Restored 6.9 - For Sale in Orange

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Owned by, I think, Kalpesh who is one of our members. The car looks nice enough - as good as can be expected of pics. not quite up to Photobucket standards. The owner had referred to this restoration in an email to me back in December, but he has not been in touch since, nor has he been on the website - certainly no further contributions after his initial five post effort. Regards Styria

N.B. I am fairly certain that the seller is the member I am referring to. BTW, have got to thank Tim for spotting this one.

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars...F8FBC9730&__Nne=15&__Qpb=true&seot=1&__N=1216

Last edited:

260ebenz

Master
I don't know the car or the seller I just saw the 6.9 for sale on Carsales I see the same seller has a white 560SEL W126 for sale as well.

Cheers.

WGB

Impressions on a quick look.

No views of the engine compartment. no front spoiler, Zebrano Wood, no nets on the rear of the front seats, door cards from a velour interior and engine number 219.

219 - Sounds more like a 1976 not a 1979.

Hard to know how good it is or if the mileage is even vaguely genuine.

More information needed.

Bill

450SE

Tell him he's dreaming...

Wrong wheels in addition to everything WGB picked up on.

Given that all Shannons could muster on a Seafoam example with higher km was $9.5k (?) about six months ago, you have to wonder how the magical number of $25k was reached.

This car allegedly has only traveled 143km (on the 219 engine?) - my query would be why did the car need a full respray? If it had of been cared for, I'd argue that this would have been unnecessary.

But given the items WGB pointed out, I'd suggest there's more than meets the eye - such as an owner who either didn't know as much as they should have - or just assumed they could find a wood duck purchaser.

-bb-

Noble
Also no rear headrests, no suspension knob, wrong radio (even though the text claims it has the original one). Based on what I can see, it looks more like a bitsa 450SEL. As Bill says, more info needed.

Last edited:
OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Well, having had another, and better, look at the pics, two more items to stand out somewhat unfavourably. One, it appears that the centre console clear is badly cracked, and secondly, the rear valance under the bar is quite badly damaged.

It is those little things that count in the overall quality of a full respray - I understand that one is not going to get a perfect car, but at this asking price one would think that these glitches would have been eliminated. Regards Styria

BenzRbest

Hi The car is my brothers, what is not right with it? I will have it sorted out??

The car was bought to simply keep, however we wish to sell it. The reason for the respray was stone chips, and we wanted it to look perfect.

With the valance, is that underneath the back Mr Styria? It wasn't bought to sell, how ever with business expansion etc my brother wants to sell it to expand his business. So please, list any issues with it. The guy at Salt ash up the coast said that was definitely the correct stereo and amplifier for the car, the reason it is in Orange is there is plenty of storage here at my house with 5 car storage, he can not keep it at his house up the coast.

So please keep going and tell what else is wrong with the car.

-bb- There is a suspension knob, it is behind the steering wheel in the usual place. It is round.

So HOW MUCH is it going to sell for then? You guys are the experts? There was a dealer in Sydney who said $25K should be right, so you tell me.

The door cards? So I need to have an auto trimmer make those matching the black leather seats? We are not W116 experts like you guys.

The other thing is it needs to be sold asap because my Chemo injections for my brain disease are costing $88 per day for the next 7 Months as well, so any help would be appreciated in what needs to be done or changed on this car. Everything mechanically has been done and is beautiful, the engine and gearbox filters where done last week, replaced rear brake lines, the leather seats are perfect, the cracking of the centre console? where about is this?

Help would be appreciated instead of bagging out the car, as I said it wasn't bought to be sold, we had it resprayed, and everything tidied up so that we had a great 6.9 to share that we where happy with, but due to his business and my medical costs which are not covered it needs to be sold.

Last edited:

Parks

Hi BenzRbest,

Generally the good people on here are always respectful of other peoples cars and comment where necessary, but of course where some things dont seem right then with all due respect then comments will be made....

I will point out a couple of things I notice having restored a number of these cars and being a Motor Trimmer

*if its a 1979 model ,TO ME 79s had burwalnut timber not zebrano-which suggests its had a change somewhere along the way (someone please correct me if im wrong)

*The door trims cards dont marry up with the seats ,which suggests either the door cards have been changed or the car has had different seats installed.
*Also it looks to me and its hard to tell from pics but your seats are in fact MBtex vinyl........Even NEW leather shows certain characteristics to indicate its leather, and yours dont show that, they look far to smooth and shiny.
also your rear seats look like they are starting to collapse with the fibre pad starting to break down.

You wanted some feedback so hopefully that clears a few things up for you, and to get the money you want for it , those things would need to be looked at.
regards Brent

BenzRbest

Thanks Parks! much appreciated.

Do you mind if I take a few shots of the seats close ups, as they where told to us to be real leather not MB-Tex, I will take some close ups today.

Much appreciated again thank you sir.

On the registration papers, it has 1979. 11603622002091

Last edited:

BenzRbest

Styria is this the part your talking about the Valance?

forstyria.jpg

This I wasn't happy with and the guy is fixing that up, it did have a tow bar on it, which had been removed, once I showed the guy he said he will fix ASAP.

With the clear on the center console, which part are you talking about? on the wood work? it all seems fine and well?

Thanks

BenzRbest

Hi yes the 560SEL is my brothers, it is sold he is just waiting on the deposit, the 560 is a beautiful car. I have had to keep it down here because he doesn't have the garage space up there.

Parks

no worries mate, put some more pics of the interior up and I will let you know, but im almost 100% sure its MBtex, and also 6.9s had rear headrests and atleast should have provision for the stalks to go in..
regards Brent

BenzRbest

Hi Brent,

Here is a heap of photos on FlickR, I will do engine bay photo's, I'll try today if I have the energy.

Excuse the repeat of the same shots, I have tremmors with this brain disease I have so I took multiple shots in same places :) its bloody hard with the shakes

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60753790@N04/

That are photos of it and the other car, I think the 560 is sold.

With the 6.9 seats, I did use the kiwi leather stuff, to brighten them up, it soaked in etc, but I hope they are not MB-Tex....

Thanks mate. Where abouts are you located Brent?
Ken

WGB

Hi BenzRBest,

You list the car as a 1979 but the engine number is 219 - this would make it a very early car 75/76 and in the same early series as TJ450's blue car in Western Australia.

The other features like the Zebrano wood were also fitted to the early cars.

I assume your car was a Euro with a velour interior and someone has changed the seats as I think all 6.9's had rear headrests but TJ450 could clarify that point.

I am quite happy to accept that you may have a good car but in this forum your claims and asking price will be openly discussed as most of us have spent a lot of time and effort getting our cars into the condition they are in.

Bill

abl567

Super Moderator
I think you are right Parks
"Hi bb, yeah on the 6.9 theres a plain flat panel at the top of the rear seat, whereas the standard 116 seats the pleats wrap all the way around, and theres slightly more work to make the 6.9 one.
regards Brent"

The back seat pics clearly show the pleats wrapping around
Ant

BenzRbest

Hi Thanks Bill much appreciated.

KenM

Hard to tell from the pics but is the centre armrest for the front seats missing?

WGB is right with the engine number, 219 makes it a 1975 car; to round out

your advertisement it may pay to post details from the data card, this would

clarify the interior code etc. Also as others have said pics of the engine bay are

a must.

Cheers,

BenzRbest

Thanks Ken M, I Will do the Engine bay photos tomorrow afternoon for sure, I didn't get a chance today. Thank you for your help everyone! Much appreciated

-bb-

Noble
-bb- There is a suspension knob, it is behind the steering wheel in the usual place. It is round.

I stand corrected - apologies. Based on the information previously available, it did not seem to be a 6.9.

Last edited: