the shape of quality

More threads by Des

BenzBoy

Grand Master
That Beetle is gorgeous - just like a gelato. ;)
Maybe today is the day for memorable cars; on my way to work today I saw:
1. A Peugeot 404 utility in dark grey.
2. A Citroen D in electric blue.
3. A Datsun Bluebird in pale blue - complete with rear spats and external sunvisor.
Each of these was in apparently fabulous condition and is memorable in a way the sad 323 I referred to can never be.
Regards,
Benz-Boy

OP
Des

Des

That's a very nice looking Beetle,

Something that I also like is the "flash kit" an option only in Australia, it's a splash of colour along the side of the car, I think it looks quite nice

DSCF1680.jpg

OP
Des

Des

On an unrelated subject, can I get some unbias opinions and thoughts on these wood slat roof racks on Beetle's?

What do you chaps think? good? bad? ugly?

beetleroofrack004.jpg

random1-1-08010.jpg

rat10-11-07008.jpg

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
Flipper must have been chasing bandits on the high seas last time I heard bongos played like that. :D Note there's not one sign of flourescent or reflective workwear or a single helmet. Who needs em anyway.:cool:

They're brilliant clips Des.
First thing, I had no idea that some VWs, let alone beetles, were made in Australia for a period of time. Never knew VW had that sort of presence in this country.

Apart from marvelling at the way they did things it's interesting to note the amount of work to put it all together and the machinery involved. I mean those presses for example, all made in Aus and specialized. Wonder where they are now but when a manufacturer like Holden for example talks about tooling up for a new car it's amazing to think about the number of dies and components that need to be manufactured to make the relevant parts.

It is a sober reminder too how "Made in Australia" is on the decline. I bought chicken wire a few weeks back to put around trees. It looked odd, dare I say cheap, it was thin and not real uniform and wrapped in that brittle plastic. Made in China it was. Not sure of the brand, it wasn't Cyclone but there was no other choice from the BIG hardware store I went to that should have more than one brand. Similary I like to buy King Gee or Yakka stuff to work in at home and the garage. To my surprise, King Gee was my last chance at buying made in Aus apparell and they too now are made in China. :( next thing I s'pose my undies will be made in China.... oh forgot, they already are.

....hey Ossie. Fret not - the 'brownies' are still locally produced....oh megawd, what next from Styria's pen !