• IMG_3653.jpg
    IMG_3653.jpg
    430.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3654.jpg
    IMG_3654.jpg
    410.2 KB · Views: 9

Styria

The Godfather
Mark, that plastic trim strip down the 'A' pillar is one of the most difficult and awkward parts to remove. For a start, the metal clip that secures it at the top under the dash has got an absolutely vicious 'bite' to it. In addition, there is another clip behind it half way down and, again, nothing seems to want to give.....and to make matters worse, at one stage a few years ago, the new replacement cost was $300.00.

http://www.topklasse.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4525&page=2

That 'A' pillar area is awkward - until one actually has to do the job, they don't appreciate its difficulty in refitting the side cover for the pillar, the side header panel that runs all the way from front to rear - no thanks, it's difficult to say the least. Regards Styria

N.B. OMG, all that work, Mark......and, in the end, for nothing. Mind you, to really get to know a car, is to dismantle it completely. Look at me - you become a master of information...you can talk about things for hours.....without saying anything!

Last edited:
OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
It was a monumental job and not one I'd like to repeat. Quite dangerous without a helper since the structure it very dependent on all parts remaining in position. Without them rigidity it out the window making them unpredictable. At one point I nearly had it all roll over like a capsizing ship!

The exercise was necessary to obtain sections for the rust repairs on other cars. It was definitely an eye opener where I learned so much about the 116. Extremely strong is how I would describe them; more now than ever!

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
If you wish to keep your W116 forever you’d be well advised to modify the inner guards and firewall so this doesn’t happen to you...

328-C0319-D923-4-CF8-902-F-0687-AAECFE65.jpg

9089-B7-C9-C65-F-4-BB5-A7-B1-3-CF50-F2-F58-E4.jpg

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
There is a tiny hole on the passenger side (which always blocks up) but nothing at all on the driver side near the fuse box. And the damn firewall insulation traps moisture to guarantee a terminal outcome for all but the most dedicated enthusiast!

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Not Green Lantern since she’s long gone but it’s interesting the rust forms in the same place due to a lack of proper drainage and maintenance. I can see the floor through the hole and you can also see it from the floor up and under the dash. Something else to check during a pre-purchase inspection!