How long have you owned your 6.9 for?

More threads by SEL_69L

Styria

The Godfather
Without a doubt, "Blattenhauser" is one of the finest 6.9s you're likely to find anywhere. When advertised by the previous owner, it was billed "as the best 6.9 in Australia", and that remark wasn't all that far off the mark. I know that David absolutely cherishes his car, and he has left no stone unturned in keeping it in almost perfect condition. I think that David has accurately described it as a '2' condition car - concours is almost impossible to attain, especially not with a 6.9, and/or any car that is thirty years in age unless: ONE UNDERTAKES A COMPLETE REBUILD, WITH ENGINE AND ALL MECHANICALS OUT, RENEWAL OF ALL SUSPENSION COMPONENTS ETC. ETC.

Unfortunately, age has not been kind to just about any 6.9 or 116 for that matter - you only have to compare the under bonnet appearance of a 116 with that of an 'S' Class of say 1990s vintage - the newer models just seem to hold their gloss and shine just so much better. Granted they are newer by a good number of years, but still ..........

I also think back talking to David (6.9 forever) at length in relation to a somewhat sad and neglected 6.9 that he had found at Leichhardt - apparently the sort of 6.9 that had been neglected completely. Even if he had spent an inordinate amount of money, that car would probably have never been as good as the one he owns now. Regards Styria

Ricord

Nice post & info thanks Styria, I know what you mean about age not being very kind, time will tell on newer models though... You never know how long they will hold up looking down the line.

aussie 6.9

Noble
Can we revive this thread ? I was thinking of buying a 6.9 in the 90s and looked at the car that became gleaming beauty that was for sale on Parramatta Rd. Ended up buying my car from Emu plains near Penrith. One owner car with 170k on it and I have been very happy with it. Not concours but I try to keep it in good driving condition. Now showing 285k. Regards Mark

-bb-

Noble
This thread brings back some memories. After I posted the above I owned my 6.9 for another 6 and a half years. I consigned it with a dealer however they ultimately ended up buying it from me, and in turn sold it to a buyer in Melbourne.