More threads by motec 6.9

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Alas, I can't do much without Jerry.

But I've been watching it...

Styria

The Godfather
When undertaking a body restoration on these Coupes, it pays to remember that:

1. Bonnets are not interchangeable with Saloon bonnets.
2. Front Guards are different as are the bumper bars.

Jerry of course, Michel, can take care of most body problems, so those should be of no issue to you. One would have to ascertain the state and condition of the interior - just about nothing (except front seats) is interchangeable with Saloons. Helmet may perhaps be able to also take part in this discussion. It will be interesting to see how much it sells for. Regards, Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
what's wrong with 'adapting' sedan front sheet metal?

Helmet

Connoisseur
Problem with this car is that you could buy a good example for probably half of what this one would cost to repair/ restore. As for adapting sedan parts, might fool some people but would certainly decrease its future value. Maybe good for a parts car or if someone really wants a huge project, go for it :)

Styria

The Godfather
Michel, the measurementsjust don't add up - the lengths and shapes are different - plus a host of many other items.To give you an idea - some years ago, in fact many, I bought a 280S/SE front inner guard to fit to a chassis 109 6.3. The detail differences were mind boggling and took ages to fit and fix.

I tend to think that Helmet is pretty well spot on - also, don't forget that he does own a 220SE Coupe and I daresay that he'd be pretty familiar with some of the issues involved. Regards Styria

N.B. Michel, I am even confident in stating that 220SE and say, 280SE 3.5 Coupe bonnets and front guards would not be interchangeable. How say you, Helmet ? Agree ?

Last edited:

Helmet

Connoisseur
Michel, the measurementsjust don't add up - the lengths and shapes are different - plus a host of many other items.To give you an idea - some years ago, in fact many, I bought a 280S/SE front inner guard to fit to a chassis 109 6.3. The detail differences were mind boggling and took ages to fit and fix.

I tend to think that Helmet is pretty well spot on - also, don't forget that he does own a 220SE Coupe and I daresay that he'd be pretty familiar with some of the issues involved. Regards Styria

N.B. Michel, I am even confident in stating that 220SE and say, 280SE 3,5 Coupe bonnets and front guards would not be interchangeable. How say you, Helmet ? Agree ?

Well , the 3.5 is totally different on all front ends panels. I also had one that I sold recently