Patrick's W220 S430

More threads by Patrick_R

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Gents,

Here is the data card for a car I purchased on the weekend.

All looks pretty standard,
but can someone let me know what the "FW Limousine" means?

Also the
"VL front axle half left"
"VR front axle half right" are also a mystery.

IMG-5300.jpg
IMG-5301.jpg
IMG-5302.jpg
IMG-5303.jpg

OP
Patrick_R

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Re: Dora 2

I did Michel :D

I couldn’t pass it up when I saw it.
Mechanically sweet, and very well looked after, just sitting neglected for the last few months in the street, while his new ride enjoys the garage.

It has some external cosmetic issues, nothing dramatic, just some light scratches, a scrape on the bottom passenger side front lip, and a small crease just aft of the filler flap, courtesy of a golf bag I was told.

Some of the cheap and nasty side seat base trims are broken, just real poor design putting them there.

The old CD rom sat nav works a treat, and the 6 stacker in the boot works well, and she has a sub woofer hiding under the back parcel shelf I found out tonight while I stripped and cleaned the boot.

All tools, and original spare still in place, so is the first aid kit.
Air cond is great, and I will have to read the book regarding the 500 buttons on the centre stack.

Service is already completed, tyres, brake rotors and pads & coolant flush Saturday, then a good drive to bed the brakes in, say Goulburn :cool:

Thanks aussie,
It sure is a really nice car to drive, very quiet and quite responsive for only 4.3L
Likes to rev, but lacks the sheer pull of the 5.6, but she sings beautifully.

78-E89-C65-CBE8-4-EB8-BC72-FF00861-F9850.jpg

7-E69926-D-4-D2-D-4-D93-AABA-C49939557-D60.jpg

1-E42-EEAC-EBEF-48-C8-9-DCF-D1712-EBABD56.jpg

ADB61824-C4-F5-4825-A871-45-AA3-C25-DBF4.jpg

B463815-A-C29-F-46-D9-9-CBB-3-BF7-C4010-AE8.jpg

2-B37900-F-42-E1-47-BC-9005-30-E1-BB829-CEB.jpg

AE32-F674-6-CA4-4-F27-9-E28-A276-DCC4-C9-E9.jpg

Oversize

Grand Master
Re: Dora 2

Looks like a good start to a new thread!

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Looks like a great car and I imagine you got a cracker deal on it. well done.

I suspect Limousine means is a LWB car. On the actual data card the codes for the specific axles would probably be listed but on the web decoders they don't show things like key codes and axle codes. if the real data card is at the back of your owners manual or service booklet you might see that.

OP
Patrick_R

Patrick_R

Grand Master
You guys are awesome.
Saves me having to do that :D

I do apologise for adding the car to the Dora thread, by the time we got talking about the data cards, I stupidy just added the car in after Michel mentioned I had bought the car.

There were no log books with the car, a heap of service invoices but apparently the old fella misplaced the books during a house move.

I would have to look up wheelbase measurements to confirm if it is an extended wheelbase, but I don’t think it has the rear leg room like the W126 long wheelbase has.

2-F065-EFA-E470-4082-8278-8884-EE0441-F4.jpg

abl567

Super Moderator
I'd guess it's a standard wheelbase as well, the rear doors give it away.

260ebenz

Master
Hi Patrick congratulations on the new car which does look terrific!

I have driven the S350 V6 W220 S-Class very smooth ride and a very solid well built car.

Here’s to many years of happy motoring.

Cheers.

OP
Patrick_R

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Thanks Guys.

I will measure the wheelbase tomorrow.
But your you’re right mate, doors a bit short.

Thanks Tim.
Does seem quite solid, the air ride suspension is pretty good.
I’m just struggling to set up the smart keys to mine & my wife’s settings, but it has been fun learning all about it.

I have put different key rings on each key, as I was sick of adjusting everything including the radio station if I grabbed the wrong key.

I will get this to a standard that I am very happy with and move it on I think.
It will end up being a very nice car for someone.
The new steer tyres have made a huge difference already.

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Yes looking from the side profile, does look more like a SWB.
No idea what Limousine means then!

And yes looking at Wikipedia, the 220.070 is a S430 SWB and the 220.170 is a S430 LWB....

Unlike in the older cars where a 1 in the 4th position meant diesel, looks like on the w220 it means LWB.

OP
Patrick_R

Patrick_R

Grand Master
That’s great info Bryce,
The new ones sure are a little harder to work out considering there are no more “L” displayed anywhere on the car.

I did find this one on car sales while looking for pics of LWB 430’s.
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/de...-5621829?pageSource=details&id=SSE-AD-5621829

The pic of the rear door clearly shows a massive difference compared to mine.
As the rear seats are not split with a centre console thus one bench so to speak it looks as though the rear occupant can control the front seats.
This also shows a rear climate control for rear air cond, and what looks like to me a “TV” option which the command in the front has a switch for.

This actually looks like a really nice car.
It’s close to me if anyone would like a full inspection done on it.

906-CA5-F9-D45-D-4-DDF-9-AB1-3-F46759503-E4.jpg

BEAC5-BCA-6-C30-4-F6-B-BB2-E-5-BA612-DA3157.jpg

44387498-EC02-4-E20-A214-9-F9248313-ED7.jpg

Here is the other data from my car which this decal is located on the boot floor just inside the loading lip.

2-B80-A66-F-C024-4822-B56-B-20-FD550-BAC46.jpg

c107

and 111/116/124/126

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
Now that you own one, I strongly advise you, (if you haven't already done so),
to look up Google: W220 reliability:
How to Own a Ridiculously Cheap and Reliable Mercedes S-Class (Jalopnic)

Head off and deal with all of the anticipated problems that you may run up against. I have done that with ALL of my cars, since the advent of the Internet.

OP
Patrick_R

Patrick_R

Grand Master
A bit of an update re the S430.
I gave my company car to my wife for the week, and I drove the 430 all week, and we have driven it all weekend also.

The trip to my office (Group Truck Operations Of Volvo) at Minto is a 103k round trip.
The car has now clicked over 189,000 kms.
The car is averaging 8.8l/100k which I think is really good for a car of this bulk.
The air cond set to fully auto, is so good, once set, I never have to even look at it again.
The rear centre & rear side vents really pump out a good flow of air when needed.

The engine is silky smooth and quiet, right from start up.
The transmission is locked out from torque converter lock up until she is warm.
But that takes less than 5 minutes of driving.
I seem to notice the electronic throttle pedal is also less responsive when cold, I guess to not abuse the drive train until warm.

The Airmatic suspension is quite nice, especially on the rutted, corrugated & undulating roads around the new works of the Bagerys Creek airport building sites.
Quite bad bumps & holes are soaked up with ease at 80kph.
Potholes are soaked up quite well, however it does not like speed humps, no matter what speed they are traversed.

With new cross drilled rotors I fitted to the front and Bendix Euro pads I’ve fitted all round, the brakes are just outstanding, I have never felt more powerful brakes on a car.

Even at 17 years old & 189000 ks, the doors & seals are still rock solid and vault like in their operation.
All rubbers on the doors, windows and boot are still as new.
Not a huge fan of the drivers side convex rear view mirror, and even less of a fan of the multi focal passenger side mirror.
(The 560 external mirrors are THE best in the business.)

The double glazed windows are good at noise & heat insulation , however there is slight delamination happening for 2 or 3mm which is not seen when the windows are up, and hidden within the trim at the top of the doors.
No wind noise is evident at all.
Road noise is quiet, and there are almost zero mechanical noises entering the cabin.

The old tech audio unit with 10 speakers including a sub whoofer is outstanding.
I could only imagine what a newer model with DAB would sound like.

I now have a way to play all my old cassettes, and the 6 stacker in the boot works well.

The CD ROM sat nav is good, and gets you where you need to go, as long as you don’t live in a new estate or road within the last 17 years.

I thought all W220 S Class had soft closing doors, but this car does not, maybe the post September 2002 update had them?

The cream leather interior and all wood trim work has aged very well. All seat bases are very springy, and fully supportive, even after this many yrears & k’s.
The colour of all seats, door trims and carpet are still almost perfect, and will only need a clean.
All internal controls work perfectly, and the seats all work quietly as they should.

Leg room in the rear is outstanding, front legroom is very good also, but I have an issue where the under seat compartment at the front in the drivers seat, keeps rubbing against the back of my short legs.

The dash and all control areas do not show any loss of colour or deterioration of the coloured surfaces at all.
So the moulded colour finish of these areas are rock solid in holding the colour & not deteriorating at all.

Servicing the car is very easy, and an oil change with filter took less than 10 minutes. Love the oil filter access from the front of the engine right up top near the filler.
However I did remove the sump plug the night before to get all oil out as best as possible.

As already mentioned, the only down side, is some of the lower plastic seat trims and covers are embarrassingly bad.

All in all it has been an enjoyable week learning about and driving this car.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
A bit of an update re the S430.
I gave my company car to my wife for the week, and I drove the 430 all week, and we have driven it all weekend also.

The trip to my office (Group Truck Operations Of Volvo) at Minto is a 103k round trip.
The car has now clicked over 189,000 kms.
The car is averaging 8.8l/100k which I think is really good for a car of this bulk.
The air cond set to fully auto, is so good, once set, I never have to even look at it again.
The rear centre & rear side vents really pump out a good flow of air when needed.

The engine is silky smooth and quiet, right from start up.
The transmission is locked out from torque converter lock up until she is warm.
But that takes less than 5 minutes of driving.
I seem to notice the electronic throttle pedal is also less responsive when cold, I guess to not abuse the drive train until warm.

The Airmatic suspension is quite nice, especially on the rutted, corrugated & undulating roads around the new works of the Bagerys Creek airport building sites.
Quite bad bumps & holes are soaked up with ease at 80kph.
Potholes are soaked up quite well, however it does not like speed humps, no matter what speed they are traversed.

With new cross drilled rotors I fitted to the front and Bendix Euro pads I’ve fitted all round, the brakes are just outstanding, I have never felt more powerful brakes on a car.

Even at 17 years old & 189000 ks, the doors & seals are still rock solid and vault like in their operation.
All rubbers on the doors, windows and boot are still as new.
Not a huge fan of the drivers side convex rear view mirror, and even less of a fan of the multi focal passenger side mirror.
(The 560 external mirrors are THE best in the business.)

The double glazed windows are good at noise & heat insulation , however there is slight delamination happening for 2 or 3mm which is not seen when the windows are up, and hidden within the trim at the top of the doors.
No wind noise is evident at all.
Road noise is quiet, and there are almost zero mechanical noises entering the cabin.

The old tech audio unit with 10 speakers including a sub whoofer is outstanding.
I could only imagine what a newer model with DAB would sound like.

I now have a way to play all my old cassettes, and the 6 stacker in the boot works well.

The CD ROM sat nav is good, and gets you where you need to go, as long as you don’t live in a new estate or road within the last 17 years.

I thought all W220 S Class had soft closing doors, but this car does not, maybe the post September 2002 update had them?

The cream leather interior and all wood trim work has aged very well. All seat bases are very springy, and fully supportive, even after this many yrears & k’s.
The colour of all seats, door trims and carpet are still almost perfect, and will only need a clean.
All internal controls work perfectly, and the seats all work quietly as they should.

Leg room in the rear is outstanding, front legroom is very good also, but I have an issue where the under seat compartment at the front in the drivers seat, keeps rubbing against the back of my short legs.

The dash and all control areas do not show any loss of colour or deterioration of the coloured surfaces at all.
So the moulded colour finish of these areas are rock solid in holding the colour & not deteriorating at all.

Servicing the car is very easy, and an oil change with filter took less than 10 minutes. Love the oil filter access from the front of the engine right up top near the filler.
However I did remove the sump plug the night before to get all oil out as best as possible.

As already mentioned, the only down side, is some of the lower plastic seat trims and covers are embarrassingly bad.

All in all it has been an enjoyable week learning about and driving this car.

I'm jealous...green with envy

green-with-envy.jpg

But oh so happy for you :D :D

abl567

Super Moderator
Great post Patrick, a few observations after 4500k's in my S500 LWB
I've been averaging 9.5L/100k's but did see 8.4 on a sector on the M1 up the coast. Is it the extra weight and displacement or my right foot?
I had my A/C gas reclaimed and regassed, as I do with every car that comes into my possession, 950g of refrigerant! and yes, it's faultless.
I didn't know the side windows were laminated double panes, mine are aftermarket tinted and I assumed the delamination at the edges was the tint failing. Still with the Auto A/C I never seem to open the windows. In the CLK I usually drove with the drivers window down.
Mine has the Bose option audio, which I think involves upgraded amps and speakers, I usually dismiss car audio systems out of hand but gotta admit this does sound good. Even with the radio you hear subtle instruments and sounds that are otherwise masked.
The soft close doors and boot are a great novelty, I revell in just closing them so they can take over. My children however are sick of me telling them "Don't slam the door"
Leg room in the LWB is simply expansive, and Ikey loves to pester his mother by moving her seat from the back.
Yes, the plastic lower seat trims are pathetic, I'll bet a Chrysler data entry clerk designed them. My passenger seat had a rattle which I've cured as a stop gap with blue tack.
Overall so so much car for the money.

abl567

Super Moderator
One thing I've not been able to sort with mine is the time and date setting on the comand and syncing it with the dash clock.
I've tried manually setting the date in the garage with no satellite reception and it will let me but not sync with the dash clock and reverts back to a 1999 date as soon as it connects.
I also cannot find Australia in the country list? Only european countries.
The dash clock displays the correct hour but the minutes are 8 slow, this is regardless of the time set/displayed on the Comand?