Patrick's W220 S430

More threads by Patrick_R

Cruising

Distinguished
Thanks aussie 6.9. I'll keep it in mind. I'm leaning towards the earlier 5 speed auto (only because it is what we have in our CLK and due to the reputation it seems to have as being pretty reliable). Although I appreciate the facelift model has a better reliability reputation overall (or so google tells me?). My timing for this urge for a W220 S430 is somewhat driven by the desrire for a well enough performing V8 combined with usual Mercedes sophistication/class (and with out spending excess dollars, given I have to convince my dear wife I have some justification in getting a third Merc.!? :)) BTW we had great day out today with the Qld Merc Car Club at Amberley Air Base!

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Hallo. I have an s430 05 updated model with the 7speed gearbox. Full service history and 215000km. Light blue with grey interior. I have updated to a 2015 E400 and the S430 will be for sale soon. I am waiting for a genuine new MB audio head unit to be fitted and then I will offer it for sale. I am on 0428151830 if you would like further information.
Pictures, please

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Thanks aussie 6.9. I'll keep it in mind. I'm leaning towards the earlier 5 speed auto (only because it is what we have in our CLK and due to the reputation it seems to have as being pretty reliable). Although I appreciate the facelift model has a better reliability reputation overall (or so google tells me?). My timing for this urge for a W220 S430 is somewhat driven by the desrire for a well enough performing V8 combined with usual Mercedes sophistication/class (and with out spending excess dollars, given I have to convince my dear wife I have some justification in getting a third Merc.!? :)) BTW we had great day out today with the Qld Merc Car Club at Amberley Air Base!
Personally I would go with the update. The seven speed is a huge improvement and they sorted out a lot of issues with these cars as time progressed.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I am not totally convinced the 7 speed is a huge improvement in reliability - although it is certainly smooth and has a better choice of ratios. MB set up a special facility in Germany to recondition and then crate 7 speed boxes for use by dealers when problems in the 7 speed boxes arose in the mid to late 2000s. The 5 speed seemed to be indestructible.
The issue with a 5 speed S might (only might) be the wiring loom but most of those are now replaced under warranty so it should be safe to buy one. Look for any strange electrical occurrences and if there are none then you should be safe.
Regards,
Brian

Cruising

Distinguished
Personally I would go with the update. The seven speed is a huge improvement and they sorted out a lot of issues with these cars as time progressed.
Thanks for the comments. I guess I'm a bit shy on going the 7-speed route, simply based on what forum and internet opinions suggest about eventual problems and cost of repairs, verses the 5-speed (which seems to have a good reliability reputation; with the electrical harness connection oil leak issue being the main one that crops up. I'm aware of this issue with my CLK.) I'm still on a learning curve with Mercs, they being a relatively recent "retiree interest' :)

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Whichever way you go look for evidence of regular transmission fluid changes. The old claim of "sealed for life" was a nonsense to begin with and eventually admitted quietly by MB to clients who serviced their vehicles at authorised dealers. That is, a client would be quietly advised to have the transmission fluid fully drained overnight and refilled the following day - such advice being for every 80,000 ks or 5 years. I know from my own experience that this was the case.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Thanks for the comments. I guess I'm a bit shy on going the 7-speed route, simply based on what forum and internet opinions suggest about eventual problems and cost of repairs, verses the 5-speed (which seems to have a good reliability reputation; with the electrical harness connection oil leak issue being the main one that crops up. I'm aware of this issue with my CLK.) I'm still on a learning curve with Mercs, they being a relatively recent "retiree interest' :)
Ive owned by CLK430 for the last 10-12 years and it has never missed a beat.
Probably the nicest and most satisfying car that I have owned.IMG_2675.jpegIMG_2677.jpeg

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
It look great!
It's very tempting.
It even has my initials 😁

c107

and 111/116/124/126
My wife has an 07 E350 wagon and the transmission has never been touched to my knoweldge. Plenty of other issues with various sensors and the the balancer shaft issues, which exist outside the published range of engines. But the transmission has 195,000km on it with no issues. I also have a friend with the same year E500 also with the seven speed and similar KMs, also no issues. Granted low sample size, but i've generally heard good things about the seven speed, so long as it gets fluid changes as Brian suggests (this is also the case with the 5 speed too).

abl567

Super Moderator
I've made the decision to list my 2001 W220 S500 for sale, 218k's, I'm the second owner and have had it since 88k's. Never had any major issues. I've always had it serviced by my local mechanic in Seven Hills and have a Autel Scanner for diagnostics. For the right price it comes with the car. It's the professional one that scans all makes and has live diagnosis and key coding.
I've replaced both rear airmatic struts with Bilstein originals, and the air compressor and valve with aftermarket units. Front struts are as I bought it and I have an unused aftermarket spare to go with the car.
Besides routine maintenance it's had AC condenser replaced due to a Putty Road rock and the vacuum line from inlet manifold to brake booster.
It has 4 new goodyear tires about a month old. Rego till April next year and everything works.
There is a small ding in the boot lid that need attention and a couple of carpark door dings that should be resolved with PDR.
Interior is Orient Grey. Duco is Green Black. There is a post by me somewhere on here from when I first bought it.
I'll post some pics after giving it a bath.
I'm going to list it on carsales for $9250 but happy to take offers from the good folk here, and really do think I'm shooting for the stars with the $9k ask 🤷‍♂️

OP
Patrick_R

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Nope, I've ruled that out.
Have a look at the S500 for sale thread, I've set out my thoughts 😛👍
I must apologise. I mis read the battery bit, thought it may have been hybrid.
Small, car size batteries allow BEV’s & hybrids to start, or turn on before the traction battery takes over.
(Yes I know it’s dumb that a flat battery will render a BEV & some hybrids un drivable even if the traction battery is fully charged)

I know we are all anxious to know 🤣🤣 not Euro is very interesting.
I’m betting Korean 😍

c107

and 111/116/124/126
I must apologise. I mis read the battery bit, thought it may have been hybrid.
Small, car size batteries allow BEV’s & hybrids to start, or turn on before the traction battery takes over.
(Yes I know it’s dumb that a flat battery will render a BEV & some hybrids un drivable even if the traction battery is fully charged)

I know we are all anxious to know 🤣🤣 not Euro is very interesting.
I’m betting Korean 😍
I was thinking something like a Mustang with a V8