Paint or Wrap ?

More threads by sean sherry

sean sherry

Master
My new Toy is a 1974 Montesa Trials Bike . In restored condition with the Tank in a nice Green Irish colour But there is a 50 cent piece size bubble on the side reminiscent of an Air bubble in Vinyl Wrapping. Hard to tell the difference. Turned out to be paint, an older Porsche Colour , via a magic machine at Porsche recommended Painter in Hotham St. Artarmon. The device reads and identifies giving the paint Code. They supplied free of charge a generous touch up sample.
Moral to story is that I learnt, a Vinyl Wrap for a car is around $5000 or get a re- Paint at 3..4 ..5 times that. A lower cost wrapping of:) the bike tank would have been problematic because of the different curves in the shape.

Oversize

Grand Master
I don't know why resprays are apparently so costly ATM. They still do a crap job but now want to charge 4 times what it would've cost 10 years ago! :confused::eek::mad:

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Could not agree more Mark . few years ago I was quoted $15,000 to paint an MGA A small Convertible Car ( No roof ) with no chrome and in quite good condition. No thanks !
I cut it back with a reasonable result and had no problem selling it.
Another quote of $1,500 to paint a Pearl White Subaru front Bumper , was done for $300 by another quality Shop, First guy was full of """""" we need to match the Bonnet etc., etc. in :eek:case it doesn't match.

Styria

The Godfather
Unfortunately, there is a lot of profiteering going on - if they can get away with it or if they think or know that one has no alternative.....what's the old saying ? Come in spinner. It can be a debilitating exercise, and you really have to stop yourself from expressing anything other than controlled aggression.

Sean, what are you doing with a Montesa Trials Bike ? I have some very fond, but also trying memories of owning several Montesa Motocrossers, such as Cappra GP 4 speed, the same with 5 speed (Short Circuit), a 250H6 Enduro Bike and one last jewel that I sold two years ago for $6000.00. It was a specially assembled 1973 VR (Vehkonen Replica) that had been fitted with a very special 1969 360 Cappra engine by Lyall O'Brien, the Montesa Importer.

In the hands of his son Gary, in 1973 it secured the Grand National, the Laurie Boulter Trophy and the 500cc Australian Short Circuit title. It had specially made Stainless Conrods that gave an extra 2000rpm (to 8) and it went like "stink". In 1973, those conrods cost $120.00 each. That was big money then. I changed the bike to Enduro specifications and even registered it for road use. The boys in Blue picked me up a couple of times, but I was 'clean' and they let me go. Had a couple of frightening experiences with that bike though. Photos to follow in due course. Regards Styria

Last edited:
OP
S

sean sherry

Master
My new Toy Michael Restored to as it left the Factory
Montesa 247t Trials Bike ,5 speed 9.5 Comp. t is for Trial BIke, with Factory lighting and larger Seat.

Attachments

• IMG_3444.jpg
    IMG_3444.jpg
    399.2 KB · Views: 6

Styria

The Godfather
Sean, that's a beautiful little unit, but what on earth are you going to do with it ? The colour of green is unusual, but then again if I remember correctly, there were some versions of the King Scorpion (Montesa yes!) with a very similar green colour scheme. Anyway, getting back to the nitty gritty - I was under the impression that all Montesa Cotas were Red in colour - is yours a Cota ?

So Sean, have you ever ridden it lately, or better still, do you keep it as a toy and showroom piece in the living room, or perhaps even in the bedroom ?:D You wouldn't be the first. When I first bought the 360 Cappra, it was quite happy to live in the kitchen. BTW, the 250 4 speed and 5 speed (Short Circuit) Cappra ran a compression ration of about 12 or 13:1, with no decompression lever. Kickstarting had to be a carefully executed art - kick, kick, kick about six or seven times - nothing. But then when that engine was ready to fire, the kickback was something else to behold. You never wore thongs, sandshoes or sneakers as the kicklever could break your foot. It was always Motocross Boots only. I must dig up more photos. Regards Styria

N.B. Sean, I have just opened up the link and it has brought up the bike in a much larger version. What a honey, and in such nice condition. Looking at that kick start lever - very familiar plus the large chrome slotted fastening screw - typically Montesa. Just so nice.

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
Benz Boy, Shamrock Green applied in Spain. It is a nice colour, and well suited to a Trials Bike like this Montesa. You into bikes ? Electric by chance ? I've thought about one, and even committed myself to a fellow in Alexandria that was selling one to bring it to South Wenty and I would take it off his hands. Alas, it became a haggle over $100.00 (less for him!) and he pulled the plug.

There is a fair bit to know about Electric Bikes, primarily location of the Electric Motor - front hub, rear hub, centre propulsion and, of course, size of battery. I'll be interested what you may eventually come up with. Regards Styria

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Michael, the Colour is not the Std Red but from a seventies Porsche.
Parts are available from Spain, almost everything. The Tool Box is new and the Stainless Steel Chain Guard I got from Germany. A decompression Valve Kit from the USA. Other wise the Bike was complete and Restored. Also the Carb. was updated to a Mikuni.