Chassis 116 colour chart - paint

More threads by Styria

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
Thanks, Styria, I have tried to track down a paint chart for 116's for some time.

As you know, I am considering some paint repair to my car. As my ID picture shows, SEL 69L is grey blue, colour 906. I was thinking of painting the lower half of the doors below the trim line in magnetite blue 931. It very fortunate that the paint chart shows magnetite blue immediately below the grey blue.

I would appreciate comments from other topklassers about such a two tone paint scheme.

Oversize

Grand Master
Colours are a very personal choice and are difficult to get right. One of my Ex's was an interior designer (long story) & the theory goes that you should use complementary colours from the opposite side of the colour wheel / chart. Not only that, but the proportion of colour should be chosen carefully, as too much colour will dominate the other & possibly ruin the intended effect.

Not sure if anyone can provide a breakdown of the number of 6.9s produced by colour? As most would know, three of mine are the same light blue, but one is red (colour code to follow shortly). I used to own a Ford XE ESP which was a very rare colour combination; of course I only discovered that many years after it was sold.... :mad: I'm wondering if my red 6.9 is also a rare colour, because I've never seen another like it. :rolleyes:

Tony66_au

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
It's interesting what you're saying. I tried your recommendation by clicking onto 'Bild' (picture) in the 877 Petrol, but the re-produced colour seemed somewhat inaccurate. Mind you though, and more importantly, the picture produced proof that 116s were, in fact, sprayed in the 877 Petrol. From time to time, that had been questioned. Regards Styria

Oversize

Grand Master
Looks like the colour is Brilliant Red Metallic (525G). Anyone know how many W116s were made in this colour & how many were 6.9s?? :rolleyes:

Tony66_au

It's interesting what you're saying. I tried your recommendation by clicking onto 'Bild' (picture) in the 877 Petrol, but the re-produced colour seemed somewhat inaccurate. Mind you though, and more importantly, the picture produced proof that 116s were, in fact, sprayed in the 877 Petrol. From time to time, that had been questioned. Regards Styria

Sorry about that Styria, I only checked a few and they seemed ok.

Sadly when it comes to photos on the interweb the colours are often incorrect due to a number of reasons including bad light and cheap camera's and even scanned old 35mm (Or worse) photos.

I did this elsewhere and it might be a good idea to duplicate here when I started a thread with actual car pictures of various colours and posted them up with help from forum members.

The criteria was that the pic was taken on a moderately sunny day, preferably not in direct sunlight, without flash and on ISO 400 setting to capture colour the closest to what we see with the naked eye.

Your thoughts?

BTW, I also filled the Gaps using Google picture search and searching Photobucket.

Regards,
Tony

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Sorry Tony - I am somewhat confused. Are you referring to pictures in our gallery ? I must admit that I was somewhat premature when commenting on the quality of the colour reproductions. Most of them are in fact quite good.

I also have original colour charts of 108/109 and 115 models, and I am still working on producing those in PDF format. Again, I ask for patience. Regards Styria

Tony66_au

No mate, not the gallery.

I was referring to the pics in the colour chart.

What Im suggesting is a thread in TK with photos of the colours.

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Tony, as you'd probably know, we do have a colour chart in the Technical Section. I realize, of course, that those colours can only be approximate, but you don't think that's good enough ? I have seen a picture gallery of the 'CORRECT' colours on some website (NOT the one you have referred us to), but for the life of mine I just can't remember the details of that site. I have sort of figured that what we have is 'okay' enough. Regards Styria

Tony66_au

Its fine Styria and as a reasonable representation it works well enough.

The suggestion was more as a supplement than replacement as the subtle variations in colour don't always translate well.

Take my 450SE for instance, the code tells me the colour is Topaz brown but even on polished areas on the car and spots I know haven't been resprayed I still get a different colour to that shown in the charts, not even close.

Petrol is another colour that doesn't represent well in the pictures which BTW will have been scanned from film, a technology that is still far from perfect when compared to today's digital camera technology.

What I propose is that we hunt through our car show photos and post up truer representations of the Mercedes Benz colour charts including the "Unofficial" colours of which there seem to be a few. (Those naughty Germans!)

Add to the equation that most of the pictures attached to charts are small and a larger photo would better represent the colours and their subtleties and its not a bad idea.

Just a thought.

Tony

braminator123

Aficionado
Hi All,

Does anyone know of the breakdown of 6.9s produced in each colour? Maybe just for Australian delivered cars?

Cheers.

Bram

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi All,

Does anyone know of the breakdown of 6.9s produced in each colour? Maybe just for Australian delivered cars?

Cheers.

Bram

Sorry, I cannot help you with that one - not so sure if anyone would have that information. Regards Styria

sean sherry

Master
Hi Styria, was Inca Red Metalic code 581 used on the 116. ?

Is it a rare colour used for 1980 only ( ? ) on the 107s

My current '80 280 SL and a 380 SL I bought new around 1980 are/ were this colour.

Just curious, as a few Club Members have offered the advise that it is not a Mercedes colour............

Sean

Helmet

Connoisseur

My current '80 280 SL and a 380 SL I bought new around 1980 are/ were this colour.

Just curious, as a few Club Members have offered the advise that it is not a Mercedes colour............

Sean

I believe it was, probably all been changed by now :rolleyes:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia

Sean

Inca Rot was definitely an MB colour used on the W116