Long trip

More threads by sean sherry

sean sherry

Master
Just back from Inverell to visit their very excellent Transport Museum a collection of Cars and Motor Cycles dating back to the 1900s.
WWW.nationaltransportmuseum.info:confused:

The Brakes on our 204 C Class are firm and fine until a high speed braking is called for.
Then the pedal feels soft and the Braking is not what i would expect.
OK again, say around 100/ 110. Roads were very lightly Trafficked , so quite a few bursts to 140 and beyond were possible. In the S position acceleration was instant. ( I'm still sold on Turbos ) I run European Dust free Pads all round.
I will have the Brakes bleed to ensure that there is no Air in the system. Other than that, maybe I should go back to Mercedes Black Dust Pads.

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
No Brain, I have not been that brave ! Am I right to assume you are suggesting that I did not push hard enough on the pedal. Quite possible. I guess with very firm pressure things start to give , The Fire wall and the rubber Brake Hoses swell etc, resulting in a lower pedal and softer feel. Point taken .

P.S I understand that the extra Boost is a timed issue, that is it is dependant upon the speed of your foot leaving the accelerator and hitting the Brake pedal
Hard !!

When I wrote off my Golf 2 years ago, and thinking back , I probably did not activate the emergency Brake Booster Pressure. A seniors moment ... again !:eek:

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Sean - I don't mean the swelling of brake hoses which should be minimal if they are in good condition.
So what di I mean?
A few years ago I did the Mercedes-Benz driver training course and we were instructed in how to do an emergency stop. The instruction was to push on the brake pedal as though squashing an orange and to let the BAS do the work. When you do it that way the car stops very quickly but the brake feel is a bit soft. Maybe that is what you are experiencing?
Once activated, the BAS increases braking without you need to push the pedal any harder.
Regards,
Brian

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Yes Brain, what you say makes sense. Next time I'm on a suitable stretch of road I will give it a go. Meantime I don't think I have a Brake problem. Thanks sean