have been a part of Australia since the early 1950's,

if you have half an hour spare, open a bottle of Scotch and have a read of this:

Australian VW history

http://www.clubvw.org.au/Australian%20VW%20history.htm

The Volkswagen factory stopped making Beetle's around 1976, then the factory was taken over by Datsun,

I think from memory reading that link it is now the HSV special cars factory.

Something I miss is seeing them on the road everyday, it is a rare sight noways to see a Beetle, back in the 1980's they were everywhere, scurrying about,

Last edited:

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I can't imagine anyone fondly remembering a modern car like we do the Beetle. I looked at a tired Maxda 323 on the street today and thought to myself; 'Never destined for greatness; never destined to be loved....' and moved on...
Regards,
Benz-Boy

chrisp

I can't imagine anyone fondly remembering a modern car like we do the Beetle. I looked at a tired Maxda 323 on the street today and thought to myself; 'Never destined for greatness; never destined to be loved....' and moved on...
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Conversely I saw an immaculate Beetle in cream over pale green in Centennial Park (in Sydney for those based elsewhere) today and thought, "I've never been much of a fan of Beetles but this one looks amazing!" If it makes a reappearance I'll take a photo and post it up.

oscar

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I'm almost (am) embarrassed to say I knew none of that. Thanks for the link.

On the subject of Beetles, it's true, you did see them everywhere. We still play "Spot the Bug" when we're on the Hume Hwy but we see more new bugs then the originals.

I keep forgetting that you are a young'un Mr Oscs...:eek:
Bugs used to be a way of life in the Riverina as they could handle the dirt roads better than an EH. Lots of people in the southern Riverina used to keep a 420G and a Bug or two for when the roads were bad. Says a lot about a Bug.:D
Regards,
Benz-Boy

OP
Des

Des

On the subject of Beetles, it's true, you did see them everywhere. We still play "Spot the Bug" when we're on the Hume Hwy but we see more new bugs then the originals.

do you see many new Beetles over there on the mainland?

there are about as many kicking around here as old ones, about a handful.

the Golf's are very popular here, a lot of newer models on the road.
VW recently had in Sydney a celebration for the 100,000th Golf sold in Australia,

they seem to be the new Beetle,

While a Golf is a very good car, one could say the best small car you can buy, it lacks the charisma of the Beetle
The shape of the new Beetle is slowly growing on me,
I think I would like one,

I hear last year they old sold around 900 new Beetle's in Australia, compared to around 25,000 Golf's

Volkswagen-New_Beetle_2005_photo_01.jpg

oscar

do you see many new Beetles over there on the mainland?

I hear last year they old sold around 900 new Beetle's in Australia, compared to around 25,000 Golf's

I've only seen a couple of Golfs here but maybe because they're not as noticeable as the beetle. But there's definitely more new beetles then the old ones in my neck of the woods.

There's a block in the main street where the youngsters hangout in the evenings. The not so well off kids with their commodores and falcons at the top end and in the middle you'll see a mix of euro cars, mostly newish all belonging to P platers. Last Friday night on my way home, I kid you not, I counted seven newer beetles in a throng parked in the middle parking bays. Never seen them congregate like that before but with the closest Euro brands dealers 200km away, it's a bit of a statement to have mum and dad buy you something you can't buy at the dealers in town.

I keep forgetting that you are a young'un Mr Oscs...:eek:
Bugs used to be a way of life in the Riverina as they could handle the dirt roads better than an EH. Lots of people in the southern Riverina used to keep a 420G and a Bug or two for when the roads were bad. Says a lot about a Bug.:D
Regards,
Benz-Boy

IIRC Mr Asia, Terry Clark had a shaguar as well.:cool: wonder if he kept some bugs down here too when he visited. Actually, during the course of my work, many years ago (about 6-7) I saw an immaculate dark green w116 in a farm's garage. I can't remember the address or what type it was and I've never seen it on the road but it makes you wonder how many of those cars, the Jags, Beetles, Mercs are hiding in sheds.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Great clips Sir Des...

As far as production in Australia, many manufacturers produced cars here
including Mercedes and Volkswagen, but most were assemblies.

Styria

The Godfather

Hi Ossie, are you talking about the ones on the windscreen - would they be new or old ? :D Sorry, couldn't resist it ! Regards Styria

oscar

Hi Ossie, are you talking about the ones on the windscreen - would they be new or old ? :D Sorry, couldn't resist it ! Regards Styria

No, on the highway. The way things grow down here the ones on the windscreen we call Superbugs. :D

450SE

Regards,
Benz-Boy

Hellllloooo? What about the Holden Camira? :D

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Hellllloooo? What about the Holden Camira? :D

Don't laugh too loudly; I owned one from new for 3 years and it was a brilliant car which I sold for more than I paid for it - such were the inflationary pressure in the mid 1980s. It went well, never let me down and was comfortable and responsive. However, that was not everyone's experience...
I sold it and began my affair with Lancia and Alfa.
Regards,
Benz-boy

OP
Des

Des

Des - you might upgrade to this - http://www.carpoint.com.au/used-car/VOLKSWAGEN/BEETLE/Tasmania/csn7122388.aspx?State=TAS
Lovely period colour and look what you get as spares!!

Regards,
Benz-Boy

That looks pretty good value for the price being asked, funny thing is you need to spend about $5k to get a good Beetle, they seem to have held their price pretty well, considering for $5k you could buy a pretty good Mercedes, W123, W116 or something similar.

Safety is a bit of a concern driving them, I drive mine slower, about 10-15k's under the speed limit, and never over 80 in the highway, you sit with your nose on the windscreen, non pre tension seat belts, so you have to buckle in, adjust them nice and tight.

The petrol tank in the front is a concern, but more so the fuel line, Beetle's have a nasty habbit of old fuel lines giving way and setting themselves on fire.

Had mine replaced when I got it.

But yes I don't know, undecided if I will keep the Beetle, they are not really that nice to drive.

Plus I am too old and lazy to drive a silly manual car.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
"But yes I don't know, undecided if I will keep the Beetle, they are not really that nice to drive. "

Ye daft bugger!!! (No offence intended). You told us the Beetle was a keeper because of its originality. Anyway, maybe I will make you an offer on it.
Regards,
Benz-Boy

chrisp

Conversely I saw an immaculate Beetle in cream over pale green in Centennial Park (in Sydney for those based elsewhere) today and thought, "I've never been much of a fan of Beetles but this one looks amazing!" If it makes a reappearance I'll take a photo and post it up.

And it did make another appearance:

photo.jpg

photo-1.jpg