Patrick’s New X Trail

More threads by Patrick_R

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Gents,

When Volvo split car and truck business many years ago Volvo truck started a long association with Nissan, which we all now use as company cars.

Over the last 6 months, we have started to have Volvo cars filtering back in to the Volvo Truck group.
The President & CEO has Volvo XC90
VP’s have XC60

Soon the next level down where I reside will soon have access to XC40

Dealer Sales Managers will soon be getting V40.

Unfortunately my 2015 X Trail ST-L has gone over the max k’s (165000)
Thus required immediate replacement before XC40’s are available.
The only issues I’ve had are 2 broken windscreens.
Couldn’t fault the X Trail, but being the very first of the later body shape, I wasn’t very happy with the refinement, ride and comfort.
Loud tyre noise, loud inside, rough ride, some rattles, and the seats were never as nice as the earlier body shape X Trail I got in 2011.
So all in all, very reliable but very rough car.
Old car.

0-ACFC75-E-F49-F-448-D-BBC5-58408-B6-B8-BFC.jpg
So,
New X Trail ST-L in copper blaze arrived 3 weeks ago.
B2-A6982-A-3-C14-4-DBE-888-C-71-AE2964-F836.jpg

Boys, I tell you what, this car is light years ahead in ride, comfort & refinement over the 2015 car.
Heaps quieter, almost no road noise from the new Good Year Assurance Fuel Max tyres, super supportive but very comfy seats,
(huge difference in comfort here) smaller flat bottomed steering wheel, with much lighter steering resulting in a quicker and easier car to steer.
Funnily the 2019 plated car still has the same audio unit as in the 2015 X Trail, still with no apple car play or some of the more modern apps and features a cheaper Chinese car (read MG, LDV, Havel & Great Wall) have which are much more user friendly.

Last Monday, the car was 2 weeks old, and has just had its 1000k first service the previous Saturday.

I had a full week of training With Victorian dealer staff, and a huge training event with Linfox driver trainers on the Thursday & Friday before heading home Friday night.

On the way to the airport Monday morning, a very large cast box steel bracket jumped off a truck directly ahead of me as I just peeled off to the M7 exit from the M4 at Eastern Creek.

I hit it at 100kph, directly with the passenger side front wheel, it sent the car up on 2 wheels, then completely sideways as she hit the ground, and I just managed to stop the car from running into the scrub on the left, gents it was the biggest hit I have ever felt in a car.

As I brought her to a halt, I thought wow, that would have demolished the front of the car then underneath etc.

I exited the car went to the passenger side and I was dumbfounded to see nothing but a flat tyre.

The offending piece of steel was now somewhere in the scrub nowhere to be found.
When I removed the wheel this is what I saw.
788-CB54-B-4-DFC-46-F9-BDF8-35995-B5-C127-E.jpg

Not a single scratch or mark anywhere.
I do remember a glimpse of the bracket exiting stage left at a great rate of knots so, no damage whatsoever besides the wheel & tyre.

Then I found out this new X Trail has a space saver spare rated to 80kph, where the old model had a full size spare, but with a steel rim, and best of all it wasn’t speed limited.

I drive to regional dealers and customers all the time, so a 80k speed rated spare is completely unacceptable. I will address this with Nissan/Lease Plan on another day.

So I continued after an almost F1 speed tyre change with a stupid tiny jack, where the handle has almost zero mechanical advantage to actually jack the car up. I feel sorry for anyone older to try and jack this car up with Nissans excuse for a jack put into a car this size.

Steering wheel badly tilted to the left, but I put this down to a pizza cutter style tyre inflated to 60psi, but I’ll continue on as I couldn’t be late for my flight.

On the way, I spoke to my Lease Plan service agent and he said he would organise a new rim and tyre for me, which I can have fitted the following Saturday, as I was heading to Tamworth, Monday (yesterday)

May I say, what a really long drive at 80kph to and from the airport, luckily it didn’t happen half way to Tamworth!

Once I got into the repairer Saturday, we put the car up on the hoist to see if anything was damaged underneath, but like I saw, zero, still brand new underneath.

Sweet.
The steering wheel was still crooked, but I thought we could do the wheel alignment Monday morning before heading off.

Over the weekend, my wife Leanne kept asking if my passenger side back window was down, no, it’s all the way up, and then during some shopping I heard the front passenger side door was closing strange.

On closer investigation, the passenger side front door drops 6mm when opening, thus hitting the striker fairly hard when closing.

The back passenger door I then noticed looks like this.
B120-A401-F350-429-B-9358-94-B27073173-B.jpg

DAA2-EC32-2673-44-C9-8505-03-E27971855-E.jpg

1-E809866-D9-F5-4104-AAE1-99-C51-A62226-B.jpg
As we can see, the door completely opens up towards the roof.
This is what it looks like inside, thus Leanne’s issue with “is the back window open”
Daylight visible through the rubbers.
C11-A3-A71-B8-F5-4-F50-9546-33-E13-E0-CBF45.jpg
This morning before I took it to the panel beater I also saw this.
Drivers side rear wheel to mud flap gap 50mm
85-EAFE67-5-E7-E-4-A7-B-BFEE-F8-C2487-FB460.jpg
Passenger side rear wheel to mudflap gap 30mm

C736-E637-AA31-450-E-9-FD9-395-D16207-E8-E.jpg

Sigh
I hope they don’t write it off.

I was SO happy with my new X Trail.

I will keep you posted if the car is bent, or what else they find.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Wow Patrick!

That could have been so much worse!

OP
Patrick_R

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Spot on chaps.

I am guessing in the background, the stability control helped to pull me up straight again.

What is frightening is that this thing could have come through the windscreen.

As I train drivers to do, I must now listen to my own advice, and that is
Keep a much bigger healthier gap between me and the car/truck ahead at higher speeds.

I do estimate as I exited the M4 that I was about 20 meters behind the truck.
At 100kph, this is just not enough.

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
At least you are ok. And I understand your frustration with Jack new Camry has same almost impossible to crank and lift car even for me. Someone smaller or older would be unable to lift vehicle.

Jimb

Distinguished
Sorry about your mishap Patrick. The person who caused this went on his merry way blissfully unaware he nearly killed someone.
All the best Jim.

OP
Patrick_R

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Absolutely spot on Motec.

This is a jack I’d probably see in a Tiida or Pulsar, certainly nothing bigger than that.

Yes Jim,
He probably got to his job and went WTF ?

I may invest in a dash cam when I get my car back.
My wife and kids all have them.