Sometimes you must love technolgy...

More threads by BenzBoy

Styria

The Godfather
What a cracking good video - mind you, how could the technology be adopted on a mass produced basis ? Okay on trucks, but what about on cars ? One would virtually have to install TV screens on all cars and trucks. Impossible, impractical ? Regards Styria

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
What a cracking good video - mind you, how could the technology be adopted on a mass produced basis ? Okay on trucks, but what about on cars ? One would virtually have to install TV screens on all cars and trucks. Impossible, impractical ? Regards Styria
For the sake of safety it is not difficult or expensive. It requires a front mounted camera + Wi-Fi or Bluetooth to connect to an LED panel on the rear of a truck - I could build it for you now for less than $2000 installed.
I t is so simple and it makes so much sense.
Regards,
Brian

sean sherry

Master
Technology .... up until my wake up call I did not give it but lip service.
Will enver happen to me mentality.
If I can install a system that brakes my cars if the Driver doesn't, I will .. but only an aftermarket or Factory retrofit system that intragrates to the Cars Electronics.
Not my first miss judgement... ten years ago in the UK driving a Diesel Saab I overtook a Truck and was left stranded on the wrong side of the road because the Diesel ran out of power at lower Revs compared to a (Turbo ) Petrol.
Not a fan of Diesels ? Not here in Aus., but current VW Golf Diesels and others are a big advance in Driveability.

CraigS

"Sometimes you must love technolgy..."

Brian - we have spoken about spelling errors in the past, and this is just not expected of you !

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
"Sometimes you must love technolgy..."

Brian - we have spoken about spelling errors in the past, and this is just not expected of you !
That was the old me; the new me is very, very careless...........
It all began when I purchased Mr Fast and Furious - you know; the Antinomian Defence!
Regards,
Brian

sean sherry

Master
Went to Pickles Holding Yard for write Offs to retrieve my E Tag. A huge place, Hundreds of Cars of all types. They said that between two and three hundred Cars are written off every Day! A lot of them had Air Bags deployed. High costs are not the sole province of Mercedes.
Did I mention that just for Air Bags, plural, $9000 for the Golf and $13000 for a Mercedes. No wonder so many Cars are written off when a few years old.
Adequate Insurance a must !

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Went to Pickles Holding Yard for write Offs to retrieve my E Tag. A huge place, Hundreds of Cars of all types. They said that between two and three hundred Cars are written off every Day! A lot of them had Air Bags deployed. High costs are not the sole province of Mercedes.
Did I mention that just for Air Bags, plural, $9000 for the Golf and $13000 for a Mercedes. No wonder so many Cars are written off when a few years old.
Adequate Insurance a must !
Sean - your next car is to have airbags in the shape of a 4 leaf clover please. :D
Regards,
Brian

Oversize

Grand Master
Ok good idea but a few problems... How many will get stolen? How many ppl will watch the TV & not the truck in front? How long before they start advertising on them?
I like how they think this is a good idea but don't seem to care about dark window tint on back windows.... Just like looking at a brick wall with no warning on pending traffic congestion. Did they forget why centre stop lights were invented?

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Ok good idea but a few problems... How many will get stolen? How many ppl will watch the TV & not the truck in front? How long before they start advertising on them?
I like how they think this is a good idea but don't seem to care about dark window tint on back windows.... Just like looking at a brick wall with no warning on pending traffic congestion. Did they forget why centre stop lights were invented?
This is a solution to vision blocked by a large truck in front of you.
If you don't like this solution do you have an alternative?
Regards,
Brian

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
This is a solution to vision blocked by a large truck in front of you.
If you don't like this solution do you have an alternative?
Regards,
Brian

Of course.
Use the remote and turn the screen off :eek: :eek: :eek:

Styria

The Godfather
If I can put in my two cents worth. If there is a feature that will automatically stop you from running into the car in front of you, that's a great feature. They call that Distronic, don't they, and it is already on many cars - am I correct ? Sean's mishap of course is unrelated to this thread, and his problem was one of inattention to traffic conditions. That could happen to the best of us - if we dream or don't pay attention. I have had two at fault accidents - the first fifty two years ago on a dark country road, and the second in 1982 when I was looking elsewhere, and in order to avoid running into a stationary bus (stopped illegally I might add) I drifted across into oncoming traffic.

Overtaking, of course, requires that you know your car's capabilities intimately. Even if you had a screen that would provide details of oncoming traffic that may be obscured from view, you'd still have to know and be capable of judging if you have enough time, distance, speed and forward vision to judge if you can overtake safely. If your judgement fails you, guess what ? Head-on. As simple as that. Regards. Styria

CraigS

Sean's mishap of course is unrelated to this thread, and his problem was one of inattention to traffic conditions.

That is exactly why this technology exists. The biggest problem we are going to face with driverless cars and similar technologies is hacking and viruses.

sean sherry

Master
Maybe " Mobileye" could have saved me a lot of grief. It's a forward warning System developed in Israel and is OEM to several Car Companies.

Google it and let me know what you think

CraigS

I don't think there is any doubt that all of these advanced technologies assist with safer driving and inattentiveness, but as mentioned, the biggest risk to these technologies is in them being able to be accessed by those who shouldn't. It is plain to see that even what is supposed to be secure web sites, can be accessed by those hell bent on gaining access. Can you imagine a group such as IS wanting to gain this sort of access, and imagine the chaos if they were able to.