Orange light dash console

More threads by 260ebenz

Tony66_au

What do you reckon Tony should I paint my nails a pink colour or red?! lol.

Just joking mate in almost 33 years of my young existence I have never had the need to paint my nails and I won't be starting now.

You are right there is nothing wrong with being Gay each to there own.

I am not not that way inclined myself.

Anyhow I will sort out the globes tomorrow and to my hands and fingers to good use and fix the problem.

Cheers.

Tony would have to check with the Mechanic in regards to which brand globes he used when he changed the L/H brake light globe.

I did not see which brand globes the Mechanic used he told me he replaced the L/H brake light globe he has replaced two globes.

Interesting the globe had to be replaced twice?

Vote of confidence thanks Tony.

Tim I sometimes wonder if you actually read what is written in answer to your questions or if just blunder on and post something inane just to see your words in print.

I realise this is a bit harsh but you need to understand that you ask a lot of questions of people and when they take the time and effort to answer you, often in great detail you brush their answers aside, ignore their input and carry on doing whatever it was you were doing in the first place.

I have highlighted in pink an example where you said you were going to tackle the issue yourself and then in the next breath you say you are going to ask your mechanic something that you would discover if you actually did the job yourself.

You then ask a question that displays the fact that you have NEVER changed a tail light globe in a Benz or any other car for that matter as it is common in some cars to use a single filament 21 watt globe as a brake light, Indicator AND reverse globe and then use a smaller 5 watt globe as a park light instead of the usual 21/5 watt combined Stop Tail globe.

Some cars will also have a 21 watt globe as an Anti collision light as well although you'd refer to this as a red fog light.

As for replacing 2 globes?

Any Mechanic worth his salt will replace both brake lights when one fails and I used to check all globes for signs of failure and if the client was female or elderly id change all the rear globes to save them a return trip in a week or so when the rest went out.

Even with Dash lights when one burnt out id replace the whole lot so the client wouldn't be back in a month with another dash light out.

Not only that but my hourly rate was $60 at that time and its far cheaper for the client if I bill $20 in globes and an hours labour instead of $3 per globe and an hours labour X 8 or however many globes I had to replace.

Either you do the job or not but don't xxxx in my pocket n tell me its raining Tim.

Last edited by a moderator:

E200K

Tim, you'll have a 5w tail-light in there. Common problem. Change it for a 10w and the warning light will go away. You can do that yourself mate.

OP
260ebenz

260ebenz

Master
Tim I sometimes wonder if you actually read what is written in answer to your questions or if just blunder on and post something inane just to see your words in print.

I realise this is a bit harsh but you need to understand that you ask a lot of questions of people and when they take the time and effort to answer you, often in great detail you brush their answers aside, ignore their input and carry on doing whatever it was you were doing in the first place.

I have highlighted in pink an example where you said you were going to tackle the issue yourself and then in the next breath you say you are going to ask your mechanic something that you would discover if you actually did the job yourself.

You then ask a question that displays the fact that you have NEVER changed a tail light globe in a Benz or any other car for that matter as it is common in some cars to use a single filament 21 watt globe as a brake light, Indicator AND reverse globe and then use a smaller 5 watt globe as a park light instead of the usual 21/5 watt combined Stop Tail globe.

Some cars will also have a 21 watt globe as an Anti collision light as well although you'd refer to this as a red fog light.

As for replacing 2 globes?

Any Mechanic worth his salt will replace both brake lights when one fails and I used to check all globes for signs of failure and if the client was female or elderly id change all the rear globes to save them a return trip in a week or so when the rest went out.

Even with Dash lights when one burnt out id replace the whole lot so the client wouldn't be back in a month with another dash light out.

Not only that but my hourly rate was $60 at that time and its far cheaper for the client if I bill $20 in globes and an hours labour instead of $3 per globe and an hours labour X 8 or however many globes I had to replace.

Either you do the job or not but don't xxxx in my pocket n tell me its raining Tim.

Rest assured Tony I am not xxxxxx in your pocket I am not like that.

I do read your posts and every other post and I appreciate each and every piece of advice.

Simon I have contacted the Auto Elec he is away on holidays.

Spoken to another Auto Elec he is going check out the globes for at 2pm today.

I do not have any spare globes it would be a smart idea on my behalf to invest in a set of spare globes.

Cheers guys.

Last edited by a moderator:

E200K

Rest assured Tony I am not pissing in your pocket I am not like that.

I do read your posts and every other post and I appreciate each and every piece of advice.

Simon I have contacted the Auto Elec he is away on holidays.

Spoken to another Auto Elec he is going check out the globes for at 2pm today.

I do not have any spare globes it would be a smart idea on my behalf to invest in a set of spare globes.

Cheers guys.

Tim, by all means go to an auto electrician. That said, you really don't need to and I think that's the point people are making (and you are continually missing).

Checking your bulbs yourself shouldn't be a problem. Think of the satisfaction when you troubleshoot and then fix the problem yourself (not to mention the money saved).

Brian has mentioned it before, but why don't you enroll on a car maintenance course of somekind?

OP
260ebenz

260ebenz

Master
Tim, by all means go to an auto electrician. That said, you really don't need to and I think that's the point people are making (and you are continually missing).

Checking your bulbs yourself shouldn't be a problem. Think of the satisfaction when you troubleshoot and then fix the problem yourself (not to mention the money saved).

Brian has mentioned it before, but why don't you enroll on a car maintenance course of somekind?

Checked the bulbs myself over the weekend I will check them again.

Good point about the car maintenance course I will look into Simon I will see if the local TAFE or Community Center has any such courses on offer.

E200K

Checked the bulbs myself over the weekend I will check them again.

Good point about the car maintenance course I will look into Simon I will see if the local TAFE or Community Center has any such courses on offer.

When you checked the bulbs did you check the wattage of the tail-lights? I think they need to be 10w, not 5w. If you have a 5w fitted in one of them, the sensor will think it's out. Also, check the license plate lights.

Did you read the owners handbook?

Styria

The Godfather
Okay guys, can we just put a stop to this ? The make-up of TK does not encourage the use of various four letter words, hence the moderation. Furthermore, Admin does not see the merit in what could be considered personal ridicule. This is not a perfect world, but let's make the most of it and be respectful to each other. PLEASE !

OP
260ebenz

260ebenz

Master
Removed globes they were Tungsgram globes 10W globes.

L/H indicator globe was loose re-fitted the globe but still no L/H indicator this must be the cause of the orange light display on the instrument bezel.

Fitted a new Tungsgram globe using a 10W turned on the indicator which is now working!

Removed the plastic cover panel inside the boot to get access to the globes cleaned out the plastic cover vacuumed out the dirt.

Recovered the panel now will have to check to see if the orange light has gone out on the instrument panel.

If light is still on well I am going to see the Auto Elec.

I have tried to the best I can.

Fingers crossed what I have done this morning has fixed the problem?

Back to my lunch break.

Cheers guys.

OP
260ebenz

260ebenz

Master
There you go, Tim, I reckon you may have fixed it.

You might well be right Simon wait and see when I take the car out again.

If light still displayed no worries I will see Auto Elec has to say he is very good with European cars.

Have seen quite a few MB's at the Auto Elec's workshop before.

Had to be careful with the plastic panel parts they are almost 23 years old.

Old plastic can break easily very brittle so I did take my time removing and refitting and cleaning the panels.

Who knows at this rate I might make a great Auto Elec no wishful thinking perhaps?

OP
260ebenz

260ebenz

Master
Good news and you can not beat good news!

I have driven the 300SE most of the day and NO more orange light displayed on the bezel.

There you go Tony fixed it myself!
:D:D:D

OP
260ebenz

260ebenz

Master
That's the spirit Tim!!! Keep up the good work. It's more satisfying if you do it yourself - and it saves money. :D
Regards,
Brian

Cheers Brian.

Did not take me long to fix it either.

New 10W globe job done.

Not bad for a Weekend Warrior hey Simon? lol.
;)

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Dont worry Tim we will get you doing your own servicing yet. Geoff ps slow down i need to catch up. :D