6.9 long term storage

More threads by browndog

browndog

I will be putting the 6.9 for 90/120 days & have been given conflicting advise on long term storage: 1) place the car on custom made blocks, fill fuel tank/
fuel additive etc. 2) arrange to have it driven for an hour every 30 days.
Any thoughts?

BenzBoy

Grand Master
My thoughts would be to have it driven every 30 days - that way you keep the fuids circulating and stop seals from drying/brakes from sticking etc.
Whichever method you choose, I would change the oil prior to storage and immediately upon recovery. That way you ensure clean oil without contaminants which can mark the crankshaft etc and later cause bearing failure - I know this is unlikely but I have seen it happen.
Regards,
Benz-Boy

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
When I was in California about a year ago, I just gave my car to someone else to drive. In this case, he also fixed up a few annoying minor problems I had with my car. Over a period of time, the suspension on a 6.9 will drop, even when new. To this end, Mercedes shipped them ex factory with the rubber suspension blocks in place, whereupon the were removed by the selling dealer, and retained by the customer, should they need them in the future. I have seen such rubber blocks removed from current new cars, such as Nissan sports models, with non hydraulic suspensions. As far as fuel is concerned, it deteriorates over some months, and causes a variety of problems, when the car is subsequently driven. A simple technical phone call to any of the major oil companies will answer your queries; they are quite happy to help in this regard, when you get onto the right person.