How to read tyre wear

More threads by 260ebenz

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
The tires on my car show none of these signs, in fact, they don't even show much sign of wear at all.
They DO however, need replacement, and they have lost a lot of grip.
Why?
They are too old.

What is the maximum legal length of time that a tire can be used on a car?

I think that this may be a problem for a lot of classic car owners, where the car is driven, but not often enough to wear the tires out.

OP
260ebenz

260ebenz

Master
Without stating the obvious well all know tyres are made out of rubber NO suprises there!

Rubber tyres can perish due to lack of use just standing am I correct in saying?

Helmet

Connoisseur
Without stating the obvious well all know tyres are made out of rubber NO suprises there!

Rubber tyres can perish due to lack of use just standing am I correct in saying?

Yes they are made of Rubber :)
And yes they will perish with age, I've heard talk about a 6 year life, but this was from a tyre retailer :rolleyes:

Oversize

Grand Master
Between 5-6 years old is when you should look at changing your tyres. After that and they'll be hard and grip will be significantly affected. In Victoria there's no requirement to have tyres changed after a certain year but if they're showing significant age cracks then they must be replaced (apparent defects that may make it unsafe - RSVR 2009).

Often these types of cracks don't appear too bad until the tyre is deflated, when they can show up as huge splits in the sidewalls... :eek:

Oversize

Grand Master
If your FEA and tyre pressures are correct and yet your tyres still squeal around corners, have them replaced (irrespective of tread depth)

Oversize

Grand Master
And yes Tim if you don't drive your car regularly, the tyres can develop flat-spots. Worse still if the pressures are low