Orange light dash console

More threads by 260ebenz

Tony66_au

BTW I also gently washed the gaskets clean removing a fair bit of dirt and dust sludge and they are once again serviceable although I am tempted to buy some high density latex foam sheet and re-cut some new gaskets with a scalpel.

OP
260ebenz

260ebenz

Master
Good afternoon,

Bad news orange light is displayed on the instrument bezel again can not work out why?

Go and see my Auto Elec tomorrow see what he has to say.

As you I have checked globes but still orange light is on.

Could a fuse or wire be loose somewhere??

Other than that the 300SE is driving purrrrfect!
:D

E200K

Good afternoon,

Bad news orange light is displayed on the instrument bezel again can not work out why?

Go and see my Auto Elec tomorrow see what he has to say.

As you I have checked globes but still orange light is on.

Could a fuse or wire be loose somewhere??

Other than that the 300SE is driving purrrrfect!
:D

Tim, which warning light is it that's displayed?

OP
260ebenz

260ebenz

Master
Tim, which warning light is it that's displayed?

Hi Simon,

Orange globe light displayed on the instrument bezel.

Your 300SE would have the same and your MB Manual should tell you.

You and I would both have the same MB Owners Manual for our 300SE.

I can not work out why the orange light is being displayed?

Off to the Auto Elec's tomorrow.

Styria

The Godfather
Sometimes it is best to ignore inconsequential warning lights. On our Holden Statesman, you occasionally get the oil light to come on - turn off engine, and re-start, and it's disappeared. Regards Styria

OP
260ebenz

260ebenz

Master
Styria I hope you do not mind if I use the photo of your instrument panel in your 420 to demonstrate something?

Looking at the photo of the instrument panel for the 420 my 300SE has the same panel.

See from the photo below the globe with exclamination mark ! that is the light that is displayed in the 300SE.

It is between the washer fluid and ABS display panel.

I hope I have explained myself clearly?

Mercedes420SEL009.jpg

E200K

Tim, when a light is on, current passes through a resistor creating the voltage that the sensor measures. If the voltage is below a certain level, then the sensor thinks the light is not working. Hence, the warning light turns on. Check the tail-lights and make sure they are 10w and not 5w.

OP
260ebenz

260ebenz

Master
Tim, when a light is on, current passes through a resistor creating the voltage that the sensor measures. If the voltage is below a certain level, then the sensor thinks the light is not working. Hence, the warning light turns on. Check the tail-lights and make sure they are 10w and not 5w.

Thanks Simon.

Did not think to check the globes to see if they were 10w or 5w I will check tomorrow to dark outside now.

If I can not resolve this myself I will go and see the Auto Elec.

Orange warning light has only come on in the last two days.

Cheers.

Styria

The Godfather
On my car, that light goes out when the lights are turned off. It is on at the moment, but I suspect that the foglights on the 420 are not working. Again I say, don't be unduly worried. The light could go out anytime. Regards Styria

OP
260ebenz

260ebenz

Master
On my car, that light goes out when the lights are turned off. It is on at the moment, but I suspect that the foglights on the 420 are not working. Again I say, don't be unduly worried. The light could go out anytime. Regards Styria

Turn the ignition on lights are displayed once engine is running warning lights go off.

Except at the moment for the orange globe warning light it stays on.

Anyhow check the globes tomorrow and see what the Auto Elec has to say.

No worries life goes on no need to stress.

Cheers guys.

Tony66_au

Tim, Orange lights are a courtesy light more than a warning light.

If the light was red id say see a mechanic but its not red, it's orange.

So, it isn't serious and all your external lamps work.

Considering an Auto elec works for roughly $80 an hour and a new set of incandescent globes costs $20 wouldn't you be better off all round getting your hands dirty and replacing every single external non Halogen globe first?

You know... Brake lights, Park lights, Day Lights, Indicators, Numberplate lights, fog lights etc?

Access instructions are in the owners manual as well as locations and even pictograms showing how to im betting.

It is in fact so easy that my Wife replaced every incandescent globe in her car and without my help and her car is a station wagon in which the rear globes are a bugger to access.

Unless of course your fingers are painted on.

My final suggestion is that perhaps the relay module that senses the current draw needs removal and contact cleaning or replacement and I believe from memory this is located conveniently in the fuse box with the other relays.

Your owners manual will also be of great help with the location of this item which you can clean/repair or replace.

Tony66_au

Further to your dilemma have you or your mechanic replaced any globes recently?

And is there any moisture in the lights at all?

Any deviation from the specified wattage will throw an error and cheap nasty globes cause issues for Euro cars.

Styria

The Godfather
..........Tony, some sound advice - almost as good as my suggestion ! :D Regards Styria

OP
260ebenz

260ebenz

Master
Further to your dilemma have you or your mechanic replaced any globes recently?

And is there any moisture in the lights at all?

Any deviation from the specified wattage will throw an error and cheap nasty globes cause issues for Euro cars.

Mechanic has replaced two globes for the R/H brake light.

As for moisture in the lights I would think not will have to check.

Might be the replacement globes?

NO Tony my fingers are not painted on not my cup of tea mate!

Thanks for your advice.

Tony66_au

"Are your fingers painted on" is a colloquial term suggesting that you are not using your hands or fingers to do a job or task Tim.

I am not for a moment suggesting you paint your nails or are gay not that there is anything wrong with being gay is there Tim?

Tony66_au

..........Tony, some sound advice - almost as good as my suggestion ! :D Regards Styria

Sorry Styria, I missed your post for some reason!

Tim has admitted to some globe changes however although he denies his fingers are painted on and will be showing his manliness by not bothering the poor old Auto lekky and investigating this minor issue himself it seems.

And I am sure he has the complete support and the many years of globe changing experience this forum holds at his disposal should he run into any issues.

Id suggest perhaps a new thread with pictures as a welcome addition to TK's Technical library may also be in order here?

Cheers,
Tony

OP
260ebenz

260ebenz

Master
"Are your fingers painted on" is a colloquial term suggesting that you are not using your hands or fingers to do a job or task Tim.

I am not for a moment suggesting you paint your nails or are gay not that there is anything wrong with being gay is there Tim?

What do you reckon Tony should I paint my nails a pink colour or red?! lol.

Just joking mate in almost 33 years of my young existence I have never had the need to paint my nails and I won't be starting now.

You are right there is nothing wrong with being Gay each to there own.

I am not not that way inclined myself.

Anyhow I will sort out the globes tomorrow and to my hands and fingers to good use and fix the problem.

Cheers.

Tony66_au

Good lad, Top marks that boy!

Probably worth noting the globe brands and letting us know, Even Narva brand globes play up in Mercedes and Volvo's.

OP
260ebenz

260ebenz

Master
Good lad, Top marks that boy!

Probably worth noting the globe brands and letting us know, Even Narva brand globes play up in Mercedes and Volvo's.

Tony would have to check with the Mechanic in regards to which brand globes he used when he changed the L/H brake light globe.

I did not see which brand globes the Mechanic used he told me he replaced the L/H brake light globe he has replaced two globes.

Interesting the globe had to be replaced twice?

Tony66_au

Tony would have to check with the Mechanic in regards to which brand globes he used when he changed the L/H brake light globe.

I did not see which brand globes the Mechanic used he told me he replaced the L/H brake light globe he has replaced two globes.

Interesting the globe had to be replaced twice?

God give me STRENGTH!

Auto electrician in the morning Tim?