Maserati - a long held dream

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Whichever way you look at it, and whatever interpretation you cloth it with, the name and its motif, the "TRIDENT" so proudly displayed on the grilles bearing that name, have always evoked excitement, beauty of Italian styling at its best and mythical folklore that can never become obsolete.

Look at the 3500GT as crude as its build quality may have been, or the Ghibli Spyder - true classics in every sense. So, little wonder that I jumped at the opportunity to be taken for a test drive in the latest 4.7 liter V8, nowadays of course a protege of exotic Ferrari - for the last thirty years I have always wanted to have some form of involvement with that gloriously sounding name. This was it - it is actually parked in my driveway, ready for action.

CARDISPLAYDAYS062.jpg

CARDISPLAYDAYS064.jpg

So what is it like to be a passenger in a $300K. Sports Car, with Ferrari engine, Paddle Shifts that allow you to drive this exquisite machinery in both Automatic and Manual form ? An absolute blast. Acceleration is of the blinding type, gear changes can be lighting fast, the ride is surprisingly supple and you just know this is something very, very special. Exhaust note ? Don't ask. With the touch of a button, you can have quiet (such as it can be) or roarty, and I mean roarty. The button just opens up part of the exhaust system, and the crecendo on acceleration, and the "crackling" on downward changes, just puts a grin on your face from ear to ear.

Wheels and tyres, and the braking system are par for the course for a car of this quality,

CARDISPLAYDAYS065.jpg

and the "Office" has a striking resemblance to another classic of yesteryear.

CARDISPLAYDAYS060.jpg

CARDISPLAYDAYS063.jpg

and who made it all possible ? Michel, just "one of the boys" on topklasse - thanks Michel. Regards Styria

Last edited:
OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
A Maserati in the driveway would be fun, Styria. Why didn't you kidnap the car?
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Hi BenzBoy, it would have been nice to actually have driven the car, but I honestly just appreciated the experience, even from the passenger seat. Besides, not for one moment do I think that I might have done justice to what the car would have to offer on a seriouis drive. Even as it was, traffic and road conditions, and road rules, dictated that even Michel was not able to extract that much from the car - but you just knew, or at least had an inkling, that thgis Maserati possessed a racing pedigree and I understand that they are raced extensively in a certain type of Sports Car category.

The only aspect of some disappointment was, well, minute - and pardon the pun - it was the clock, so famous in earlier Maseratis, that was quite plain even though it still had a similar shape to the originals. Those clocks - a Maserati specialty - worth well in excess of a thousand dollars. Regards Styria

BenzBoy

Grand Master
At one stage the clock was made by Cartier; at another by Jaeger Le Coultre; today, I believe it is now made by Digitec. Oh my, see how the standards have fallen.
I guess I really will need to buy the Bristol Beaufighter after all....
At least one can specify genuine rubies and sapphires for the fascia panel warning lamps.
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Last edited:
OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Well BenzBoy, if you really fancy of "having arrived" (Gurney Nutting notwithstanding), you need to invest in some of the '30s Mercedes Benz'(i) :D with their mother-of-pearl inlay dashes. Nicer than what was offered even by Rolls Royce in those days - never mind the 'Beaufighter' although what a name. I say, old chap, what do you drive ? Aaaahh, weeell, I have the Beaufighters bridle hanging over the corral fence, just out the runway. Oh, jolly good.

P9060190-1.jpg

So much for my impersonation of the British gentry. Regards Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Just to prove that I have always had admiration for the Maserati mystique, here are a couple of pics I took whilst in Germany a few years ago....

P9150112.jpg

P9150113.jpg

This is one of the few makes of cars where the four door version is probably an even better looker than the Coupe. Also, if one looks at the wheels of the car parked in my driveway, please take note of the clever spoke design - almost a copy of the Trident badge on the grille. Regards Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Brilliant, but I do love the Quattroporte!

You know JohnS, I almost came to buy an original Quattroporte which was in the showrooms of the Nissan Dealership owned by Arnold Glass on Parramatta Road in the early '70s. What a magnificent car, advertised for $6000.00 if memory serves me right. What stopped me was the trade-in valuation on my Mercedes 300SE (long wheel base, to be sure) Finnie - oh yes, we can give you 'five' - not thousand, but hundred. Right turkey, on my way I am, as much as I liked that Maserati. Ah, the good old days - I even had my eyes on a Lancia Flaminia Berlina (now there is another exotic), as well as a Fiat 2300S Coupe that had steering so heavy that I couldn't turn the wheel. Mind you though, how long is it since anyone has seen one of those magnificos ? A while, I bet. Regards Styria