chassis no. on 1973 350E

More threads by gurrier

gurrier

Connoisseur
Could someone pleased advise me if the vehicle identification number can be found in a third place other than on the bulkhead and the hood slam panel

Styria

The Godfather
Ireland and Oz Country call the bulkhead of the car "Firewall'. As far as I know,Gurrier, that is the only area where you'll find the chassis number.

If you're lucky, the bracket that holds the ashtray to the console also has a paper strip that shows chassis number and other option details that would have been applicable to your car. I do not believe that the little plate on the radiator support panel gives you details of chassis number - hang on, there are two plates there and, I think, one of them gives you the details. Someone, anyone, please help. Regards Styria

OP
G

gurrier

Connoisseur
Re: chassis no. on 1973 350SE

The W116 is very rare in this country. Most of all makes of vehicles in the Classic Scene here are imported from the UK. It is very rare to come across an Irish Registered 1973 vehicle such as the one that I am interested in. Unfortunately there is rust in the area where the chassis no. is on the firewall therefore I am slighly suspicious that the vecicle may be a one that has been importedfrom the UK and had Irish Plates from a similar vehicle put on. Any pointers as regards verifying identity would be appreciated

s class

Only U.S. (and perhaps Canada?) delivery cars had the VIN on the B pillar near the driver's door lock. For most other markets in the world, there are only two locations for the VIN. On the firewall as stated, stamped into the steel, and then on the silver and black aluminium plate riveted onto the steelwork above the radiator.

DOes the VIN you have at least seem plausible?

It will be

116 028 XY ZZZZZZ

If the car is left hand drive, then X will be 1
If the car is right hand drive, then X will be 2

If the car is manual, then Y will be 0
if the car is Auto, then Y will be 2

ZZZZZZ is the sequence number. Since its 1973, its one of the earliest cars. I would expect the first two, and possibly the third, Z to be 0

TJ 450

The VIN can be found on a multitude of interior parts, in data card form. The rear seat back, front seat frame, under the parcel shelf sheetmetal, behind the ashtray etc.

Tim