How long have you owned your 6.9 for?

More threads by SEL_69L

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
For me it is just over 13 years.
Originally delivered new in Hong Kong, but built to ADR's.

I have owned only one other car a longer period.
That car is now in Japan.

Styria

The Godfather
Up until now, no one has replied to this post. That is, up to now. When I get back from the dungeon this afternoon, I will post a most comprehensive reply. Here at long last we may have a topic that should attract more than one reply, and hopefully that will obviate the need for me to find other subject matters to post because, really, I am not all that sure how many are actually interested in old Citroens, Tatras, Rolls Royces, Bentleys, Panhards, Maseratis, Ferraris et al. So how about it fellows - any chance ?

Regards Styria

N.B. We could talk about where we bought it from, WHY we bought it, what were the cars like, what about the people you bought the car from, what was your first impression after the initial drive - my God, we should be able to create fifty posts out of all that....if we have 250 replies advising someone how to re-align a number plate...surely. :)

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I've been meaning to answer this, but I haven't had a chance to check exactly when I bought my 6.9.
However, guessing from the fact that TK has been going since 2008, it mustave been around 2005.

I like the Godfather's idea of writing about 'how' and 'why' as well as 'where' we've bought our cars.

I'm sure there would be some amazing tales.

Styria

The Godfather
My date of purchase ? 25th August, 1995. Why did I buy it ? No idea initially.
In those days, there was never the slightest sign of an Internet, and most of my ideas car wise came from the Sydney Morning Herald - Motor Vehicles for Sale. Maybe about two years prior, I had seen a 6.9 advertised at $39K - obviously way out of my range - well, what would I want a 6.9 for ? Incidentally, just to digress briefly, please also tell us your story about any other 116 model, or 107 model for that matter - the heading of the thread should have been worded differently.

Getting back to my story. There was no way I could afford a 6.9 - not at that price anyway - and besides, I did have a 6.3 in the wings, then in my view the pinnacle of Mercedes Benz desirability and ownership. Right ? Right. BTW, it is totally co-incidental that abl567 is nowadays the owner of that 6.3 - even Helmet had a hand in it somewhere along the line, but that's another story. So one morning, maybe about a week or two before the actual purchase date, I was returning along Parramatta Road from having a Rover's wheel alignment carried out at Sydenham. As I was approaching a dealership by the name of Amos Classics, out of the corner of my eye I spotted this dark blue Mercedes parked in the sidestreet. With my curiosity aroused by the advertised price of $15,990, I decided that I had to have a look, parked my Rover 3500S, and sauntered over to the Mercedes. No sooner did I have a look at the car, a salesman emerged from the premises and basically indicated that "if I bought the car today, they'd knock $2K. off the purchase price". That aroused my interest considerably, and I decided to take the car for a test-drive. It went well - I mean I didn't really know how well so to speak - and it was only on my return to the dealership that I accidentally paid attention to the lettering on the bootlid - why, this was a 6.9 and, more importantly, it was cheap at the advertised price less the two grand off, keeping in mind that I had $39K. in mind from the long gone 6.9 that I had spotted in the Herald those two years prior. Story to be continued. Regards Styria

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
.....whilst the $2K. discount "on the day" offer was tempting, I did not go ahead there and then. I wanted to get approval from my partner, but I did not return to re-appraise the car for a few days. When we did return, her verdict was far from complimentary. No way, like Mafia car with the darkened windows, how could anyone design a car with windscreen wipers obscuring your view etc. etc. - unfortunately I couldn't offer any real positives to counter her findings - I mean, she was three quarters correct.

So off I went, but I took one thing with me - the 6.9 bug, and the very favourable price. I thought it was cheap at $13,990, wasn't it ? Anyway, I started scanning old Sydney Morning Heralds, and the cheapest I could see was $22K. Hmm...I had to have the car. In the meantime, I found another one for private sale, for $16K., and I actually offered the vendor two thousand dollars less. Alas, it was not accepted - someone actually gave the guy his asking price. Okay, back to the "Mafia" car and negotiations. I indicated that I wanted to have the car inspected, this was agreed to by the dealer and Twin Star Motors were given the job of the inspection - they used to be at Bexley but have long since closed down. The inspection revealed $5K.s worth of mechanical work, including a second to top flare in the gearbox and three faulty Air Cells - all in the front. Armed with that report, the dealer offered to reduce the price to $10,750.00 and we shook hands at that figure. The car was now mine. The dealer took the car to Twin Star and they replaced the Cells, and carried out a service, but I held off with the gearbox - in fact, I soldered on with the flaring for about five years. It didn't take me long to overcome that problem when driving. That's the story of aquisition of was to become Gleaming Beauty. Regards Styria

260ebenz

Master
$2K off the purchase price before even considering buying the 6.9 that is interesting was there anything wrong with the car?

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
As I was approaching a dealership by the name of Amos Classics
Regards Styria

Ahhhh. Amos Classics!
Who hasn't bought a car from there?
Or at least stopped and drooled over some of the stunning stuff they had?

Styria

The Godfather
As you would be aware Michel, the dealership had a huge make-over probably some three years ago, and I am of the belief that Amoses, as such, are no longer involved. The types of cars have changed considerably since the renovations and rebuilding - gone are the "old possible classic types" and have been replaced with sharp units from the upper end of the market.

I must say that my dealings with Amos were exemplary - at no stage did I get the impression that I was dealing with 'sharpies', and whatever they said they would do, you could hold them to their word. Very satisfactory. Looking back again today, Gleaming Beauty had been fairly well maintained which is something I became aware of during subsequent ownership experiences. Incidentally Michel, you may well be aware that at first that dealership was owned by John Thompson Performance cars, and then it became the property of a guy called Warwick Thomas - not quite so pleasant a chap. However, the first named - I well remember my ex brother-in-law buying a magnificent Rover 100 1962 model - that was a beautiful car and genuine ninety five miles per hour country cruiser. and that was forty nine years ago !

Okay, so you guys know the very early history of Gleaming Beauty - are there any others that would like to share car ownership experiences, and should I continue on with some of GB's subsequent adventures ? Regards Styria

Oversize

Grand Master
I bought Skye back on 13th April 2003. I was very naughty and bought her without 'permission' which caused me grief for years (ie not recommended). I paid $4280 and for that I got a badly leaking rocker cover gasket, leaking front and rear valves, a rusty sunroof, slight rust in the firewall, stuffed/missing carpets and moisture damage throughout the car. But up until then she was the cheapest 6.9 I'd ever seen and one that I was happy to use for parts.

I bought her on my credit card from a used car dealer called St Elbright Motors, on the corner of Chapel Street and Brighton Road in StKilda. It was in response to an ad they placed in the Age Classifieds. I'd been looking at ads for years and 'covertly' went and looked at several cars before I made the purchase. They've long since gone, along with my previous relationship! Lots of things have changed in the 10 years since I bought my first MB (thank goodness)!

Last edited:

Oversize

Grand Master
From what I remember of my initial impressions she was down on all fours and the back floor was a swimming pool, after some rain earlier in the day. When I started the engine she was hemmoraging engine oil onto the ground and I didn't have time to check the suspension before shutting her down. I actually asked the salesguy if she'd been in a flood! I drove away thinking there's no way I'd buy it, but after thinking about it for a few days I returned and did the deal.

I wasn't popular when she arrived home on the back of a tow truck and so began the battle over garage space and how I intended to pay off my credit card. I ended up getting another part-time job with the RACV and found storage at a mate's place 40 minutes away

Oversize

Grand Master
Yeah but none are drivers just yet!!!! At least one (Skye) will be a parts car. Holidays soon should finally see some bigger changes.... I'd always intended to use her for parts on another project, hence the reason I bought my first 6.9 in such poor condition. But the desire for them has grown to the point that almost any cheap one is fair game! But I've reached the point where I really don't want any more and like anyone I sometimes feel I've taken on too much. But I snap outta that pretty quickly and look forward to my first true joyride....

Last night I realized that she had her 10th anniversary only 3 days ago, so it might be a good excuse for some chocolate cake! :D

Last edited:
OP
SEL_69L

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
If there are 'parts' cars amongst your lot, there is a great reserve of those parts and potential to keep quite a few other 6.9's on the road.
It's nice to know that there are guys like you around!

I really do hope that you gan get at least one good 6.9 on the road, AND that you have fun driving it regularly.
I hope that they are all under cover!

Oversize

Grand Master
Yes all but one (Moby) is under cover, but he'll get a tarp soon. He's already on blocks and a long way from being finished.

Red Bull is the closest to being on the road and Green Lantern will be donating 2 doors to her which will be resprayed. The extra parts will make things far easier

6.9forever

Noble
... since late 2007.

Acquiring my 6.9 was the fulfilment of a dream that commenced in 1975 when we had a factory-fresh Australia spec W116-280SE that we kept in Europe for 2 years before shipping her to Melbourne en route to Tasmania:

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums...-2bf3-4a13-839b-e87364f455ba.jpg?t=1366095164

This photo taken somewhere in the Abruzzi: DB903 Blau with pergament MB-Tex.

We toured the Sindelfingen plant in a glass-roofed bus in January 1975 before collecting our car in the delivery hall and driving overnight to Bologna where the 280SE received its 1000km service.

When new, the M110 straight-six TOHC motor was smooth and willing with 185hp or a little less with ADR 27A emissions control.

But we missed out on the pleasures of the 3.5 and 4.5 litre V8s in this chassis so imagine what we thought when the 6.9 litre M100 was shoe-horned under the bonnet of the W116, albeit with a dry sump to make it possible!

I recall reading an "auto motor und sport" at school in Italy in 1975 when they tested a metallic blue 6.9 with blue velour (that article is somewhere on the internet as a pdf, I think in the members' area of www.m-100.cc).

So I hope it really will be "6.9forever":

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s390/450SEL6_9/P1020839.jpg

B13

Since June 2007.

Which reminds me, this weekend is the MBCV Concours d'Elegance, I'll be there with my 6.9

If you see me come and say hi.

I.

Oversize

Grand Master
... since late 2007.

Acquiring my 6.9 was the fulfilment of a dream that commenced in 1975 when we had a factory-fresh Australia spec W116-280SE that we kept in Europe for 2 years before shipping her to Melbourne en route to Tasmania:

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums...-2bf3-4a13-839b-e87364f455ba.jpg?t=1366095164

This photo taken somewhere in the Abruzzi: DB903 Blau with pergament MB-Tex.

We toured the Sindelfingen plant in a glass-roofed bus in January 1975 before collecting our car in the delivery hall and driving overnight to Bologna where the 280SE received its 1000km service.

When new, the M110 straight-six TOHC motor was smooth and willing with 185hp or a little less with ADR 27A emissions control.

But we missed out on the pleasures of the 3.5 and 4.5 litre V8s in this chassis so imagine what we thought when the 6.9 litre M100 was shoe-horned under the bonnet of the W116, albeit with a dry sump to make it possible!

I recall reading an "auto motor und sport" at school in Italy in 1975 when they tested a metallic blue 6.9 with blue velour (that article is somewhere on the internet as a pdf, I think in the members' area of www.m-100.cc).

So I hope it really will be "6.9forever":

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s390/450SEL6_9/P1020839.jpg

I'd say we're looking at a concourse winner there.... Oh so nice from every angle! Velour and heated seats are unusual for an Aussie car. Does it have an electric rear seat too?

WOW it must be so good to have one with no rust! Was yours restored at some point?

Keep her in the garage, drive her on dry roads only for at least 1/2hr every week and I'm sure you will have her forever!

Last edited:

6.9forever

Noble
Cheers Mark and thanks for the kind words - I am very keen to keep the car original and I know I have been outspoken in the past when I have seen departures from originality - perhaps not so kind myself.

The rear seat back is not reclining.

She's not concours and perhaps I don't aspire to that because then I'd be loathe to drive the car which I know is not a good idea. I do follow your advice already re regular exercise.

All in all not concours and what little rust there was has been removed. The car was resprayed to a pretty good standard by a previous owner.

In European terms I'd say Condition 2 not 1. Mechanically all good including all essentials with much help from good offices of the House of Styria.

1500km a year keeps her in good nick.

Cheers.

Ricord

Respect to you keeping the car original, that's one thing i always appreciate with a classic.