New paint job!

More threads by BenzLover

OP
BenzLover

BenzLover

Benz Whisperer
It's looking good.
But now I guess it is for sale before you move?
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Yes it will be right after we return from our last road trip to southern California and Mexico:(

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Benz Lover, thanks for a great set of pics. - very informative and it makes me realize all over again just how much work is involved in preparation prior to painting.

One procedure of the job seems to be missing although, more than likely, I may have missed it. It relates to primer or hi-fill primer - do you know if that was applied prior to painting ? As I said, I just couldn't find that.

You may also be interested in some pics. of paintwork preparation on my Astral Silver 116 (6.9). It too suffered at the hands of some low life (prior to my acquiring the car) who badly scratched the boot lid and sides of the car. Not only that, but it also copped hail damage at another time, again in the hands of the previous owner.

We are now in the process of rectifying and repairing the body, as well as cutting out rust wherever necessary.

ChrisPearsonAstralSilver69015.jpg

ChrisPearsonAstralSilver69014.jpg

We suspected that there would be rust in areas not very obvious, and so it turned out. There was some in the lower left hand corner of the rear valance, and we also had to cut out quite a bit of rust in the lower part of the opening for the tail light assembly. Plus more in both bottom corners of the artea normally hidden by the boot rubber and a fairly substantial rust spot in the top right hand corner of, again, where the rubber fits. That took a number of hours to cut out and fashion new metal that had to be welded in and dressed.

ChrisPearsonAstralSilver69016.jpg

ChrisPearsonAstralSilver69018.jpg

ChrisPearsonAstralSilver69019.jpg

We'll post more pictures once further progress is made. More than likely, will commence another thread. Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Styria,

The Astral Silver 6.9 seems to be coming along nicely.

Well done!

OP
BenzLover

BenzLover

Benz Whisperer
Hi Benz Lover, thanks for a great set of pics. - very informative and it makes me realize all over again just how much work is involved in preparation prior to painting.

One procedure of the job seems to be missing although, more than likely, I may have missed it. It relates to primer or hi-fill primer - do you know if that was applied prior to painting ? As I said, I just couldn't find that.

You may also be interested in some pics. of paintwork preparation on my Astral Silver 116 (6.9). It too suffered at the hands of some low life (prior to my acquiring the car) who badly scratched the boot lid and sides of the car. Not only that, but it also copped hail damage at another time, again in the hands of the previous owner.

We are now in the process of rectifying and repairing the body, as well as cutting out rust wherever necessary.

ChrisPearsonAstralSilver69015.jpg

ChrisPearsonAstralSilver69014.jpg

We suspected that there would be rust in areas not very obvious, and so it turned out. There was some in the lower left hand corner of the rear valance, and we also had to cut out quite a bit of rust in the lower part of the opening for the tail light assembly. Plus more in both bottom corners of the artea normally hidden by the boot rubber and a fairly substantial rust spot in the top right hand corner of, again, where the rubber fits. That took a number of hours to cut out and fashion new metal that had to be welded in and dressed.

ChrisPearsonAstralSilver69016.jpg

ChrisPearsonAstralSilver69018.jpg

ChrisPearsonAstralSilver69019.jpg

We'll post more pictures once further progress is made. More than likely, will commence another thread. Regards Styria

Hi styria.
Yes the primer was applied but I did not include them in the set.That 116 is coming along just nice!
Cheers
Big Dan