450sl rebuild??

More threads by johnnya

johnnya

Boys ive been reading your posts and never made any comments. Ive decided to post and ask for your communal wisdom
my 450sl is tidy but not perfect, ie ideally it needs a retrim. Bodywise ive spent a bit recently and its rust free, but I woould love to take carpets off and do the inside.
lately its engine gave me a scare, it overheated, and I saw oil sot ouut of side of head, and thought the worst... head gasket
thank god it was a blown heater hose and damaged oil tubes. Now all repaired,
it uses a bit of oil,
it has done 339000km.
My question is...... do I bite the bullet and rebuild its engine? What sort of money there??
How far shoukd I go?
Is it all a waste of money?
Shoukd I just sell it and get a 129....???

your communal advice please

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
A R129 is like a W140 it will probably cost more in first year in maintenance than rebuilding your engine. And that's before anything goes wrong wiring loom ignition module evap list goes on. That is why they start at Cherry money for oldest. Geoff :)

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Johnnya, good to get your input even if it means having to use my brains ! :) Mind you, you may well ask.....

Your car.......it's somewhat difficult to advise you properly without seeing it. In addition, a lot depends on the amount of money you are prepared to spend, the standard of condition you try to attain, and what you would like to finish up with in the end. We have been involved in the restoration of a couple of 107s now, and both jobs created quite a bit of friction in the end - all to do with money, of course. It is just so easy for the cost factor to get out of control and, unfortunately, once you have started, it is not easy to say "stop, no more" - it usually means that you carry on to the bitter end.

The cars we dealt with had huge rust problems, especially a 450SLC - the rust repairs alone came to about $5K. It was major. The 350SL also suffered from rust, had been fitted with huge after market 'chromies' that virtually rendered the car impossible to drive, plus both cars needed retrimming. From what you tell us, the interior appears to be in some need of attention - again, how much do you want to spend, and also what on. Top quality carpet will set you back at least $1.1K. to $1.4K. - it is surprising how much carpet is needed for the boot itself, and of course it all has to be fitted, which means seats out, sill panels carpets that need to be removed and new items fitted and glued in place - the gearbox tunnel carpet (centre console) is difficult to replace, and so forth and so on.

Engine wise - you'd probably be best to purchase a sound second hand unit, but it all costs money to buy, and then to fit. Plus, you don't always know what sort of engine you're buying. Well, doesn't sound too encouraging so far, does it ? Speak to as many people THAT KNOW as to your course of action - in my case, I stress for you to consider carefully before you start. The R129 ? Not a cheap car to maintain - very complex, some very expensive parts - maybe Helmet can advise you more fully on that particular model. Let's know how you get on. Maybe we can get together with you at some time to have a look at your car. Regards Styria

Last edited:

Helmet

Connoisseur
Boys ive been reading your posts and never made any comments. Ive decided to post and ask for your communal wisdom
my 450sl is tidy but not perfect, ie ideally it needs a retrim. Bodywise ive spent a bit recently and its rust free, but I woould love to take carpets off and do the inside.
lately its engine gave me a scare, it overheated, and I saw oil sot ouut of side of head, and thought the worst... head gasket
thank god it was a blown heater hose and damaged oil tubes. Now all repaired,
it uses a bit of oil,
it has done 339000km.
My question is...... do I bite the bullet and rebuild its engine? What sort of money there??
How far shoukd I go?
Is it all a waste of money?
Shoukd I just sell it and get a 129....???

your communal advice please

Hi John,
I don't live far from you and happy to call in to check out your 107, as for a 129 , I'd be buying the later model SL320 , v6 and no hydraulic suspension. Pm me if you like .

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Helmet yes thats great. Im in miranda at work. So u can see tge car there. How do I pm

To PM, click on the person's name and you will get a dropbox that would give you the option to send a PM (Private Message) versus a public post which everyone can see.

hoddo

Connoisseur
I thought these motors were good for a bit more than 350k, how much oil does it use? Might just need a timing chain and a tune up to get another 100k