Longevity of Petrol

More threads by Styria

Oversize

Grand Master
The pumps won't run without cranking and therefore starting the engines. And if you leave any old fuel in the tank you risk damage

sean sherry

Master
From a Caltex engineer who blends Fuel...... There are about 6 weather zones in Australia coupled a variation in Summer and Winter Blends. All to do with volatility. A Summer blend in Cairns used in a Melbourne Winter will give hard starting issues due to a lower volatility. The difference between octane ratings ? not mentioned. I guess the higher the volatility the quicker it will go off ? ?
Also, valve seat recession in old low revving engines..... not a issue, no need for an additive. All the testing was conducted in the UK on Motorways using modern short stroke engines running at high speed.
I use an additive in my 1980 107 280 SL as I considered it a high revving engine i.e., peak Torque is around 4000 RPM.

But I have heard that using 98 negates the necessity of adding an additive ? ? ?

Andrew280SEL

This is actually a very useful and informative thread, IMO.

I had never really thought about the potential consequences of constantly refilling when say the tank still has a good quarter or so left, instead of running it nearly empty. Well in fact I had rarely ever thought of the possibility of fuel going bad over time, but it makes sense.

Certainly food for thought...

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Andrew, you actually find this thread useful ? That sort of thinking alone warrants your return to TK and guarantees you full executive status on TK. :D it's good to see you back and perhaps in another thread you might be willing to bring us up to date on the status of car ownership in your family.

Regarding fuel - obviously, I cannot speak with the authority that Sean is able to convey, never having been employed in the industry. All I can say is that GB has always been immaculate and totally reliable in her behaviour as far as fuel issues are concerned. There have been lengthy periods when GB was laid up (ay least six months), and at no time did I experience any fuel issues. In fact, I found it almost unbelievable as to how reliable she is from that point of view. In days gone by I have replaced all eight injectors as part of routine maintenance, as well as the fuel divider - I think.
Many years ago, I fitted what was then called a "fuel star converter". This was at a time when the debate was raging regarding unleaded fuel and the effect it would have on valve recession and other associated issues. Sean would recall that period, and he may well remember the "emergence" of that device. We were all up in arms at that time over the fuel problem. Perhaps this device has helped Gleaming Beauty over all those years because, believe it or not, it is still fitted to the car. It is actually quite simple to run fuel through the system merely by turning on the ignition - all one has to do is to disconnect the wiring plug that runs to a switch at the right hand side of the inlet manifold situated next to the fuel distributor. Regards. Styria

Last edited:

Andrew280SEL

Thanks, Styria, I shall do that. I'm planning on picking up a W123 230E soon and when I do I'll likely make a thread regarding that plus an update in general.

However, regarding fuel, a few of the old Benzes in my family unfortunately do sit for long periods and so this topic certainly gets my thought processes going, as there would certainly be old fuel in those tanks (!).

Oversize

Grand Master
Anyone have some ideas on how to free up a seized pump from old fuel? A mate soaks them in fresh fuel and taps on the sides with a block of soft wood. I'm thinking carby cleaner, but not sure if something else might be better.... It actually smells like thinners but I doubt it would do the pumps much good!

Oversize

Grand Master
Well after playing with lots of pumps I can say it's a common problem since the pumps are mounted below the fuel tank and any condensation formed in the tank sinks to the lowest point, which is inside the pump. If the pump is seized as a result the best option is to bite the bullet and replace the pump and filter and flush the lines before attempting to start the engine.

My biggest headache right now is what to do with 40L of stale fuel... Any environmentally responsible suggestions?

abl567

Super Moderator
Use it for weed control on your property, it even kills woody weeds like lantana and is in my experience non residual. Pour it around the base of the weeds, don't put it in a sprayer