Maserati Quattroporte

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Rummaging around Motec 6.9s recent 'offerings', I came across this website featuring the car as the title of the thread implies. Why am I showing this on topklasse, you may well ask ? Simply,because it was a car that always appealed to me. It was in the latish '70s that I owned a 1966 lwb 300SEL Finnie Saloon. I have spoken about it previously at various times - I totally disliked that car at first as I was comparing it with two ROVER 3 litre Coupes I owned at the time, and it never fared too well in that comparison for one reason or another. Anyway, I had bought it well, at $2650.00 and after about 12 months ownership, it had really grown on me. It was a great car.

It just so happened that Arnold Glass' Nissan dealership on Parramatta Road, Lidcombe, had a Maserati Quattroporte on their showroom floor, with a price tag of $8000.00. That was good money in those days - well, it still is today, isn't it ? I was more than interested in that Maser, and I asked the salesperson to give me a trade-in price for the 300. Well, he was generous in offering me $500.00 on the $8 grand car and, needless to say, I felt insulted, I was hurt, and walked away with my tail between my legs. But, I have always liked that Quattroporte (the styling by Frua had always appealed to me) and finding this website with its interesting pictures immediately evoked some bitter sweet memories. As an aside, I kept the 300 for seven years and one hundred thousand miles, and sold it for $5800.00. Today it would bring plenty more.

http://www.maserati-indy.co.uk/alfieri65.htm

Regards Styria

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Styria this is the only Heckflosse for sale in oz at the moment http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars...=132EC6658304&__Nne=15&__Qpb=1&seot=1&__N=834 1216 1246 1247 1252 1282 1090&silo=1011 as for the Maserati Quattroporte http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maserati_Quattroporte#Quattroporte_I_.281963.E2.80.931969.29 i remember seeing one in uniquecars in the mid 90's it was in Sydney and required full restoration it must have been the 1 you wanted as it would most likely have been the only 1 in oz :D

WiSeGuYY

Hey Godfather , LOL @ trade in , i would be hurt and insulted too , the fintail worth much more , but those italian sport cars usually over rated , i only remember that Quattro porto from the third generation ( 70's model) , Motec link of the sidney finny show how much it can get these days.

REGARDS

TAREK

Tony66_au

Standard operating procedure with car dealers and trade-in deals Styria, Offer the price of the registration or scrap value so don't feel too insulted as they would have budged if you had opened negotiations.

The Maserati's interested me too but having owned a few Fiats I stopped at the admiration stage lol.

Tony

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Well yes, Tony, love affairs with Italian cars ! I did have a Fiat 1500 Mark III many years ago, and as far as driving is concerned, it was marvellous. However, Electricals were a perennial problem, and bodywise, that car left a lot to be desired. I even had considered flirting with a Fiat 2300 Saloon (such a sweet engine), a 2300S Coupe with impossibly heavy steering (unbelievable), then the Fiat 2800 (V6) Saloon and Coupe (beautiful rust buckets) and who can forget the Alfa Rust reputation and also the turbo charged Maserati bi-turbo of the '90s and the Lancia Gamma. Such a nice looking car, but obviously beset by major problems even from the design stage.

Add the cost of spare parts, and the unreliable supply of those, and you have a recipe that tells you to stay away. Regards Styria

.....and I mustn't forget - I almost bought a Lancia Flaminia Saloon for $3K., but it was handicapped by a slipping clutch.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
My experience of owning a Fiat 2300 sedan was excellent - solid build, good handling - lovely exhaust note etc and 4 wheels disc brakes at a time when Holden was yet to put a power booster of its all-drum system.
I unfortunaletly sold it in 1992 and its one car I regret ever letting go.
The Gamma was a delightful car to drive but British critics saw no good in it and rather ruined its reputation. I drove one in the Wintersun Rally in the mid 1990s and it was a sweet - highly developed and thoroughly well balanced machine.
Regards,
Brian

WiSeGuYY

hey ALL , nice to remind me with the golden days LOl no disrespect to ITALIAN cars it is lovely to look at that is for sure , i too fall for a MESARATI BORA 7o in front of the Vatican in Rome was belonging to the japaneese ambasador to italy i still remember was dark green metalic Sight, that year i was only taking pictures for all sort of italian cars , was still driven with a driver and 2300 FIAT BLUE the offecial gov color in ITALY that time. wonder if it is still till today.
My first car EVER was my 124 sport coupe which was my university car till graduation , drove it in europe then shipped to Egypt. was fun but couldn't perform well in the heat of CAIRO and had to be tuned after each race in the streets in the 70s , in the 90's i had a Lancia DEDRA was nice but was family ( parents ) car beside te w108 benz.

also have expeience ALFA Julieta one of my friends had , that was all our italian cars which i had.

REGARDS

TAREK

WGB

Diesel Motors had a black Quattroporte (Near new model) for sale when I purchased my E500 last year.

I kept looking out the window at it as the sale for my E500 went ahead and decided (as I have done many times in the past) that a good sound wife with a few interesting pecadillos is much safer than a wild mistress.

Bill