OP
c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
OP
c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Just recently I upgraded the Alternator in my 250SE to 55A. Its made a big difference, and so far I am very happy with the improvement. My 250SE, and nearly all W111/W108 etc, came originally with a 35A alternator.

This seems like a very small size to us now, but when the cars were new, it was adequate. It really only powers the petrol pump and ignition system. The period radios were only a few amps also.

When the mainstream V8 cars came out in 1969 (with the 300SEL 3.5 and 280SE 3.5 Coupe/Cabriolet), they got a 55A alternator. The 6.3 also had this alternator in 1969, but not sure what it had on introduction. Later, this was standardized on the sixes. I can't remember the exact date, but 1971 rings a bell. Interestingly, the 600 W100 had two 35A alternators! This is an externally regulated alternator, that was then carried over to the W114 sixes, and early 107 and 116 v8s.

This would have been combined with more and more people ordering options that used power like A/C, power windows, power sunroof etc etc.

My 250SE was not fitted with A/C when new, but it had been added later. I also do a fair amount of driving it at night, mostly because I don't have any other time to do so.

A couple of years back, my alternator went out. I managed to pick up a rebuilt 35A unit that somebody was selling as they bought the wrong model for their later W108. I had this fitted and it was never really up to the job. Not sure if it was because it wasn't a great rebuild, or if my original alternator (which was marked as 35A) had been rebuilt to a higher capacity at some point.

Last week I had the 55A Bosch factory rebuilt alternator fitted that I bought in from the US. It's the one that goes on a late 280SE, so it bolts right up. Plug is slightly different, but wires are the same and still externally regulated.

it's made a huge difference, and now I can sit in stop/go traffic with A/C on max, headlights on, radio on etc and not have the voltage drop down very low. Car was tuned as well, so the combination of both has it running better than it has for quite some time.

The other thing I had done last year, was all four calipers rebuilt. I noticed a soft brake pedal and hot wheel. All four were sticky and that has also made a big difference. Given how little many classics are used, I would imagine that most cars have at least rears that are not doing anything much. I use my cars more than most classic owners, and have had this issue on a few cars. Really shows these cars must be driven at least monthly, and properly driven, not just started up. IMG_8318c.jpg

OP
c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
I've just fitted a 123 ignition distributor to the car.
No, this has nothing to do with the W123. 123 ignition is a european company who make a brand new electronic distributor with many applications. For example they have a model that replaces most lucas distributors too, one for the rover V8 and of course the Mercedes SOHC six family from the 50s to the 80s.

abl567

Super Moderator
I've just fitted a 123 ignition distributor to the car.
No, this has nothing to do with the W123. 123 ignition is a european company who make a brand new electronic distributor with many applications. For example they have a model that replaces most lucas distributors too, one for the rover V8 and of course the Mercedes SOHC six family from the 50s to the 80s.

That's a great read Bryce, thanks!

OP
c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Last week I took the car on the MBCNSW night drive. Drive went really well, but when turning o to the comenarra parkway, all of a sudden I heard a horrible noise from the front of the car like somebody was rattling nails in a tin can. There was also a very strange steering feel, Like power assist was coming on and off.

IMG_7123.jpeg
I pulled over and had a look. Lots of fluid in the reservoir and a horrible noise from the pump. It was midnight, so I decided to get the car towed home.

took two hours to get the tow truck and get the car back.

02CA67A4-AE0D-4189-8AB2-A209B8740A01.jpeg
After getting the car home, I went back a few days later to see the issue with proper lighting and found a broken pulley.

IMG_7168.jpeg

Hope it hasn't chewed up anything else, but I assume it's not the hardest item to source a replacement or worst case get welded back together?

OP
c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
I managed to get a good used pulley and have it installed, so the car is back on the road.
I also learned something about the car I never knew. It has a coolant/oil heat exchanger.

Patrick_R

Grand Master
I managed to get a good used pulley and have it installed, so the car is back on the road.
I also learned something about the car I never knew. It has a coolant/oil heat exchanger.

Very interesting cooler Bryce.
A nice way to keep things cool and warm.
Its the only type of cooler used on our trucks these days.

OP
c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Did an upgrade to the Radio over the weekend. Even though I can't put a slimline radio in, at least I can use the knobs from one.

2024-03-23 22-03-01.jpeg