Roof Lining Please - Long Chassis

More threads by Lukas

Lukas

Hi all,

Am after a good condition roof lining (the beige perforated stuff) from a long chassis car - please advise if you have one on offer. I think I read that some race cars recently may have had them removed?:)

Ta

Lukas

G

GreaseMonkey

Well if anyone finds a source, I will be needing several metres for the Crayford wagon. Any ideas? Or a similar pattern repro?
All ideas gratefully......etc, etc
regards,
Chris M.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Grease Monkey, there is no problem procuring the material. Parks should be able to elaborate further on the options available. Regards Styria

Parks

hi grease monkey as styria said theres no problem getting the roof lining material, unsure wether a premaid one would be available for the crayford (highly doubt it) but its easy enough to have one made up....regards parks

SELfor50

Lukas, I can provide you with a used one in ok condition.. As you saw today, it's not too bad. You're more than welcome to it if you want it. I was thinking more this afternoon.....i may attack that sunroof job in the coming weeks if you're up for it?!

Cam. :)

OP
L

Lukas

Cam - yes please, and am up for sunroof removal - let me know when.

Took the sunroof frame out of the 6.9 on Sat, and de-rusted, cleaned and re-installed by Sunday - hooray. Even managed not to tear the seats (by sticking sunroof drains into them) or drop primer on the interior, so double hooray. However, am again now up for parts - the sliding jaws that the sunroof runs on, and more seals etc for the 350, now that I stole all of its bits for the 6.9.

Parks - details please re the replacement material, for when I get annoyed at the staining on the ceiling trims on the other cars. How do you attach the fastening bar to the new stuff - sewing? The original has 2 melted lines where the meshy stuff the bar sits in are melted to the lining. Ditto where the small bits either side of the sunroof opening attach to the main piece of material - originally melted and sewed, I guess just sewed in a replacement?

If I get up the courage to fix the rust in the 350 (once the 6.9 is sorted of course), am conteplating giving it a "custom" interior, but the above issues would still need to be addressed.

Ta

Lukas

Parks

I will have to check but if you want ones with melted lines( which i didnt think they had) I would buy it premaid and sent from the states for $230AU plus postage, if you wanna check colours please go to www.gahh.com but if I were to do it yes it would have sewing lines (which most have)....regards Parks

abl567

Super Moderator
Hi Parks,
Those melted lines are made by the same machines that seal plastic bags, I bought one of ebay for 99 cents, +$22 postage to soften the blow:rolleyes:
I just tried it on a vinyl folder and it has the capacity to fuse that vinyl so should work for the thin materials I have seen used in head linings to attach the lining to the roof bow if that is the right term.
The only limitation is it is only 200mm wide but if I recall most head linings have several small bow pockets over the span.
Just a thought for a part no one will see...

Parks

thanks Anthony, il have to check it out, what is the actual machine called? or what should I type in as the description on ebay? regards Brent

abl567

Super Moderator
Hi Parks, it is a bag sealer
Here is one, item number 350082907902

OP
L

Lukas

Hi all,

Thanks to Cam2, one has come up on EBay - http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=170248867169

Contrary to what the ad header says, they will post, $22 to Oz.

I measured a SEL roof lining last night, to compare against their measurements:

Back of sunroof to end of lining: ebay 78cm, SEL 77cm (78cm if you unfold the bit around the carboard strip)
Full length of lining: ebay 137cm, SEL 147cm

Suggests the ebay one is for an SE, but not entirely convincing as I would have thought the first measurement would be 10cm longer for an SEL too.

Lukas

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Lukas, just to dig up an old post - have you ever gotten round to fixing/working/refurbishing anything at all on your 6.9 ? I know you went to Cambodia, I know you were building a garage, and I am wondering how you are getting on with all of this ? Regards Styria

OP
L

Lukas

Hi Lukas, just to dig up an old post - have you ever gotten round to fixing/working/refurbishing anything at all on your 6.9 ? I know you went to Cambodia, I know you were building a garage, and I am wondering how you are getting on with all of this ? Regards Styria

Good timing Styria. The garage concrete slab is being poured today, with the rest of it about 3 weeks away.

The car is going to MBSpares tomorrow to get the things fixed that I currently can't fix, and to get an RWC. Then just a matter of time to get it on historic plates.

I am hanging out to be able to take it for a spin, and then park it in an enclosed space.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Lukas, this is starting to sound good - it may well be that for our next outing (God knows when - soon I hope) we'll have two more 'brand new' 6.9's join the fray.

If there is anything I can advise you with, or assist, I am just a phone call away. Regards Styria

OP
L

Lukas

Hi Lukas, this is starting to sound good - it may well be that for our next outing (God knows when - soon I hope) we'll have two more 'brand new' 6.9's join the fray.

If there is anything I can advise you with, or assist, I am just a phone call away. Regards Styria

Thanks Styria. I would like to take it for some proper drives when it is registered, but the H plates are somewhat restrictive in that area for long trips (there is a 40km radius limit for "test drives"), but possibly I can get approval from the MB club registrar for longer trips to TK events.

Re repairs - already got advice from TK members, hence the decision that the remaining repairs were beyond my DIY efforts. I don't expect them to be cheap, but it's the price you pay and all.

Am also accumulating photos of the garage being built, to bore everyone here with.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Thanks Styria. I would like to take it for some proper drives when it is registered, but the H plates are somewhat restrictive in that area for long trips (there is a 40km radius limit for "test drives"), but possibly I can get approval from the MB club registrar for longer trips to TK events.

6.9 SHOULD not be on Club Rego...:(

They need to be driven when the impulse is there, when the need arises and when the desire is overwhelming.

Put another car on club plates, keep the 6.9 on full rego... :eek:

OzBenzHead

Master
6.9 SHOULD not be on Club Rego...:(

They need to be driven when the impulse is there, when the need arises and when the desire is overwhelming. [...]
Depending on the regulations and strictness of one's plate-authorising club, it's not difficult to take drives longer than the set "maintenance run" limits, and more or less spontaneously.

If a proposed run is longer than the usual allowed distance, I get club permission in advance (every month, just in case ... ), so whenever I feel like taking one of my h-platers for a run, I just SMS my club registrar to inform him. Never a hassle -- but it does depend on how controlling and anal the registrar is. :cool:

I certainly don't find club plates very restrictive at all.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi OBH, there is no doubt that you need a rather understanding Historic Plates registrar on your side. The responsibilities are quite significant - as you guys would know, you never have any problems with any Insurance Company "unless you have a problem" !

Before attempting to make a claim, you have to ensure that all i's have been dotted, and all the t's are crossed - and that process needs to be commenced right from the word 'go' until the time comes to lodge a claim - whenever that may happen to be because if there is any loophole, the Insurance Company will find it.....and, at that time, that's the last thing you want.So, EVERYTHING has got to be RIGHT !

Lukas, you also need to keep in mind that any topklasse organized event does not attract the privilege of "being part of an organized Club event" and therefore, by rights, any club plate registrar would not give you permission to drive your car to an event that we may organize. There is a good chance that we may be able to overcome this restriction by endeavouring to include any event we may organize to be sanctioned by the Club, but an approach would have to be made to the events director for inclusion in the club's events diary and to obtain their permission. Being one of the S-Class registrars, this may be of some assistance to obtain the Club's permission. Remember, we are only talking about cars with historic plates.

To second Michel's advice - I do think that 6.9s need to be driven - the more one drives them, the better they perform. Looking forward to hearing further from you if and when you make further progress with your projects. Regards Styria

OP
L

Lukas

All,

Agree re the concerns about club plate restrictions, but they are MUCH cheaper, so for now they will be go. I can always upgrade it to normal rego if the hankering is too great. Part of the motivation though is that I only drive my normal car once a week at most anyway.....

Re repairs - they called yesterday - all done, except that it needs a new drag link which is 10 days away and in Germany. Also has to have the tint removed from all the windows for the RWC, which is a pity, but expected (it is very dark).

Repairs were:
  • New hydro fluid line near front left sphere
  • Sump bolts tightened and gooed to stop leaking
  • Recond steering box fitted - old one was all adjusted out (as well as leaking), and I forgot to say that there was a 2nd hand steering box in the boot :)

Will either collect the car tomorrow and then take it back for the drag link, or otherwise leave it there until 10 days time (if they have the space). Either way, RWC very shortly, so I shall start registration proceedings.

Last edited:

WGB

I will have to check but if you want ones with melted lines( which i didnt think they had) I would buy it premaid and sent from the states for $230AU plus postage, if you wanna check colours please go to www.gahh.com but if I were to do it yes it would have sewing lines (which most have)....regards Parks

Sounds quite a reasonable price and will purchase a Grey one later on the year for my usual Xmas upholstering "holiday" - especially as the dollar seems to be recovering.

I am stuck with too many children's and grandchildren's car problems which require Grandad to fix to tear into the 6.9 at present.

I am also suffering from "NAS" (Nikon acquiring syndrome) which is cutting into my internet time as well as the budget.

Bill