Restored 6.9 - For Sale in Orange

More threads by Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi BenzRBest, I guess some of the comments must be rather disheartening, but when a 6.9 is listed at an extremely high advertised price, it will naturally attract attention and, dare I say it, critical examination. You ask me what the car is worth, and the simple answer is what a prospective buyer is prepared to pay your brother for the car. Mind you, $25K. in this climate, and given Mercedes Benz prices on just about all models, will be excessive.

You may get away with some shortcomings clearly evident on the car by a buyer that is not familiar with 6.9s., and they may not be aware as to what's right, and what's wrong. Unfortunately, many of us know and have offered their opinions. Clearly, the absence of the rear headrests, and the extent of the pleats wrapping all the way round is a definite 'minus'. In my view, some of the upholstery clearly seems to have come from an SE model. All SELs had rear headrests. Just as an aside, your boot lid badge (450SEL) is missing.

Another drawback concerns the door trim panels - they're again off another car. At least, that appears to be the case. The radio, contrary to someone's opinion, may well be the appropriate unit, but I am not sure. Usually that model is associated with the earlier CH. 108 and Ch. 109 cars but with your car being a very early model, MB may have fitted to older type as shown in your brother's car. Anyway, that's about it - I'll just say good luck with the sale of the car. Regards Styria

hoddo

Connoisseur
Hi Benzrbest, firstly welcome to the forum and I do hope the sale of your car goes well. I noticed in your first post you refer to the guy at saltash.. I am guessing it could be our friend Peter Hersheid? He is a very 'interesting' character and if he has been involved in any restoration /repairs to your car it may explain alot.

BenzRbest

Hi Hoddo,

Thank you mate. Yes I believe seats etc RE Peter Salt Ash, the Velour ones where worn. Ive been finding out a few things.

I'll investigate more myself and get some more photos done, Im a bit tired, I had to run down to Canberra and Back this morning only 6 hours there and back but this medication takes it out of me.

Thanks guys!

BenzRbest

Ive added a photo of the Engine bay, not with the good sony camera with my BlackBerry, and uploaded onto carsales. Tomorrow once sony is charged up I will do engine bay, and also maybe a little video for youtube. Ive asked my brother to find out about these seats from the Peter at Salt Ash, he was told they where for the car or something, Lets just say he isn't happy ( my brother )

Anyway, I will also get the door panels sorted this week ASAP actually to match the seats, and what ever else needs doing pending my energy.

TJ 450

I had to chime in on this;

6.9s of this vintage had pleats all the way to the parcel shelf, the flat panel was a later addition. Head restraints were standard all round and wood was only zebrano. On such an early car, console trim may be black vinyl such as with my car.

Tim

BenzRbest

Hi Tim,
Thanks, so it's definately a 1975, most likely brought into the country in 1979 as the registration papers say 1979? I noticed when looking at other 6.9's around the place near the controls heater controls etc, there is no timber, and it looks as though definitely there was no timber there, the timber looks totally untouched, maybe it had been done up at some stage.

So being the 75 model, the motor in it is it the higher HP motor without all the emission stuff? Ive had many cars WRX's and Skylines etc when I was yonger and this car goes like nothing else ive driven, as I am not an expert, I had heard there where a higher and lower HP 6.9 motor?

I love this car to bits and so does my brother, it wouldn't be forsale except my medication costs $88 per day and isn't covered by the government etc as it hasn't had the approval for PBS system, and its 7 to 8 months at $88 per day :( but, at least it's working I would be dead without it by now.

Thanks Tim.

TJ 450

Yep, that would be correct. Mine was built around July 1976, but the rego papers say 1978, and it has a special engine and transmission modified to Australian specs that appears to have been modified after the car was built.

There are a lot of exceptions with MB, so you can never say never.

If yours doesn't have a compliance plate and you have the smaller radiator and separate oil cooler, then it is likely the high output Euro version, which is good.

Tim

BenzRbest

Thanks Tim! much appreciated. I love how it goes :) beautiful power!

WGB

Hi Benzrbest - do you know the symbolism represented in the Masonic tracing board you are using as an avatar or is it just a pretty picture.

Bill

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
It would appear that the price on the car has been reduced to $19,000 - info compliments Tim and Carsales. Regards Styria

BenzRbest

Hi Guys,

My brother and I do not want to sell this 6.9, but it's becoming urgent because of my health and medication costs, what do you recommend? It needs to be sold.

Parks

Hi mate, sorry its taken a while for me to get back to you.......
After looking at your pics on flickr im sorry to say but im a 100% certain your seats are MBtex, If you look at your 126 seats, see how they have stress lines and your seats on the 116 dont show any signs of ageing, and as I said in an earlier post your rear seats are starting to collapse aswell.......
I dont like saying what a car is worth and I could be wrong but I think 10-12k, considering a leather interior will need to be found and door trims need to be changed and seats need to be repacked......
regards Brent

BenzRbest

Thanks Brent, appreciated mate!

Oversize

Grand Master
After looking at the current pics this looks like a Euro 6.9 with the high compression engine. I could stand corrected, but is it possible that a 6.9 could be optioned without rear headrests, or seat pocket nets? My Euro had the rear seatbelt retractors deleted, which to me seems ludicrous! The black interior looks nice, but photos can be deceiving. The engine looks very clean. If I was paying what's being asked, I'd certainly expect the paint & panels to be close to flawless. Books n history a must. I'm not a big fan of the wheels, but that's a very personal choice. Certainly worth a closer inspection in person.

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Mark, noble sentiments on your part, but there seems enough "old" information about that would indicate a change of upholstery. Personally I don't like the idea of "knocking" someone's offerings, and I just hope that BenzRBest can sell the car for a good price. I know how much work is involved in repainting a car, and generally tidy it up, but over-capitalization is often the price paid when undertaking a project of this magnitude. I have not yet looked at the photo that shows the engine bay, but all 'early' 6.9s such as this one were fitted with the high compression engine. I don't think that proper "Australian" were available prior to 1977. I have heard it said that early 6.s were prone to overheating, which may explain the change of water pump and housing from the early look alike 6.3 version to the later square bodied shape of the housing and the water manifold that fits between pump and the front of the engine block. Regards Styria

Last edited:
OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
The 6.9 has the same radiator frontal area as the 280, there was no way of making it bigger.

Hi David, I am relating to the difference between the early and late model water pumps that were fitted to 6.9s. In addition, the two types of pumps require a different housing that's located between water pump body and engine block. Additionally, the later model square bodied pumps had different impeller designs. The way I see it, the later model pump would appear to have greater pumping capacity on account of the difference in impeller design. Regards Styria

BenzRbest

Hi,

I just want to thank everyone for help and support, I am looking forward too meeting all of you guys when you next have an event. I ended up putting the car on ebay, it is going very well. I set a 10 Day Auction to give plenty of time, and it's going up very quickly.

Thanks Guys!