Tyre Age

More threads by Oversize

mrkozzy

Never finished
Just Google "Aged Tyres" or "Aged Tires" and you'll be surprised at the miriad of information on the topic.

One news report in particular I found interesting some time ago.

The link is;

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4826897

Its an ABC news America story from long ago.

I now check the manufacture dates on all tyres I buy , before they're fitted making sure the dealer knows I want tyres under 12 months old always!
I will be replacing the Michelins on my 116 shortly because they are 11 years old, not because of wear but because of age.

Styria

The Godfather
Just Google "Aged Tyres" or "Aged Tires" and you'll be surprised at the miriad of information on the topic.

One news report in particular I found interesting some time ago.

The link is;

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4826897

Its an ABC news America story from long ago.

I now check the manufacture dates on all tyres I buy , before they're fitted making sure the dealer knows I want tyres under 12 months old always!
I will be replacing the Michelins on my 116 shortly because they are 11 years old, not because of wear but because of age.

.....surely they'd be alright in the wet - should have a bit of fun in our lives. Have you yet decided on what brand replacement tyres ? Regards Styria

mrkozzy

Never finished
re; .....surely they'd be alright in the wet - should have a bit of fun in our lives. Have you yet decided on what brand replacement tyres ? Regards Styria

actually they are in great nic, or at least seem to be. Its just that the news is not good on any old tyres. These ones have travelled 26,000 k's in the 11 years since they were fitted, so they are definitely underused.
As far as replacing them, I'd love to put Michelin again but am afraid the cost might be a bit prohibitive, considering the car will never do daily driving again and whatever I put will need to be changed in 6 to 7 years anyway. This year and last I covered less than 5000 k's. Admittedly this will increase slightly now that most of my "reno" work is completed.

Any tyre suggestions?

I was considering getting some Bundts also...........maybe

Be interested in any input and ideas.

mrkozzy

Never finished
Thought I'd update the topic for no other reason, than to finish the 'story'

Been needing 205/70/14 for the Benz for ages.
Surprising how (locally) little is available, .......scarce and getting scarcer!
Ended up with Kankook? (made in Korea) and had them fitted today.
Suffice to say, the new tyre ride is superb.
They aint Michelin, but certainly 200% better than the 12+ year old tyres I was running on. (Michelin)
I asked for the "freshest" stock and ended up with 4612 date markings on the casing. (manufactured about early November 2012)
I'm more than happy with that.
And the best part.......only $119 each fitted.

Last edited:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Thought I'd update the topic for no other reason, than to finish the 'story'

Been needing 205/70/14 for the Benz for ages.
Surprising how (locally) little is available, .......scarce and getting scarcer!
Ended up with Kankook (made in Korea) and had them fitted today.
Suffice to say, the new tyre ride is superb.
They aint Michelin, but certainly 200% better than the 12+ year old tyres I was running on. (Michelin)
I asked for the "freshest" stock and ended up with 4612 date markings on the casing. (manufactured about early November 2012)
I'm more than happy with that.
And the best part.......only $119 each fitted.

You mean Hankook... ;)
A good choice of tyres in terms of good value and decent ride.

I have used Maxxis (China) on the 690SEL (and have had no complaints) before I switched from the Bundts to the big wheels and some Italian tyres.

How about a few pics? :D

WiSeGuYY

My big BENZ the w126 came with Continental tyres and never change the brand for the last 23 years and i'm fond of them , but the times come to complain from the increasing cost of that brand , but for sitting duck i'm happy that it never require a new set.
as MICHEL said the HANKOOK is famous world brand in the markets and i guess it gain reputation from being good.

for my BLU w116 i bought an ITALIAN set MARINGONI and that cause the car will be also in no use condition and the brand is totally new for me at least but i am quit hapopy.

my DAILY DRIVER the BMW X3 came with MECHLIN tyres and they are also good had no complain .

REGARDS
TAREK

260ebenz

Master
Good morning,

mrkozzy well done the Hankook's look like a good buy.

How much did the Hankook's cost you each if you do not mind me asking?

Last edited:

mrkozzy

Never finished
No problem.

$119 each tyre fitted and balanced.

Paid $542 for the set of 4 including front wheel alignment.

JAXquickfit Tyres. Australia wide.

quite a good price for a half decent tyre (in my book).
I think the old Michelin XVS were $200 + over 10 years ago, but don't quote me..
I'm happy :):)

260ebenz

Master
No problem.

$119 each tyre fitted and balanced.

Paid $542 for the set of 4 including front wheel alignment.

JAXquickfit Tyres. Australia wide.

quite a good price for a half decent tyre (in my book).
I think the old Michelin XVS were $200 + over 10 years ago, but don't quote me..
I'm happy :):)

Good prices mrkozzy.

Very good service at Jaxquickfit tyres would you agree mrkozzy?

mrkozzy

Never finished
Exactly what I'd expect from a company that knows what they are doing.
Service was spot on and so was the whole experience.
Hence I'm taking the trouble to give them a good write up.
can recommend :)

260ebenz

Master
Afternoon mrkozzy,

Excellent and Jax have my nod of approval for price and service.

I see Bridgestone have buy 3 Bridgestone tyres and the 4th tyre is free.

Also Bob Jane T-Mart have the same deal on offer for tyres.

No other tyre supplier I spoke could match the price for the 8 Continentals we bought.