Patrick's W220 S430

More threads by Patrick_R

OP
Patrick_R

Patrick_R

Grand Master
I find the owners manual way to large, confusing and keeps directing you to other parts of the manual, only to tell you not much at all.

The technical section doesn’t cover engine oil at all. Zero information if you want to do your own oil changes.
The 560 manual is a third of the size, but is more comprehensive.

The command unit is so very in depth, and the manual only really touches on it.
So I will take a look and see what I can see re your clock synci issue.

My manual doesn’t even cover the speed limiting function on the cruise control wand.

c107

and 111/116/124/126
I find the owners manual way to large, confusing and keeps directing you to other parts of the manual, only to tell you not much at all.

The technical section doesn’t cover engine oil at all. Zero information if you want to do your own oil changes.
The 560 manual is a third of the size, but is more comprehensive.

The command unit is so very in depth, and the manual only really touches on it.
So I will take a look and see what I can see re your clock synci issue.

My manual doesn’t even cover the speed limiting function on the cruise control wand.

tell me about it. My wife's W211 is similar, 1000 page owners manual that seems to say nothing at all. took me 15 minutes to work out how to change the time first time daylight savings hit after we purchased the car. I think Jay leno had a comment on modern owners manuals that rings true, they spend more time on things like 'don't drink contents of battery' than describing the actual car.

The older ones are better again. I've got a 50's one at home that contains wiring diagram, valve adjustment specs and all sorts of stuff.

Great write up on the W220. Sounds like you are enjoying the car. Are you still going to sell it on, or is it growing on you more now?

OP
Patrick_R

Patrick_R

Grand Master
You’re exactly right Bryce,

But unfortunately there are people out there who would drink the contents of the battery and then hold the car company responsible.

Some of the things I’ve heard in the truck world like this is amazing, but we could be dealing with a 200 tonne missile here not a 2 tonne car.

Yes mate, I will be moving it on, but only after I am very happy that i have prepared a car that will give the next owners a lot of joy to own.

As you know not all cars are like this, you need to start with a really well looked after car to start with, this is a fantastic car, just needs a freshen up, and a bit of love.

Styria

The Godfather
Great posts and fantastic contributions from you all. You just have to love that "Sand" colour with the light and airy upholstery. It makes such a pleasant change from dark grey and/or black. I've not looked at prices of this W220 Series for sale, but the dark coloured car certainly represents terrific value for money. Well, it's quite a sad state of affairs when a car of this calibre has such a low asking price.

Having regard to this particular thread, and the content of many threads and posts on models other than the W116 range, there seems to be quite a bit of merit to broaden the horizon of TK to incorporate some of the more recent models as well. Guys, please keep up the excellent coverage evident now. Regards Styria

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Lovely looking car enjoy it Patrick

abl567

Super Moderator
I grabbed this today from Repco for $199, down from $319.
Handy to keep an eye on these very complex cars, reset service indicator etc.
It also does live data so you can see what's happening as the engine is running.
There is Windows software to keep it up to date and graph stuff, the manual says so :p
I'll keep it at the factory in Seven Hills for any TK members that would like to borrow it to check out their newer cars and potential purchases.
I ran the codes on the S500, and got none :)

Attachments

• OBD2.jpg
    OBD2.jpg
    585.3 KB · Views: 6

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I grabbed this today from Repco for $199, down from $319.
Handy to keep an eye on these very complex cars, reset service indicator etc.
It also does live data so you can see what's happening as the engine is running.
There is Windows software to keep it up to date and graph stuff, the manual says so :p
I'll keep it at the factory in Seven Hills for any TK members that would like to borrow it to check out their newer cars and potential purchases.
I ran the codes on the S500, and got none :)

What years does it cover?

abl567

Super Moderator
2000+ it can identify the car, but anything with OBD2 or EOBD it will read with limited options.
It has 15000 manufacturers codes that will describe a problem like "misfire cyl 4" plus all the SAE PXXXX, BXXXX, CXXXX codes.
It should do the essentials for your CLK430, I'd think you'd have to select the model manually.

Styria

The Godfather

That, indeed, is a fantastic video. I just wonder if Admin. could find a spot for it in our library section. I think it's that good. I sometimes find Owner's Manuals very tedious to take in - this one shows you everything in such a simple way. Even I can follow it. Regards Styria

......and what's worse, it could even induce one to purchase a car of this ilk - if one looks at Patrick's S 430, there is a compelling motivation to purchase one. The price is ridiculous, and the value for money is outstanding.

Last edited:

abl567

Super Moderator
Choose carefully Styria and you won't regret it, they are wonderful to drive.

OP
Patrick_R

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Styria.
You just need to find one that has been mechanically looked after.
Mine is almost finished, now at the detailing stage.

You are more than welcome to take her for a spin when she is done if you like.

Very nice car to drive :D

OP
Patrick_R

Patrick_R

Grand Master
A great piece of diagnostic equipment Anthony.
Not to mention a great price.

I was able to re set my “check coolant level” through the dash, after a coolant flush.

OP
Patrick_R

Patrick_R

Grand Master
I think you are spot on Bryce.

Besides a few scuff marks that cleaned off well, the back like you say is pristine.

Door handle areas are a good place to look for grime and wear.
Worn or loose door handles inside and out can be a good give away if someone is trying to mis represent the cars odometer reading.
I would say not much use here at all that’s for sure.
(Please see bottom 2 images)

The wife and the mother in law who have both traveled extensively in the rear of the Shadow, and the 560, both say this is the nicest rear seat they have been in.
But both agree the head rests are a little on the tall side to be of much use to them as they are shorter ladies.

The wife does like the front seat of the 72 Shadow more, but after playing with the multitude of adjustments, found a pretty comfy spot, but the more firm German seats still were not as favourable to her compared to the almost lounge suite comfort of the Shadow.
However the front headrest in the 430 is far better for her compared to the almost afterthought Shadow headrest.

The exterior paint on this car is like glass, so shiny and super hard which makes getting some minor marks out very difficult, but also this is great for the minor marks, as the quality of the finish also aids in it looking fantastic when I’ve got the marks out. The super hard and glass like quality of the factory paint has certainly protected it from minor scuffs and scapes which other paints certainly would have been major scuffs and scrapes.
As the build sheet states (posted at the start of this thread) the factory paint protection is awesome.
If this is still available for anyone ordering a new car, I would say be sure to tick this box.
As I said the paint is super shiny, and the only thing required is just a light hand polish (which I have already done to the rear half of the car) to get the “roughness” of 17 years off the paint surface I can only feel under my hand.
Yep, quality paint that’s for sure.

Most of the marks are where something has scraped along the car, but the car has not suffered at all, but the other car or push bike handle has transferred their paint, rubber or plastic onto this car. Just a matter of actually getting it off this car.

As I mentioned earlier, this car was garaged it’s entire life until around 7 months ago, when it’s was relegated to the street in Birchgrove, and then to the owners son in laws house in Newington.
That being said, a lot of marks on this car are from what I would say have been caused by it being put into a tight and well used garage. But pretty much all sorted now.

The below pics are always a give away for me when inspecting a car if it has or has not been well garaged.
These are the rear door hinge areas, a place not many people look.
(Always be sure to check out door hinge areas when doing inspections for, dirt, rust, damage or non original wiring runnng between pillar & door)
These images are before I even gave them a wipe over.
All rubbers are as new.

B06671-DE-DDE1-4-DC5-9-DFF-104-E408-E3733.jpg

213-ABA3-B-48-F7-415-A-A6-F6-0151-F50-E353-B.jpg

59-EB23-D6-D3-BB-41-DE-B64-B-1373336-BA121.jpg

C003-BA0-E-BC67-4-E96-8-B99-F96-EC428-C9-C6.jpg